ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 20th, 2018, 08:54 AM   #1
AubreyGuad
ninjette.org member

Name: Aubrey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Will not run properly.

I have had the carbs off, and THROUGHLY cleaned. I put new needle valves, idle screws, springs, and o-rings in them. Runs with the choke but does not want to run on its own. I have tried to adjust the idle screws in the carb to get it to run, but it still doesn't want to. When I put the carb back together, I did my homework and turned the idle screws out 2 1/2 for staters. When adjusting after the bike warmed up, I had them almost completely out and it still did not want to idle by itself. So I am not sure if my issue is on the carb? Could I possibly have a vacuum issue, if it does not want to pull fuel? Tried to figure this out all afternoon yesterday.

Mind you this bike has been through some things with previous owners, so I did not get it in the best shape either.
AubreyGuad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
My first guess is that when you were cleaning, you missed seeing some little passages somewhere in the idle circuits.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2018, 09:39 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyGuad View Post
I have had the carbs off, and THROUGHLY cleaned. I put new needle valves, idle screws, springs, and o-rings in them. Runs with the choke but does not want to run on its own. I have tried to adjust the idle screws in the carb to get it to run, but it still doesn't want to. When I put the carb back together, I did my homework and turned the idle screws out 2 1/2 for staters. When adjusting after the bike warmed up, I had them almost completely out and it still did not want to idle by itself. So I am not sure if my issue is on the carb? Could I possibly have a vacuum issue, if it does not want to pull fuel? Tried to figure this out all afternoon yesterday.

Mind you this bike has been through some things with previous owners, so I did not get it in the best shape either.
That sounds like the idle mixture passages may be plugged (like TJ said...).

Can you get it to run by opening the throttle slightly? You may need to adjust the idle speed screw. Syncing the carbs, once it will run, is also a good idea.

You can check that you have fuel in the floatbowls by opening the drains and catching the gas. The amounts should be the same with no signs of water or debris.

There is a filter at the carb inlet that can get plugged, and the petcock needs vacuum to open and flow fuel.

To check for a vacuum leak, spray carb cleaner around the boots between the carb and engine and listen for a change in RPMs.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2018, 11:23 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Did you confirm and measure flow-rate through each of the secret passages? Needs flossing with wire and soda-blasting to really clean. Carb-cleaner will not dissolve dried gas varnish that has turned to plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Here are the secret passages in the carbs. They are kindof hard to figure out sometimes and this picture guide will show where they are for cleaning purposes.

Carb Pilot jet Circuit

Carb Main Jet Circuit

Carb Fuel and Overflow Drain

Carb Diaphragm Intake, upper choke and vacuum ports

Carb Choke Circuit
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote