ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 11th, 2020, 08:43 AM   #1
ssrsupermoto
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

non ethanol fuel question

I have been running 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel for 15k miles with no issue. They recently added a 90 octane non ethanol fuel pump at my local gas station. Curious if its worth it, 87 is $2.15 a gallon and 90 non ethanol is $3.12 a gallon.
ssrsupermoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2020, 08:52 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrsupermoto View Post
I have been running 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel for 15k miles with no issue. They recently added a 90 octane non ethanol fuel pump at my local gas station. Curious if its worth it, 87 is $2.15 a gallon and 90 non ethanol is $3.12 a gallon.

Old August 11th, 2020, 09:07 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I don't pay for non-ethanol gasoline if the price is much higher than the regular 87, and I haven't had any trouble with any of my four motorcycles due to ethanol. I'd like it if no gasoline had alcohol in it, but I'm not going to pay a dollar a gallon extra.

If you're going to store the bike for several months, like in the winter, running a tank of non-ethanol gasoline through it is probably a good idea.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2020, 11:18 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I run 87 non-ethanol in all my cycles and small engines.

My cycle gets almost double the MPG of my cars, so saving some on gas isn't a major concern.

Ethanol doesn't do anything good in gas for the most part, and because it contains and holds moisture it promotes rusting in a steel tank. Doesn't last as long as gas without and it's corrosive.

As long as it's available, I'll use it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2020, 11:44 AM   #5
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Non-eth not available in my particular area. Forced to use pump ethanol...I opt to use Stabil 360 Marine additive as a "preventative" in both my carbed and FI bikes, Toyota, lawn equipment, chainsaw. Fuel stabilizer, system cleaner, ethanol treatment...all in one. No issues to report, good results here.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 12th, 2020, 07:50 AM   #6
ssrsupermoto
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

After much research I am just going to run the 10% ethanol pump gas with Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers. This additive seems to take care any issues regarding ethanol fuel in carb bikes. Usage is 1oz of additive for 5 gallons of fuel, and it only comes out to $0.15 per 5 gallons. I ordered some 1oz bottles off Amazon to keep a couple under my seat to add when I get fuel at gas stations. I normally just fill up at home and use 5 gallon Jegs fuel jugs.
ssrsupermoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2020, 08:01 AM   #7
BuffBills
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

I have used Star Tron in my bikes for years and highly recommend.
BuffBills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2020, 01:53 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Seems problems with ethanol petrols only appear in non-sealed containers that sit for over 3-months. Alcohol is anhydrous and loves to suck moisture out of surrounding air. If you regularly use your carbed bikes, lawnmowers, chain-saws, no additives are needed.

Unfortunately, one can't always predict when something's gonna be sitting for while. I've made that mistake several times and find bikes non-responsive in spring-time. Quickly shipping carbs to ducatiman restores them to 100% factory-showroom condition! I've since learned to stick in Stabil-360 Marine formulae, which has higher concentration of stuff that prevents separation, so one bottle treats all my bikes in fall.

EFI systems have sealed tanks, so no issues with moisture getting into those. I recently re-built engine in racecar that had been sitting for 2-years. Had about 1/4-tank of e10 pump-gas in it last. When ready, I ran fuel-pump for about 2-minutes to mix up whatever was left in tank and collected about 100cc into cup to inspect. Slightly darker than normal, but no separations or any issues. Engine started right up on first crank!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2020, 06:22 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrsupermoto View Post
After much research I am just going to run the 10% ethanol pump gas with Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers. This additive seems to take care any issues regarding ethanol fuel in carb bikes. Usage is 1oz of additive for 5 gallons of fuel, and it only comes out to $0.15 per 5 gallons. I ordered some 1oz bottles off Amazon to keep a couple under my seat to add when I get fuel at gas stations. I normally just fill up at home and use 5 gallon Jegs fuel jugs.
Know that gas with ethanol will also make a carbed engine run leaner than gas without, so whichever you decide to run you should tune your carb for it.

Adjusting the idle mixture precisely for your fuel (and temperature) is probably the thing that will give you the most noticeable improvement (better idle and smoother transition as you open the throttle) with a carbed engine.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote