ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 19th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

Newgen rear swing arm/tire and front forks.

So I have a friend who's getting rid of newgen rear swing arm and front forks+upper and lower triples as well as front caliper/disc/lever/resevoir. Guy said he could use some cash so to make him a reasonbe offer.

From what I gather is the rear swing arm requires the caliper bracket, and axle bolt, and a newgen rear tire, the front seems like I'd have everything is need except the handle bars, which I think are included from what I saw via picture.

So my biggest reasoning for wanting to do this is the for the bigger rear tire, not to look like a 600 but I travel mainly highway and from what I've read the bigger tire helps with being blown around and getting a squirrelly feeling with ruts in road and such.

So far is this accurate?
So depending on how much I can get it for, is there any downside? Besides the fact of having to buy new wheel+tires.

I'm going to say that running a 17" rear and stock 16" front is no good, so I'd need the front as well and from what I've read you can't get a 17" newgen front rim on the pregen forks and such.

Thoughts?
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02337 View Post
So I have a friend who's getting rid of newgen rear swing arm and front forks+upper and lower triples as well as front caliper/disc/lever/resevoir. Guy said he could use some cash so to make him a reasonbe offer.

From what I gather is the rear swing arm requires the caliper bracket, and axle bolt, and a newgen rear tire, the front seems like I'd have everything is need except the handle bars, which I think are included from what I saw via picture.

So my biggest reasoning for wanting to do this is the for the bigger rear tire, not to look like a 600 but I travel mainly highway and from what I've read the bigger tire helps with being blown around and getting a squirrelly feeling with ruts in road and such.

So far is this accurate?
So depending on how much I can get it for, is there any downside? Besides the fact of having to buy new wheel+tires.

I'm going to say that running a 17" rear and stock 16" front is no good, so I'd need the front as well and from what I've read you can't get a 17" newgen front rim on the pregen forks and such.

Thoughts?
Yeah. Putting the J front wheel and brakes on the F forks requires a spacer and a custom caliper mount. @Jiggyfly made one and sold the bike to me but it replaces the speed sender/meter gear thing and you need an aftermarket gauge with magnetic pickup to know your speed. The newgen forks have deflectors for the fork protector and have mounts for a newgen fender, so I'd go with the whole front-end swap. Because the base doesn't sit flush with the uncovered triple, the stock J handlebars are the same height as the F bars even though they look shorter. The fork tubes are not only smaller on the F bike than the J bike they are also spaced apart differently, so you can't simply shim a J triple clamp on smaller F fork tubes. I would expect the guy to still have the brake caliper bracket if he's selling the brakes with the swingarm (what else might he have done with it?). I'd ask. The rear sprocket and sprocket hub/carrier are the exact same. The F front sprocket needs a 2mm shim for perfect alignment on a J bike, so I have always wondered if the rear wheel swap results in a similar misalignment. It's close enough that people usually don't bother shimming it on the J bike so it's can't be that big of a deal. Also, the sprocket carrier floats in the wheel hub so alignment is never that precise in the first place.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

Well he said something about a dune buggy project and such, guy said to give him a call which I will if I did it is swap front ends over which it looks like his is almost a complete front end, and I haven't seen the swing arm pics yet. I'm dabbling with the idea I just hate to spend money on rim+tire when I just replaced mine.
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote