ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 13th, 2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Name: Tylor

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Winter is upgrade season.

So with these few months of unrideable weather, I've decided to go for a few upgrades. I've already got the carbs out and ready to go through, but there's a few other things I want to do that I don't know as much about.

Can anyone recommend a good digital speedo/Rach? I see lots of cheap ones on Amazon, but I'm not sure what most people are using.

I'd like to replace the rear shock, which shocks are good choices? I've read the zx600 shock is a good option, but I'd like advice from people who actually ride and work on these bikes.

And lastly, I would like to drop a tooth or two on my drive sprocket, and get a new chain. I don't care much about top speed, just how quickly I get there. Is this a good idea? What all goes into doing something like that?

Thanks so much to anyone who helps me out.
Tylorwashere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylorwashere View Post
And lastly, I would like to drop a tooth or two on my drive sprocket, and get a new chain. I don't care much about top speed, just how quickly I get there. Is this a good idea? What all goes into doing something like that?
What sprocket is on it now? The stock 14 makes for a ridiculously low first gear and many of us go up a tooth in the front and down a few in the rear. A smaller front sprocket helps off the line, but that's about it.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Changing 1 tooth on the countershaft usually changes the RPMs about 500.

Gearing down (-1T on the countershaft or adding teeth to the rear) will certainly help acceleration, but your cruising RPMs will begin to get excessive. On the hwy the little Ninjas are spinning pretty good with stock gearing, and some owners will trade some acceleration for a calmer cruise by adding a tooth to the countershaft.

Koso makes a nice gauge set-up.

Some amount of improvement comes with a New Gen (2008-2012) shock on a Pre Gen (up to 2007) like you have. Swapping shocks from other bikes is tricky - overall length, spring rate (linkage or not), and damping can all be off enough to cause handing problems.

A good set of tires goes a long way to improving handling and safety.

The proper rate fork springs (and fork oil) helps as well. The stockers are too light for all but the lightest riders. Sonic Springs is a good vendor for those.

Most of the time you are best to replace the chain and sprockets as a set. Worn sprocket with a new chain can wear the chain quickly and present other problems.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2018, 03:24 PM   #4
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
For the rear do the gsxr600r mod works great and cheap.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2018, 03:27 PM   #5
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
And here is great diy https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214238
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #6
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the input guys. I see I have alot of research to do still about changing sprocket teeth, this definitely put me in the right direction.

Old January 13th, 2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Changing 1 tooth on the countershaft usually changes the RPMs about 500.

Gearing down (-1T on the countershaft or adding teeth to the rear) will certainly help acceleration, but your cruising RPMs will begin to get excessive. On the hwy the little Ninjas are spinning pretty good with stock gearing, and some owners will trade some acceleration for a calmer cruise by adding a tooth to the countershaft.

Koso makes a nice gauge set-up.

Some amount of improvement comes with a New Gen (2008-2012) shock on a Pre Gen (up to 2007) like you have. Swapping shocks from other bikes is tricky - overall length, spring rate (linkage or not), and damping can all be off enough to cause handing problems.

A good set of tires goes a long way to improving handling and safety.

The proper rate fork springs (and fork oil) helps as well. The stockers are too light for all but the lightest riders. Sonic Springs is a good vendor for those.

Most of the time you are best to replace the chain and sprockets as a set. Worn sprocket with a new chain can wear the chain quickly and present other problems.
My dad does alot of work rebuilding suspension, I asked him about the forks and he said it would be no problem so that is definitely going to happen as well. So is the zx600 rear shock a good choice?

Old January 13th, 2018, 04:27 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Another option is a newgen rear shock. It worked wonders for my pregen.

Old January 14th, 2018, 02:15 AM   #9
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Another option is a newgen rear shock. It worked wonders for my pregen.
Off of just the newgen 250r?

Old January 14th, 2018, 02:31 AM   #10
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
So with these few months of unrideable weather, I've decided to go for a few upgrades. I've already got the carbs out and ready to go through, but there's a few other things I want to do that I don't know as much about.

Can anyone recommend a good digital speedo/Rach? I see lots of cheap ones on Amazon, but I'm not sure what most people are using.

I'd like to replace the rear shock, which shocks are good choices? I've read the zx600 shock is a good option, but I'd like advice from people who actually ride and work on these bikes.

Thanks so much to anyone who helps me out.
Digital speedo and tach;

https://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor?p=2?p=2

Shock;

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com

Do some serious reading about sprockets on ninja250.org and elsewhere. I'm running 15/42 sprockets. A smaller front sprocket will accelerate chain wear. If you must try to increase acceleration increase the size of the rear sprocket. Either way you're gonna beat the snot out of your engine.

By the way, I installed a Kaw EX500 rear shock and I'm happy with it. $50.00 on E-bay. Most of the "hair-on-fire" riders here would not approve. To do it over I probably would have gone the Hagon route but it's expensive.

Bill

Old January 14th, 2018, 08:55 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Gsxr-600 shock lowers rear end about 15mm
Gsxr-1000 shock raises rear end about 5mm
Trail Tech Vapor dash is good.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Off of just the newgen 250r?
Yes, it's a common mod to get a stock newgen rear shock cheaply and put it on a pregen. My '05 was way too softly sprung, and that simple change made it just right for me, at about 190 lbs with full gear. Damping is fine for spirited street riding, the Dragon, etc.. Sonic front springs fixed that end at a very reasonable price too. No more bottoming out during extreme stopping. The stiffer suspension has the added benefit of increasing cornering clearance noticeably too.

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:41 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
My dad does alot of work rebuilding suspension, I asked him about the forks and he said it would be no problem so that is definitely going to happen as well. So is the zx600 rear shock a good choice?
Not sure - but chances are no.

The New Gen 250 shock is generally the best low-cost option.

The best option is a top-notch aftermarket shock (Ohlins, Penske, etc) with adjustable damping and the exact correct spring rate for your weight and riding style. Figure around $1000 for that.

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:59 AM   #14
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:

The best option is a top-notch aftermarket shock (Ohlins, Penske, etc) with adjustable damping and the exact correct spring rate for your weight and riding style. Figure around $1000 for that.
Yeah! Tina approves!!!

Old January 14th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #15
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:

I had an afterthought. I changed my fork oil to PJ1 15wt. No bottoming even under heavy braking and I weigh in at about 182 lbs but I may not drive as aggressively as others.

Bill

Old January 14th, 2018, 12:09 PM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I had an afterthought. I changed my fork oil to PJ1 15wt. No bottoming even under heavy braking and I weigh in at about 182 lbs but I may not drive as aggressively as others.
Adding more oil can help too, leaving less room for air, and effectively stiffening things up, but you need to be careful and methodical.

Old January 14th, 2018, 12:10 PM   #17
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes, it's a common mod to get a stock newgen rear shock cheaply and put it on a pregen. My '05 was way too softly sprung, and that simple change made it just right for me, at about 190 lbs with full gear. Damping is fine for spirited street riding, the Dragon, etc.. Sonic front springs fixed that end at a very reasonable price too. No more bottoming out during extreme stopping. The stiffer suspension has the added benefit of increasing cornering clearance noticeably too.
That's about what I weigh, so you're happy with your setup now? I just know right now I feel like I'm floating on off ramps and it kinda scares me. I forget the exact model, but i got Pirelli street tires and that did help, but I can tell most of the issue is in my suspension

Old January 14th, 2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
That's about what I weigh, so you're happy with your setup now?
Absolutely I'm happy now. The motorcycle was $1,100, so I wasn't interested in high dollar upgrades. Now that I've done the front and rear for about $125 total, it feels great.

There's some information about suspension improvements here: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Suspension

Old January 14th, 2018, 01:20 PM   #19
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Absolutely I'm happy now. The motorcycle was $1,100, so I wasn't interested in high dollar upgrades. Now that I've done the front and rear for about $125 total, it feels great.

There's some information about suspension improvements here: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Suspension
I'm in the same boat, payed 700 for mine. It wouldn't run without the choke on and the front tire was so bad I don't know how i got it home. You could tell the people who owned it didn't know how to take care of it. It's slowly coming along though

Old January 14th, 2018, 03:23 PM   #20
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
RE: Gearing

Stock is 14/45.
I've run 14/45, 14/47, 15/45, and 15/43.

14/47 was a riot for rolling on out of a corner, but I found it to be busy on back roads and insanely low on the interstate to get to and from said back roads. You had to be in the right gear every time or you ran out of tach too quickly when exiting a corner. I never seemed to be able to casually run up between corners and it caused me extra shifts up and down, which isn't really my style when flowing a back road. Under 55 mph it was fine.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2018, 11:40 PM   #21
DannoXYZ

I really like 16x45t on my street bike. Really makes for calm smooth cruising on commute or back roads.

On my race-bike, I'm using 18x58t on 428 conversion. That's about same as stock without causing as much chain-wrap.

Old January 15th, 2018, 07:18 AM   #22
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
That's about what I weigh, so you're happy with your setup now? I just know right now I feel like I'm floating on off ramps and it kinda scares me. I forget the exact model, but i got Pirelli street tires and that did help, but I can tell most of the issue is in my suspension
Most likely a damping issue. The decent New Gen shock (to replace the worn Pre Gen shock) and at least new fork oil (15W is probably what you want) should take care of that.

The New Gen shock will raise the rear slightly, and if the fork spring are too soft for your weight it might make the front sag more.

My son is <150# w/gear, and he went with stiffer Sonic Spring (.70 and 15W oil - pretty sure) in front and a New Gen shock. He rides pretty aggressively at times, but also does some hwy miles, and was happy with the overall improvements they made for the minimal cost.

Old January 15th, 2018, 12:52 PM   #23
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Most likely a damping issue. The decent New Gen shock (to replace the worn Pre Gen shock) and at least new fork oil (15W is probably what you want) should take care of that.

The New Gen shock will raise the rear slightly, and if the fork spring are too soft for your weight it might make the front sag more.

My son is <150# w/gear, and he went with stiffer Sonic Spring (.70 and 15W oil - pretty sure) in front and a New Gen shock. He rides pretty aggressively at times, but also does some hwy miles, and was happy with the overall improvements they made for the minimal cost.
I'm definitely thinking this will be the route I go

Old January 16th, 2018, 10:20 AM   #24
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

I swap in a new-gen 250 / 300 rear shock on all of my builds. For about $35, and zero modifications, it's my go to.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:12 PM   #25
DannoXYZ

I have new-gen rear-shock for sale $35 if you want it.

Old January 16th, 2018, 12:27 PM   #26
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent_too_much View Post
I swap in a new-gen 250 / 300 rear shock on all of my builds. For about $35, and zero modifications, it's my go to.
Sounds frugal to me.

And who says you spent too much?

Old January 16th, 2018, 01:13 PM   #27
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sounds frugal to me.

And who says you spent too much?
An ohlins shock costs more than I paid for my bike lol. 35 for a newgen sounds great to me

Old January 16th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #28
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
An ohlins shock costs more than I paid for my bike lol. 35 for a newgen sounds great to me
Not many people really need to go that far unless they are racing. There aren't any moderately-priced "upgraded" shocks out there for the Ninja that I've seen.

Set-up with good tires, correct rate fork springs, fresh fork oil, and a New Gen shock, the Ninja should be able to handle most any reasonable street riding.

Old January 16th, 2018, 05:02 PM   #29
DannoXYZ

You are risking your life with anything but Ohlins!!! If there's a better product, why not go with it?

There's no way to predict when you'll hit that bump mid-corner and slide-out with a sub-par non-Ohlins shock. And as luck would have it, they'll be a 18-wheeler semi coming towards you in the other lane. Get Ohlins and sail through that corner with ease or crash and die with anything else. It's your choice!

Old January 16th, 2018, 05:48 PM   #30
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
You are risking your life with anything but Ohlins!!! If there's a better product, why not go with it?

There's no way to predict when you'll hit that bump mid-corner and slide-out with a sub-par non-Ohlins shock. And as luck would have it, they'll be a 18-wheeler semi coming towards you in the other lane. Get Ohlins and sail through that corner with ease or crash and die with anything else. It's your choice!
Whew! As luck would have it, I just put an Ohlins shock on my SV!

Good to know I averted disaster!