ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Group Rides and Local Events

Old April 30th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #1081
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
^Thank you so much! I'm actually going to be traveling for June and July, so I'd have missed the nice hot riding weather anyway... I'm going to hang onto the cash and save up for a new bike in the fall or winter. Mourning my loss, but it's out of my hands now.
Then maybe you can get that new-gen swag. .

Old April 30th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #1082
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
how bout this new gen swag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1306791972_52b6b.jpg (109.6 KB, 7 views)
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1083
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
fuel injection is a wonderful thing
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:35 AM   #1084
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I got my eye out for a 2003+ SV650... under 25k miles, cosmetic damage fine, trying to keep it under $2200. If you hear/see/know of anything give me a shout!

That or a stellar deal on a new-gen.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:00 PM   #1085
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...451410866.html

Say it ain't so!
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:03 PM   #1086
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Yeah, it's heartbreaking... Sirref is gonna take it at the end of the month for the track, but I thought I'd put it on C-list just to see if anyone bites.

It's so depressing, I bought it back salvage and it's sitting in my yard. I'm waiting and keeping the tags as long as I can so when my parents aren't home I might ride it around with the bent handlebar.

**** happens I guess. I loved that bike more than all the other material things in my life combined

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:15 PM   #1087
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Did you even get to ride the bike for a year? Don't wait too long. You can get a refund for the 2nd year from your registration fee when you return your tag. But you have to fill out a form and they don't tell you unless you ask.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #1088
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^Thanks for the info. I'll ask them.

I've had the bike just shy of 10 months. Only put 2500 miles on it.

On the bright side insurance is giving me $2200 which is a lot more than I'd ever get by selling it with a clean title. I'm going to put the money into my future bike fund and start shopping around for an SV650 in September. Missing a whole season but I was planning (and still am) traveling the whole months of June and July.

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #1089
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Pricing a 2005 Ninja 250 for DC craigslist

My Ninja 250 might be on craigslist soon.

Any idea how I should price it?

2005 Pre-gen
*Less than 10k miles - I got it with a little over 5k miles less than 2 years ago
*A few scuffs from being dropped, but no broken plastics or anything major
*It was dropped by the previous owner which I didn't notice when I bought it, and I replaced the handlebar, holder and shift lever.
*I also recently replaced the shift lever and a turn signal lens when I dropped it in a parking lot over the winter.
*Corrosion marks on the tailpipe because the previous owner added a wet battery but neglected to include a drain tube
*Bridgestone Battlax BT-45s with about 4500 miles and plenty of tread - I think they were manufactured in 2012 or late 2011
*Battery is about 1.5 years old
*Chain, sprockets, and exhaust are original.

I'll give it a complete wash and clean, oil and filter change with Rotella Synthetic, lube the cables, and sync the carbs - which I never got around to when I cleaned the carb at 9k miles. The spark plugs were changed, valves adjusted to spec, and coolant drained and filled - all at 9k miles.

It should pass a Maryland inspection as far as I know. I'm hoping to get a premium by selling a well maintained pregen. It'll be ready to ride for the entire season by the time I list it. When I got it, it had been sitting for 2 years and needed loads of work.

I really hate to sell it, but I got a bike that will handle highways better.

My original plan was to get the GPZ900r running, but I ran into problems with the fuel tank. I just haven't gotten around to finishing it. The previous owner lined the tank poorly, and it has bubbled and peeled. There's also light rust inside. Fun. Now that the weather is nicer, I'd rather go out and ride in my free time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg event_356720952.jpeg (107.5 KB, 6 views)

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #1090
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Price it around $2000 and let them haggle down from there

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1091
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I listed my '99 with 13k miles for like $1700 and got plenty of hits, aim high. What do you wanna get for it realistically? Honestly people are gonna still ask about it if it's a few hundred out of their price range, you might be cheating yourself if you go with anything less than $1600. I've seen some in the area on C-list for up to $2200, no one's gonna pay that for a 2005 but you can be damn sure they're gonna ask about it. If I were you I'd go with like $1900 and see who bites... Congrats on the highway-worthy bike!

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #1092
jaesun
ninjette.org member

I'm paying for it based on the guy's word and photos... Once I get it titled and have a temporary tags and license plate, I'm going to meet him halfway and drive it down here. He has a trailer and will haul it. I'll drive up in a minivan and have it follow me back home just in case.

It's another iconic bike that I've always wanted. I just hope that I don't meet the sausage creature face to face like Hunter S. Thompson did when he wrote about it.

2002 Ducati SS900 with 3600 miles. Last year of production. Just serviced at the Ducati dealer (so he says).

I hope I can handle it. I've gotten a lot better since that first started. I even took a course on cornering, which helped a lot because I was sh*t when I first started. I've been out to 211 by Skyline twice in the past month and really enjoy the twisties on the 250. I just don't enjoy getting there and back on the highway. Especially when it feels like I'm about to be blown out of my lane by crosswinds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (210.8 KB, 3 views)

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #1093
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I hear you on the winds and highway stuff. Nice one on the cornering class, where'd you take it?

I SPY A DUCAAAATI!!!!

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #1094
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I listed my '99 with 13k miles for like $1700 and got plenty of hits, aim high. What do you wanna get for it realistically? Honestly people are gonna still ask about it if it's a few hundred out of their price range, you might be cheating yourself if you go with anything less than $1600. I've seen some in the area on C-list for up to $2200, no one's gonna pay that for a 2005 but you can be damn sure they're gonna ask about it. If I were you I'd go with like $1900 and see who bites... Congrats on the highway-worthy bike!
To be honest, I'd be happy if it went to a good home. I don't want to sell it some ass who is going to immediately flip it and take advantage of my generosity. I'm not a desperate seller.

The bike treated me very well. It deserves to be out there.

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #1095
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
If I was in the market I would buy it from you. But I'm waiting 2 months at least, and I'm kinda set on the SV650. I know what you mean, though. I would list for around $1900. You'll need it to repair your new bike.

Old May 5th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #1096
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I hear you on the winds and highway stuff. Nice one on the cornering class, where'd you take it?

I SPY A DUCAAAATI!!!!
I started late in the Fall of 2012, and the only location that I could find for the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic was down by Potomac Mills. It was cold in November too.

To be honest, I probably could have saved the money and done the lessons on my own. But just to have that extra level of confidence made a huge difference. I still freak out when I see gravel on turns. I need to trust my bike more. But I'm enjoying group rides. I get better when I follow more experienced riders too, and I'm at the point where I don't embarrass myself.

I really want to sign up for the California Superbike school in the near future. I figured that if I would get more of the course if I had some experience on a bike closer to the performance of a BMW S1000RR than a pregen ninja.

But if you take the Lee Parks course, sign up at a community college. Tax credits!

Old May 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #1097
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaesun View Post
I really want to sign up for the California Superbike school in the near future. I figured that if I would get more of the course if I had some experience on a bike closer to the performance of a BMW S1000RR than a pregen ninja.
I try to practice all of the exercises they run you through to the best of my ability from time to time. When I started doing that was when I saw the quickest noticeable improvement in my ability to control my bike and go faster safer

Naturally I can't get it quite right on my own but when I hit the track this summer I'm intending to get a control rider to follow me around the track a few laps and tell me what I should work on to improve my control over the bike.

Old May 5th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #1098
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
damn you people with real jobs

Old May 5th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #1099
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I may have a good job but I don't consider it to be a career job.

Old May 6th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #1100
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Yeah same here. I have 0 desire to work with my company for the rest of my life. Despite the good pay.

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #1101
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
lol I have 0 desire to work for any company and I have no pay

ain't life wonderful

Old May 7th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #1102
dreamwork
ninjette.org member

Name: Taylor

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R - 2009

New to DMV Area

Hi all,

My name is Taylor. My girlfriend and I just moved to Alexandria in January and I was curious how many active riders there are here. I've been having a few mechanical problems with my bike ever since I brought it up (I never got around to winterizing the bike and it had somehow gotten quite a bit of water in the fuel over the winter). If anyone knows a friendly expert bike mechanic nearby, I could use the advice. In addition, I'm curious if/when people do group rides! Thanks,

Taylor

P.S. my ninja is a black 2009 and I ride in all black leathers with a gold visor
dreamwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #1103
GONZOtheMAN
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 R6, 1981 CX500, 2003 Ninja250 and counting

hey there. i've posted in the new member section but this thread seems more close to home.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168451

there is my original thread. i recently picked up a blue 09 250 for my fiance. we've been out twice now and she loves it. i cant wait to try it out on the track haha.

i'm located in glen burnie MD. usually do my riding out in the howard county area.
GONZOtheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #1104
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Hey Taylor, I always recommend Meyers Cycle Engineering in Kensington, MD. But that might be kinda far from you. They're great people and they are fair and know what they're doing. If you go, tell them Katie with the black 250 sent you!

I would avoid Cycles of Silver Spring FYI. They were the opposite of everything I'd want out of a shop experience...

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1105
dreamwork
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the recommendation, Katie! I'm going to try and troubleshoot the issues myself during the next few free weekends. If I have no luck, I'll head over to Meyers. If I tell them you sent me, are they going to give me trouble for mentioning your name :-P?

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #1106
dreamwork
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZOtheMAN View Post
hey there. i've posted in the new member section but this thread seems more close to home.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168451

there is my original thread. i recently picked up a blue 09 250 for my fiance. we've been out twice now and she loves it. i cant wait to try it out on the track haha.

i'm located in glen burnie MD. usually do my riding out in the howard county area.
Welcome to the ninjette club ;-)
I'm currently trying to show my gf the ropes in a nearby large open parking lot until she gets enough confidence to take an MSF course. The stress of thinking about her falling and getting hurt (and never wanting to ride again) makes me need comfort alcohol.

Old May 7th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #1107
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Hahaha I just go in there and chat and the last time they made any money off me was a long time ago so I try and send people there.. that and they really are an awesome little shop, it's just 2 guys that work there and they're really good to do business with as well as chat with. For the few things they did to my bike I always felt it was in really good hands.

Re the MSF course, I was way more comfortable having a professional teach me than I would have been if it was anyone else. They are there to teach you from the beginning and you learn on a bike that's already been dropped and abused so it doesn't matter. I had never sat on a bike before and I was shocked at how efficiently (and kindly) they got us all riding comfortably. but I didn't know anyone who rode at the time... how's she liking riding so far??

Old May 8th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #1108
GONZOtheMAN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwork View Post
Welcome to the ninjette club ;-)
I'm currently trying to show my gf the ropes in a nearby large open parking lot until she gets enough confidence to take an MSF course. The stress of thinking about her falling and getting hurt (and never wanting to ride again) makes me need comfort alcohol.
i feel your pain. 2 years ago i bought her a ttr125 dirtbike so she could learn with somthing small off of the pavement. last year she took the MSF course with a friend of ours and my father as well. they said that she was the best in the class at slow turns. at first i was terified of having her out on the road but now i see she is picking it up quickly. so that makes me feel better. i cant wait until we go to the track together. i know she'll go crazy for it haha

Old May 8th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1109
GONZOtheMAN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Re the MSF course, I was way more comfortable having a professional teach me than I would have been if it was anyone else. They are there to teach you from the beginning and you learn on a bike that's already been dropped and abused so it doesn't matter. I had never sat on a bike before and I was shocked at how efficiently (and kindly) they got us all riding comfortably. but I didn't know anyone who rode at the time... how's she liking riding so far??
MSF is deffinitely the way to go. i'd love to go back for the advanced course... total control seems like a good course as well. i feel like i'll never have money to take those extra courses because i'm so addicted to the track haha

Old May 9th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #1110
SON1C
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

talking to a couple guys on ninja300, hoping to setup a dmv ride soon -- the first may be in md and the second in nova -- just a heads up if anyone here is interested

Old May 12th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #1111
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I SPY A DUCAAAATI!!!!
I am a dumb ass.

I got the title for the Ducati today thinking that I could transfer the title, get a temporary tag, and then have it all insured in my name so I could drive it down this upcoming weekend. The Ducati is up at his house in New Jersey.

He said that the title was clear, so I never bothered to specifically ask if the Ducati had been salvaged... Of course I find out that there's a S in the New Jersey title.

So now I'm going to try to back out of this. I already paid the guy. I'm hoping to take a slight loss and pay for his expenses. New Jersey title replacement fee and whatever this guy will scam me for. Lesson learned. I hope there's a good outcome.

Maybe I was meant to be with my Ninja 250 for the entire summer. I was already starting to miss it.

Old May 13th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #1112
dreamwork
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I agree. I took an MSF course before I even bought my bike. After the 3 day course, I was confident enough to go out and buy my ninja and begin taking on side streets. Hopefully I can get her enrolled in a course this summer.

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #1113
dreamwork
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
talking to a couple guys on ninja300, hoping to setup a dmv ride soon -- the first may be in md and the second in nova -- just a heads up if anyone here is interested
keep us updated

Old May 16th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #1114
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

Quote:
Hey Taylor, I always recommend Meyers Cycle Engineering in Kensington, MD. But that might be kinda far from you. They're great people and they are fair and know what they're doing. If you go, tell them Katie with the black 250 sent you!

I would avoid Cycles of Silver Spring FYI. They were the opposite of everything I'd want out of a shop experience...
i never been to cycles of silver spring, is that one that is close to the train tracks near silver spring?

Why dont you like it? never been there, but i've seen it from the road if thats the one im thinking.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #1115
scorch
ninjette.org guru

an interesting subject. now that i do my own maintenance i pretty much dont take bikes to shops anymore. But i have had nothing but horrible times with shops when i was starting with motorcycling.

Anyone here have some horror stories to tell?

Old May 16th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1116
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
i never been to cycles of silver spring, is that one that is close to the train tracks near silver spring?

Why dont you like it? never been there, but i've seen it from the road if thats the one im thinking.
I got there and waited 40 minutes for them to do my inspection, then they failed it for a bunch of stupid things and quoted me $780 to fix it. Then they said 'oh, btw, a buddy of mine has a ninja 250 that he's trying to sell the front end of, you could probably have it for a couple hundred.' I asked what a couple hundred is, and he said $600.... I just felt like they didn't care at all, were trying to rip me off, and were telling me i had to pay $35 for a throttle cable adjustment when it was just tightening one nut with a wrench.

Old May 16th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #1117
scorch
ninjette.org guru

geez, that is bike shops for you. i've had many similar experiences throughout the area in bike shops.

Old May 16th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1118
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I'm only ever going to Meyers Cycle Engineering in Kensington. I'm in love with that shop lol

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #1119
dreamwork
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm only ever going to Meyers Cycle Engineering in Kensington. I'm in love with that shop lol
I took the ninja to Taylor's Motos in Alexandria to get the carbs taken out and cleaned. The mechanic seemed like a noob and I'm not sure if he's ever taken a bike apart before...

I'll let you know how it turns out :-/

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #1120
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Yeah let us know! I'm part of the University of Maryland moto group and we have a google doc going for all the shops we've all been to and our experiences with them. It could be cool to do something like that on Ninjette, sorted by state and city...?