Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old April 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Name: Rollo

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r (silver)

Bike dying on me at stoplight ...

OK ... I'm definitely a noob so probably not doing something right. Even when my bike is properly warmed up (... say I've been riding for 20 - 30 minutes), I've had a problem with my engine dying when I'm stuck at a stop light. Normally, I'm in first gear with the clutch fully engaged at the stop ... a couple of times the engine went off (like I switched on the kill switch). On a couple of other occasions (long light) ... I was waiting in neutral for the light change when the engine died. In both those situations, I was able to start the bike up quickly before the light changed (definitely stressed out though). I get anxious with this because I deal with some hills and traffic lights (so I worry about rolling backwards if I end up losing my friction zone -- if the engine dies). These engine dying incidents happen only occasionally, but it's definitely in my head now to the point that I try to keep my throttle revved while I'm waiting for light changes. Was wondering if I need to have my bike looked at ... any suggestions or comments are welcome. BTW ... I have a 2007 ninja ... just bought it three weeks ago used ... haven't had a mechanic look at it yet. Thanks!
Davis937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #2
kkim

what rpm does your bike idle at?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
lumi
ninjette.org member

Name: Lumi

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

My bike does a similar thing. It will sometimes die if I stop at a light, even when warm. I've started to blip the throttle very little right when I stop to get the rpm's momentarily up to 2000 or so. After that even if I let it idle normally it won't die.
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis937 View Post
OK ... I'm definitely a noob so probably not doing something right. Even when my bike is properly warmed up (... say I've been riding for 20 - 30 minutes), I've had a problem with my engine dying when I'm stuck at a stop light. Normally, I'm in first gear with the clutch fully engaged at the stop ... a couple of times the engine went off (like I switched on the kill switch). On a couple of other occasions (long light) ... I was waiting in neutral for the light change when the engine died. In both those situations, I was able to start the bike up quickly before the light changed (definitely stressed out though). I get anxious with this because I deal with some hills and traffic lights (so I worry about rolling backwards if I end up losing my friction zone -- if the engine dies). These engine dying incidents happen only occasionally, but it's definitely in my head now to the point that I try to keep my throttle revved while I'm waiting for light changes. Was wondering if I need to have my bike looked at ... any suggestions or comments are welcome. BTW ... I have a 2007 ninja ... just bought it three weeks ago used ... haven't had a mechanic look at it yet. Thanks!
I didn't think it was possible to keep the clutch fully engaged at a stop. I would think the engine would die just from that. I hope that was a typo.

As for the second thing, it sounds like a fuel problem. Were you low on fuel and/or stopped downhill? In any case, you should get a mechanic to diagnose it.

You don't need to worry about rolling back. Use the rear brake lightly to keep the bike from rolling back and give it a little extra gas. You can do the same thing in a car with the emergency brake.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
what rpm does your bike idle at?
Hey Kelly ... the idle is about 1100 - 1200. What do you think ...

Old April 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post
I didn't think it was possible to keep the clutch fully engaged at a stop. I would think the engine would die just from that. I hope that was a typo.

As for the second thing, it sounds like a fuel problem. Were you low on fuel and/or stopped downhill? In any case, you should get a mechanic to diagnose it.

You don't need to worry about rolling back. Use the rear brake lightly to keep the bike from rolling back and give it a little extra gas. You can do the same thing in a car with the emergency brake.
Nah ... my tank is almost 3/4 full so not a fuel problem. Yeah, I'm thinking about taking it in to the shop. Oops ... a newbie error ... yes, occasionally I do have the clutch fully engaged when I'm at a light (other times I'm just right near the friction zone with the clutch).

Old April 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Hey Kelly ... the idle is about 1100 - 1200. What do you think ...
as a test, try raising the idle to 1500rpm and see if it changes anything.

Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly, that is, when you have the lever fully pulled in, the bike doesn't try to creep forward does it? Also, you should have about 1/8" of free play at the clutch lever. do you?

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #8
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post

I think it's obvious that he means the bike is in gear with the clutch lever pulled, or "engaged"
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
as a test, try raising the idle to 1500rpm and see if it changes anything.

Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly, that is, when you have the lever fully pulled in, the bike doesn't try to creep forward does it? Also, you should have about 1/8" of free play at the clutch lever. do you?
Hi Kelly and thanks for the information (... thanks to all of you for your comments!). I'll try to raise the idle to 1500 rpm (wish me luck ... I'm a definite klutz mechanically). yes, the clutch cable appears to be adjusted correctly and there seems to be sufficient clutch lever free play. I'll get back to you re raising the idle ...

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #10
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
I think it's obvious that he means the bike is in gear with the clutch lever pulled, or "engaged"
Hey Cynical C ... correct ... the bike was in first gear when the clutch was fully engaged. Thanks!

Old April 18th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #11
kkim

Quote:
I'll try to raise the idle to 1500 rpm (wish me luck ... I'm a definite klutz mechanically).
here's how...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...55&postcount=5

Old April 18th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #12
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks, Kelly ... you're always really helpful. Mahalo!