ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 20th, 2020, 11:29 AM   #1
arthury
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250J; 2005 CBR1000RR

What would you replace at 8K miles?

I just acquired a new to me 12 year old Ninja 250R with 8K miles.

Just did these in the last couple of days:
- flushed coolant
- replaced oil & filter

Planning to do the following low-hanging fruits:
  1. Flush brake fluid
  2. Replace air filter
  3. Fuel filter
  4. Spark plugs
  5. Inspect & Adjust chain
  6. Replace brake pads after inspection

Do I really need to do these more time-consuming ones if they look and feel good?
  • Radiator hoses
  • Brake hoses
  • Replace all rubber parts in Master Cylinder
  • Replace rubber parts in Brake calipers
  • Carb cleaning
  • Valve adjustments
  • Fork seals
  • Tires were replaced in 2015 when it was 6.5K miles

What else do you recommend? Am I missing anything important?
arthury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The only one of those in the second list I'd do on my own 250 would be to check the valve clearances. My experience is that the engine runs so much better when cold when the valve clearances are OK that it's worth the effort.

Other than carb cleaning, visual inspection of the other items would tell me if they needed attention. As for carb cleaning, that should be obvious if they need it. I live in a very low ozone area and keep my motorcycle tires out of the sun, so my tires don't get bad in 5 years. But if you live in a big city and park outdoors in the sun, 5 years could cause degradation of your tire rubber, causing them to have less traction than when new.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 21st, 2020, 01:08 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Follow maintenance schedule in owner’s manual. At 8k miles, it’s mostly inspecting those items on your list.

- air-filter is foam clean and re-oil type. Couple layers of spray oil will be fine, don’t overdo it or it’ll drip out bottom of airbox and make a mess. Also drip into carbs and cause all sorts of smoking.

- spark plugs can go 25k-miles easily. Inspect gap and scrub clean with wire-brush

- definitely measure valve-clearances. Only adjust if outside of tolerance specs.

- brakes, inspect and R&R as necessary. O-rings in master and caliper should be fine. Firm squeeze and no leaking shows everything’s fine. If you squeeze lever all way to grips and/or fluid leaking out of calipers would mean rebuild.

- chain needs regular maintenance. Oil every other tank of gas. Check and adjust tension 1000-miles or so. Typically good idea to replace chain and sprockets together at same time to maximize mileage out of them. X-ring chains are latest trend. Lower friction gives you slightly more power to wheels and slightly improved gas-mileage.

- fork seals, like other rubber parts, inspect and R&R. Depending upon environment & usage, they can go a long time or need regular replacement. I do my street-bikes around 40-60k-miles. My race-bikes about every 10-miles or every other year. Need fluid replacement around then anyway.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2020, 01:14 PM   #4
arthury
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250J; 2005 CBR1000RR

Thanks, Triple Jim and DannoXYZ.
Appreciate the recommendations.
arthury is offline   Reply With Quote