ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 15th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #41
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M View Post
Hi all, lack of reply since I've been too busy riding.
Once I adjusted the floats down to run leaner, the bog is gone. Also after a recent plug change, it is currently at a near perfect A/F.
Which wideband are you using ?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:50 PM   #42
///M
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 94 Ninja 250

Well, some bad news

Going down the road and out of nowhere she veers hard right, directly towards a guardrail. Thankfully I am okay, only a little bit of road rash, sore back and shoulders, and swollen right ankle/calf. Unbelievable how lucky I am for not having on all of my gear.. Especially glad I was going only 30mph.

Here's a pic I took a few minutes after the crash. Only 1, couldn't walk around to grab more.

Here's some further pics of the damage. Forks are bent, left footpeg bracket is broken along with the footpeg, fairings and turn signals are toast, and so is my front tire. Not quite sure what my future plans will be.

EDIT: Excuse the massive pictures.. If someone can point me on how to downsize them through the forum then please let me know!
///M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:55 PM   #43
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
A sudden veer has to be the result of something major breaking, like a triple clamp, or axle, or frame member for example. Take a very close look at everything and see if you can find what caused it.

I'm very glad you're OK.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:02 PM   #44
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Ouch. If nothing is bent then go for a streetfighter look.
Taking off fairings and replace things that broke won't be hard.
NaturalFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:02 PM   #45
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
A sudden veer has to be the result of something major breaking, like a triple clamp, or axle, or frame member for example. Take a very close look at everything and see if you can find what caused it.

I'm very glad you're OK.
As far as I've been able to tell so far, the axles did not break. Both wheels are still tight as well. Haven't been able to pull the fairings off yet to check the frame and triple clamps.

The info I can give so far is the rear wheel alignment was 1/8" longer on the right side, chain was a bit loose, and mismatched tires (new Pirelli MT75 rear, Dunflop K630 front. MT75 front had shipping issues).

Also had just completed a long right hand turn, which then turned into a shallow left hand turn where this took place. It was when the bike had become fully upright that it felt like going in the guardrail.

No odd vibrations or noises compared to the 1400 miles I had put on previously.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:10 PM   #46
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
As far as I've been able to tell so far, the axles did not break. Both wheels are still tight as well. Haven't been able to pull the fairings off yet to check the frame and triple clamps.

The info I can give so far is the rear wheel alignment was 1/8" longer on the right side, chain was a bit loose, and mismatched tires (new Pirelli MT75 rear, Dunflop K630 front. MT75 front had shipping issues).

Also had just completed a long right hand turn, which then turned into a shallow left hand turn where this took place. It was when the bike had become fully upright that it felt like going in the guardrail.

No odd vibrations or noises compared to the 1400 miles I had put on previously.
Was this bike in a previous crash? I can only imagine a steering head/triple clamp failure or a swing arm pivot shaft breakage.

Bill

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:12 PM   #47
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Was this bike in a previous crash? I can only imagine a steering head/triple clamp failure or a swing arm pivot shaft breakage.

Bill
Definitely has been dropped a few times judging by the fairings prior to my incident.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:12 PM   #48
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

By the pictures I'd say so..
NaturalFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:37 PM   #49
Ram Jet

Quote:
Definitely has been dropped a few times judging by the fairings prior to my incident.
Priority one. Feel better and rest. Then tear off those fairings and see what's up with the chassis.

Bill

Old August 24th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #50
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Glad you are OK.

That front tire looks like s***. Not sure what happened in your case, but riding on a tire that's past its prime isn't going to help if you need to react quickly to anything.

Looks salvageable. My son rode one that went down (luckily not with him on it) at 85 mph. Wasn't really as messed-up as you would think. Ran it without any fairings for years and many thousands of miles.

The pix would be easier to look at if they were resized.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #51
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

In thinking about it, anything frame or steering related that put a lot of steering force on the handlebar would have startled you, and you probably would have reacted by muscling it straight until you could pull over. Instead, I bet your rear wheel locked (brake, transmission, broken chain, etc.,) That would allow you to keep the bike upright, but with no directional control, so whatever way it felt like going, that's the way you'd go.

Old August 24th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #52
Ram Jet

Quote:
In thinking about it, anything frame or steering related that put a lot of steering force on the handlebar would have startled you, and you probably would have reacted by muscling it straight until you could pull over. Instead, I bet your rear wheel locked (brake, transmission, broken chain, etc.,) That would allow you to keep the bike upright, but with no directional control, so whatever way it felt like going, that's the way you'd go.
Good points TJ that I hadn't thought of. I don't recall seeing a skid mark though but a drive train lock-up may not cause a skid just a rapid slow down. Man, I'm glad that didn't happen to me the other day when I was doing a speed run.

Bill

P.S.; Looked at the picture again, there is a skid mark. I think you nailed it TJ.

Old August 24th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #53
///M
ninjette.org member

Here's a better picture of the marks.

Old August 24th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #54
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm glad you're ok and hopefully you'll be able to repair the bike and get her back on the road.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #55
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Bill
Took a look today, triple clamps did not fail nor were they bent. Pivot shaft also seemed fine (at least visual inspection) and had no obvious points of failure.
Quote:
Chain did not break, spins freely as I just quickly rode it into storage.

Old August 25th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #56
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Here's a better picture of the marks.
Two sets of marks! Looks like an initial straight-line skid, then something happened.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #57
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Two sets of marks! Looks like an initial straight-line skid, then something happened.
Likely the 2nd mark was from panic-grabbing the front brake.

Old August 25th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #58
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

There could still be a problem with the rear brake, like the little bleed hole is not getting uncovered, or it's clogged. That can lead to a locked wheel when things warm up a little and the fluid expands, but has nowhere to go.

Old August 25th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #59
Ram Jet

Quote:
There could still be a problem with the rear brake, like the little bleed hole is not getting uncovered, or it's clogged. That can lead to a locked wheel when things warm up a little and the fluid expands, but has nowhere to go.
I thought of that also. A few years ago I stopped to help a guy who was stuck by the side of the road on his bike. His front brake was locked up. I was about 1/4 of a mile from my house so I got some tools and went back. We bled-off his front brake and he could ride again. Her rode home using only his rear brake. I suspect the bleed hole (return fluid hole) in his master cylinder was plugged. That's one of the reasons I replace my brake fluid every spring.

Bill

Old August 25th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #60
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Locking the rear at 30 mph should be no big deal. The bike should go pretty straight until it stops. Is it possible something got lodged in the chain and sprocket (like a stick), locking the wheel, that eventually broke away - leaving no evidence?

Even if that did happen, what would make it dart to the right so abruptly?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #61
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Locking the rear at 30 mph should be no big deal. The bike should go pretty straight until it stops.
That really depends on a lot of things. If it was on a curve and decided to go straight, this crash could have happened. Any little thing like road crown could make it decide to go in a direction other than straight.

Old August 25th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #62
Ram Jet

Quote:
Locking the rear at 30 mph should be no big deal. The bike should go pretty straight until it stops. Is it possible something got lodged in the chain and sprocket (like a stick), locking the wheel, that eventually broke away - leaving no evidence?

He was making a gentle turn to the left. A locked rear break would surely pull the rear of the bike into the Armco. It doesn't explain the extensive front end damage though.

Bill

Old August 25th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #63
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

When a rear wheel locks and you steer to keep the bike upright, the bike straightens up rather than doing a drift, so the front end would have hit the guard rail first. You can try it somewhere when it's raining and there's no traffic and see what I mean.

Old August 25th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #64
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hm. I just replaced the brake fluid for the rear roughly 2 weeks ago.

Quote:

I didn't see any evidence of something lodging in the chain. The road had very very little debris. No signs on the chain of where lube may have been wiped away, or where small woodchips or splinters may have been left behind.

Quote:
He was making a gentle turn to the left. A locked rear break would surely pull the rear of the bike into the Armco. It doesn't explain the extensive front end damage though.

Bill
Bingo on gentle left turn. Extensive front end damage is because the bike layed down hard on it's left side and hit one of the vertical posts. Which probably is a good thing, if I was sent over the guardrail it would be a very steep and rocky, 40ft descent.

Old August 25th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #65
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Hm. I just replaced the brake fluid for the rear roughly 2 weeks ago.
Check the bleed hole in the master cylinder and make sure it's clear. If you push the caliper piston in without pushing the brake pedal, fluid should fountain out that hole.

Old October 6th, 2017, 06:29 AM   #66
///M
ninjette.org member

Home for the next 5 days, so I have her back on the road now. New forks, front tire, and made a replacement handlebar and shifter brackets at school with the welder and CNC.

Steering head nut was a little loose, and also I was able to "twist" the bars & the front wheel (like on a bicycle, to straighten out the front wheel). No longer twists after tightening. Re-aligned the rear wheel, checked the chain tension and lubed it, reconnected the airbox (slipped off the carbs from the accident), and bending one of my mirrors enough to at least somewhat see behind me.

Took it out for a little ride yesterday, no vibrations or anything seeming loose or out of the norm. Still not comfortable with it as there was no definitive answer as to why it wrecked, and that is in the back of my mind.. But this morning I'm going to be going through absolutely everything to make sure nothing is loose or out of line to hopefully make me a little more confident on it :P
And good lord is it cold to ride with no windshield or fairings in cold fall weather....

Old October 6th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #67
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

A decent winter suit can go a long way toward helping you enjoy cool weather rides.

Old October 6th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #68
///M
ninjette.org member

I'll likely hold back on one for now since I'm not bringing it to college, and after this weekend the next time I'll ride is in the spring.

Old October 6th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #69
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm glad you're back on the road! I hope you've got everything back in place so it's all solid and happy for spring time.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2017, 08:34 AM   #70
Ram Jet

Quote:
A decent winter suit can go a long way toward helping you enjoy cool weather rides.
This ain't too sexy but it's real nice to have when it's 30 degrees out.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (80.3 KB, 3 views)

Old October 7th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #71
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
This ain't too sexy but it's real nice to have when it's 30 degrees out.

Bill
I mean hey... my bike isn't exactly pretty so a ugly yet warm suit would be fine with me :P

280 miles the past 2 days, and tried replicating the situation in which I wrecked. No luck getting it do it. But ugh, still plagued with carb issues. Running rich below 7k and bogging because of it, doesn't want to idle without dropping to 1000rpm and eventually stalling. I think sometime this winter I'll send them off somewhere so at least it runs well for when I sell in the spring.

Old October 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #72
Ram Jet

Quote:
I mean hey... my bike isn't exactly pretty so a ugly yet warm suit would be fine with me :P

280 miles the past 2 days, and tried replicating the situation in which I wrecked. No luck getting it do it. But ugh, still plagued with carb issues. Running rich below 7k and bogging because of it, doesn't want to idle without dropping to 1000rpm and eventually stalling. I think sometime this winter I'll send them off somewhere so at least it runs well for when I sell in the spring.
I know a guy on Long Island who does a great job for a reasonable price.

Bill

Old October 7th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #73
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
amazing coincidence...so do I !
Exactly who I had in mind

Old October 7th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #74
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
I know a guy on Long Island who does a great job for a reasonable price.

Bill
remarkable coincidence, so do I the same guy, perhaps?
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #75
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Exactly who I had in mind
at your service anytime when ready ///M

Old October 7th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #76
///M
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
at your service anytime when ready ///M
I'll be shooting a PM to you sometime in the next few months, I'm in no rush as after Wednesday my ninjette will be sitting in the barn until May

Old October 7th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #77
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
understood...NE winter storage time is approaching. Ugh.