ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2018+ Ninja 400 > 2018+ Ninja 400 Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 16th, 2021, 12:07 PM   #1
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Ninja 400 Stock Springs

Hey Ninjettes!

Been a bit since I was on here since I went from the Ninja 250 to the R3, which I've been very happy with. However, I managed to snag a crashed Ninja 400 for cheap, and am aiming to race in SoCal.

That said, I still have two R3's, one street/track and one that was going to be my racebike, and may still be my B bike if funds permit.

Now onto the main topic. A fellow racer who had a pretty awesome first season as a novice racer at CVMA this year, placing a good number of 1st and 2nd places, crashed last round due to multi-racer pile up, and I managed to get some parts off the crashed bike since he opted to buy another one before this weekend's final round as he had a shot at winning the championship.

One of the things I realized looking at Racetech's suspension calculator and parts nubmers, is that the spring rate for the Ninja 400 is .77kg/mm, as opposed to the R3's .65kg/mm, and Racetech recommended .78kg/mm for my R3. Since they're both 41mm forks, with similar fully extended lengths, and the racetech spring part numbers are the same for both bikes, I snagged the Ninja 400 springs for my R3. All I had to do was cut new tube spacers (which I just cut from the Ninja 400 tubes I got with them).

However, my friend said he'd never touched the forks on the 400 he crashed, but the springs were progressive, which is cool but I can't find anywhere wether that's how it actually comes from Kawasaki or if they're aftermarket springs. The parts diagram doesn't show progressive springs, and every time I try and locate any info, it's all aftermarket talk and info.

Does anyone here know if they come from the factory like that? Sure, I could just pull my 400's springs, which I will when I install my pre-load adjusters, but those will take a moment to arrive, and I miss this group so I figured I'd make a post.

Last futzed with by NinjaBraap; April 16th, 2021 at 03:58 PM.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Good question - will bump it to the tech area for more views and hopefully some useful responses.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2021, 03:56 PM   #3
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Thanks man!

Old April 17th, 2021, 08:43 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Yes, the stock fork springs are progressive. I thought I took some pics when I swapped in my RaceTech springs, but I can't seem to find any.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2021, 02:55 PM   #5
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

As a follow up now sometime later, here's what I've learned.

1. Yes, they're progressive but a much improved spring rate that works better for street/track use over previous generations. I'm riding A group at Buttonwillow on stock fork springs, but with 20wt oil and pre-load adjusters. (I weigh 145lbs currently)

2. For those with an R3 (don't witch hunt me Ninjette's lol, I own both currently) swapping in the springs and spacers from the N400 to the R3 vastly improves it's handling. Highly recommend on a budget.

3. Despite my friends winning amateur class championship and me riding A group on stock springs, I'm still opting to get a full set of cartridge inserts for full damping control, that will also be sprung to my weight and riding ability.

In short, TLDR, for 90% of Ninja / Z 400 Riders out there, even for the track, the stock springs will take you into racing just fine, but are still worth upgrading.