ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 5th, 2018, 11:15 PM   #1
achimedes
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r

2012 250r mods for tall riders

I'm 6' and just picked up a 2012 ninja 250. The oem seat is too curved and makes me slide forward into a cramped position against the tank. I've been looking around and found these custom seats from revzilla

https://www.revzilla.com/parts/2012-..._holiday=false

and I am not sure if they would give me a more flat position that doesn't push me forward. Does anyone have any recommendations / experience that could help?

I also bought a set of 1" bar risers today that I hope will help with ergonomics
achimedes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2018, 12:17 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
welcome, I own a PreGen Ninjette and Ninja 500 I'm also 6'3" with 34" inseam, so I feel your pain.

I personally lowered my risers, and went with a set of footpegs that drop down about 30mm, and that help a bunch. I also have Corbin saddles for both bikes.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2018, 03:52 AM   #3
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by achimedes View Post
I'm 6' and just picked up a 2012 ninja 250. The oem seat is too curved and makes me slide forward into a cramped position against the tank. I've been looking around and found these custom seats from revzilla

https://www.revzilla.com/parts/2012-..._holiday=false

and I am not sure if they would give me a more flat position that doesn't push me forward. Does anyone have any recommendations / experience that could help?

I also bought a set of 1" bar risers today that I hope will help with ergonomics
I'm 6'2" and I have the same issue. I plan on reupholstering my seat by filling the depressed section immediately behind the tank with a piece of good quality firm seat foam and purchasing new Naugahyde. I reupholstered my Honda's seat for the same reason. Also the additional padding would be welcome. It's not that hard to do. I picked-up some techniques from You Tube a few years back.

Bill

Old February 6th, 2018, 06:39 AM   #4
achimedes
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
welcome, I own a PreGen Ninjette and Ninja 500 I'm also 6'3" with 34" inseam, so I feel your pain.

I personally lowered my risers, and went with a set of footpegs that drop down about 30mm, and that help a bunch. I also have Corbin saddles for both bikes.
Do the corbin saddles give you a more upright riding position?

Old February 6th, 2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm 6'2" and thought exactly what you did when I first got my pregen. After putting a few thousand miles on it, I got completely used to it, and it doesn't bother me a bit. As long as you can tolerate bent knees, it's not a problem.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

If your new to the sport bikes, you need o use your core muscles, and legs. As @Triple Jim.said you get use to it, and learn body position is key.

I've been riding about 40 years, sport bikes since the 80s, so I'm used to it.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 6th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #7
achimedes
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
If your new to the sport bikes, you need o use your core muscles, and legs. As @Triple Jim.said you get use to it, and learn body position is key.

I've been riding about 40 years, sport bikes since the 80s, so I'm used to it.
Do you know of any youtube videos/have any tips for proper sports bike riding position? I could really use some advice

Old February 6th, 2018, 11:39 AM   #8
achimedes
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm 6'2" and thought exactly what you did when I first got my pregen. After putting a few thousand miles on it, I got completely used to it, and it doesn't bother me a bit. As long as you can tolerate bent knees, it's not a problem.
Is your riding position all the way pushed up against the tank (basically dry humping it)?

Old February 6th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I just noticed you're talking about a newgen 250, and mine's an '05, so our seats are different (sorry).

The front of the pregen seat is saddle shaped, so there's only on place you can be, fore and aft, and it's pretty close to the tank. The first few times I rode the bike, I'd try to move back and the seat would force me forward, and that caused distress as my underwear pulled tight. I learned to just sit in the saddle where it wants me to sit, and now things are fine. Clearly if I wanted to ride across the country on that bike, I might want a different shape to allow me to change position occasionally, but for a couple hundred miles, it's fine for me.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2018, 03:12 PM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by achimedes View Post
Do you know of any youtube videos/have any tips for proper sports bike riding position? I could really use some advice
If your riding on the street, it's a matter of your comfort. Using your core and thigh muscles will help you a bunch. It's just a matter of time, you need to ride more. If your new to sport bikes, then you just have to ride it and find out what works for you the best.

A different saddle might help, but the cost money, another option is a DIY project the OEM saddle. Easily enough done, and you can pick up an OEM saddle off eBay cheap enough. There's a ton of videos on YouTube.

I myself has done a few, even my 250 I did Modification OEM seat

til I picked up a Corbin dirt cheap.

ZX-2R BLOG