Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1
SV-Mark
Never enough time

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 690sm, ex250, kdx200, nc50, z50

sidestand clearance

anyone have have any problems scraping the sidestand on left hand corners, I was under the impression that the center stand would be the first to scrape, as people who are selling thier 250s with aftermarket exhaust that necessatate removal of the center stand are oh so fast to point out the increased cornering clearance gained by installing a loud exhaust pipe. Funny I dont remember my other 250s scraping, but today during a moderatly spirited pace ride over Pescadero creek road I ground it twice. I'm a 200 pounder with the stock shock, any quick fixxes,

Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Gary J has mentioned about scraping his sidestand in left hand corners; he says the key is to be extra smooth as well as getting off the bike a bit more so it doesn't have to lean as far. If the inputs to the bike aren't that smooth, it can cause the suspension to use a bit more of its travel and the bike is more likely to grind hard parts (which on the left side is the sidestand).

Quick fixes include adjusting riding technique to make scraping less likely, more comprehensive fixes include a stiffer shock in back and springs up front...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #3
SV-Mark
Never enough time

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 690sm, ex250, kdx200, nc50, z50

I'm going to go with the technique on this one for now, as I no longer have my good shock (sold) I have never gotten off the bike much but perhaps it is time to try.

Old September 4th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

In addition (or even instead of, at first) to getting off the bike more, the Keith Code method of getting the bike all the way over as quickly as possible helps. The faster it is leaned over, the less lean angle is needed for the corner. If the turn-in is gentle and slowly moves up to max lean, that max lean will be a few degrees steeper than otherwise.

Also, every time you scrape your sidestand your taking a few grams of weight off the bike, so it's not all bad, right?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote