ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:49 AM   #1
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Mar

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Front brake squeaking?

So this may be a dumb questions, but I searched and didn't really find an answer.

My front brake has started squeaking. Not a prolonged whine, no sound when in motion, but just a little noise when the brake is applied. I don't feel like the brake is taking longer to react or anything, it doesn't feel different, it just makes a little noise when coming to a stop.

My sister tells me it's part of the second break-in period. As she's given questionable advice on motorcycles before, I don't really want to listen to her.
Other forums for other motorcycles have everything from recommending a panicked emergency call to the mechanic, taking everything apart and sanding/replacing brake pads, or that the brakes are about to fail entirely and it's too late.

My bike only just has 2500 miles on it this week, I can't believe that so soon it would be falling apart, but I'm not averse to taking it apart and looking it over (albeit with complete n00bish untrained eyes.) I figured I would ask here first.

Is this normal and I'm worrying over nothing? Is this a known issue?
Is my bike ok to ride or is it trying to kill me (again )?

Thanks!

Last futzed with by lostdaemon; July 3rd, 2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: bad grammar, oops
lostdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Give the caliper and the area within a through spraying with brake cleaning fluid. It's probably dust/foreign materials inside the caliper that are giving you the sound. Also check to see the wear on the pads themselves, if you're heavy on the front brake, it will not surprise me if your pads have worn down.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

Had similar problrm. I just cleaned it and it was fine
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #4
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

Ok, thanks! Now here's where I'm a total n00b....how do I clean the calipers? Do I need a stand? Is there a thread I can look at to explain it?

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdaemon View Post
Ok, thanks! Now here's where I'm a total n00b....how do I clean the calipers? Do I need a stand? Is there a thread I can look at to explain it?

Get a can of brake cleaner and spray into the caliper until it pukes all the dust and shite out. Better yet, have your sister do it.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:30 AM   #6
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

Oh. Lol, I'm dumb Thank you, will do!

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

well.. there is another (in my opinion better...couse it is cleaner ) way

you do not need stand. There are 2 bolts holding caliper in its place... just unscrew them and that is it. then you have to unscrew the other two bolts IN caliper, which hold brake pads. revome them and then remove the pads.
now just clean up everithing and put back together

it wont take you a lot of time... its quite easy
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote