ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 5th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #1
zzr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 1999 ZZR 250

Advice needed on engine work

Hi guys

I've been doing up a 1999 zzr 250. Taken apart and put back together.
I've basically done everything except paint the fuel tank and repair/paint the fairings. And the engine...

The engine has done about 20 000 km (12 000 miles) but the bike has not been cared for (broken oil sight glass, fork oil never changed, seized brake pistons, bad chain and sprockets...).
I read the cam chain gets worn out if used with low oil, so I bought a new one and I've bought new clutch plates.

The thing is I'm pretty worn out fixing everything else, both budget and personally. And my working space is limited to say the least.
So the less engine work the better (plus less chance of me stuffing something up, I guess). At the same time, it's been a good learning experience so far, so I'd learn even more having a look around in there.

So - should I bother going through everything and replacing the cam chain and cleaning the carbon off the pistons and doing new piston rings and new gaskets everywhere and so on...
Or - just new oil and filter? And spark plugs and valve clearance check.

There were no engine problems when I bought it (none I knew about, anyway...)
The only thing I've noticed taking off the engine covers is that the clutch plate housing has scratches.

Apologies for the bad wording. Hopefully you get the gist of the question.
zzr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
If the bike's been treated like crap and you're confident you can clean off all the carbon, go right ahead and do it. Otherwise, just leave it alone. Don't avoid doing it just for sake of laziness, though.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #3
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Think of it this way, would you bet you life on it? If you are questioning it replace it.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
zzr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 1999 ZZR 250

Thanks for the input.
I've been a perfectionist up to this point so I'm very confident in the suspension and brakes and stuff like that.
I think it might not be worth the time and expense to go through the entire engine when there's no evidence of anything wrong with it.
I'm pretty sure I'll just do the basic stuff and then fire it up and see how it sounds. If after a bit of a careful trial it all seems good then I think I'll leave the overhaul for some day down the track when it will be more worthwhile.

With the way people drive, I don't think I can bet my life on being safe on a bike but I'm pretty sure the engine won't be the thing to get me in trouble *fingers crossed, touch wood*
zzr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #5
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
@zzr very true, cagers and truckers are to busy to pay attention.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote