ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 29th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #1
beren
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Reliable Helmet Brands

I am looking to buy a new helmet sometime in hte next few months. Price is a huge concern for me, but so also is protection.

A brief history:
I started with a $35 helemt I found online. When that melted (yes metled- I hung it from the Rebel 250's helmnet holder it was directly above hte exhaust) I decided to get a "real helmet" having done enough reading online to realize my original mistake. After some research, I ended up with an HJC modular helmet that I have been fiarly happy wiht for everal years.

I went with the HJC for two reasons- 1. it seemed to be a fairly well respected brand ont he forums I visited, and 2. I could one one within budget.

Today, those same two conisderations apply.

Basically, I want to come up wiht a lsit of brands that are, genreally, considered trustworthy. Then I can search local shops, browse online for deals, etc, and when I find a good price on a helmet I like in one of those brands I can snap it up.

tl/dr
I want a lsit of helmet brands that are generally trustworthy so that I can be on the lookout for deals and, when I find one, not wory that the "deal" is a safety risk.

So- what brands do y'all consider to be gernerally trustwirthy/relaible/safe?

Old January 29th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Some of the most popular and very well respected (though expensive) brands are Shoei or Arai, as well as Schuberth.

I have an HJC CS-R2 helmet. It's very reliable with modern looks etc, while still cheap it gets the job done and more.

Definitely make sure the safety specs fit the bill and they comply with you're state's laws, although most full face helmets are DOT certified anyways.

Other very popular & well respected brands:

-Bell
-Icon
-Shark
-Scorpion
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #3
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Rather than "brands" you should look at safety specifications, like Snell, Ece, etc. Also, make sure it fits your head right, some great brands may not fit your head shape. Why are you storing your helmet near the exhaust? 0_o.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #4
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I like my Shoei, and will likely be a lifetime Shoei user. But maybe I'll one day drop the cash on a Schuberth.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
Today, only one of those conisderations apply.
Fixed!

I fixed it because, 1 trip to the ER from a crap lid will cost more than a couple of really expensive helmets.

Find a lid you like, check the certs like antiant noted and above all... make sure it fits right!

Oh! And post a pic when you find what you like.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Maybe it's just me but, I kinda want to see a pic of that melted helmet

Most of the well known brands have already been mentioned, you can add Nolan and AGV to that list as well. You can look at Sharp ratings on helmets that are tested. It's just another testing standard though and not something I would base my entire buying decision off of.

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #7
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
My is stay away from modulars. Helmets you can flex with your hands just aren't up to snuff in my book.

If you have a Revzilla location near you i would advise a visit there. The have just about every helmet and a very knowledgeable staff. Going by the Philly location anyway.

Good luck!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #8
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Maybe it's just me but, I kinda want to see a pic of that melted helmet
Me too!

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Forgot to add AGV! Another nice brand.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to motorcycle gear

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #11
beren
ninjette.org member

I'm afraid I don't have any pics of hte melted helmet. Not sure why i didnt take any.
The helmet lock onthe Rebel 250 is under the seat. If you are careless nad lock your helmet to it byt he d-ring and hten just let it hang down, it will rest on the exhaust.

What can I say? I was new and not very smart.

As to the makeing sure it fits issue- yeah, i got lucky wiht the hjg which I ordered online. For hte next one I will try stuff on in store even if I end up buying online. Woudl prefer to buy locally, avoid the wait, and supprot the local merchants, etc, but I would defintely be swayed by an online clearence sale type of price liek I was last time.

@csmith- I agree that safety is the primary consideration, but if you walked in with a $4k helmet and convinced me it was the safest helmet of all time, I still wouldn't have the dough to buy it. My goal wiht asking this question is to get the info I need to make sure I don't get a crap lid (like the first one I bought). That is, I am tryign to identify non-crap alternatives so that when I find a good price on one of them, I can pounce.

The certs advice sounds good. Is there one website that has all/most helmets and thei certs listed, or will I need to look up each helmet indivudally? I'm sure most of them will say on the box, but some oneline places don't make that easy, and some of the local stores, finding the box takes a bit of looking. Not insurmontable problems, but if there is a one-stop source for that, it would make the process simpler. As a lazy man, I prefer simpler

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

I like the helmet reviews from webBikeWorld. Probably the most thorough and detailed out there. A good staring point for your research. These dudes know their ****.

Drats to no pic of the melted helmet... just have to use my imagination then.

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #13
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
The certs advice sounds good. Is there one website that has all/most helmets and thei certs listed, or will I need to look up each helmet indivudally? I'm sure most of them will say on the box, but some oneline places don't make that easy, and some of the local stores, finding the box takes a bit of looking. Not insurmontable problems, but if there is a one-stop source for that, it would make the process simpler. As a lazy man, I prefer simpler
They will be a decal on the back of the helmet.

Look for DOT and Snell Approved below it.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #14
beren
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
I like the helmet reviews from webBikeWorld. Probably the most thorough and detailed out there. A good staring point for your research. These dudes know their ****.

Drats to no pic of the melted helmet... just have to use my imagination then.
Ill chekck the link.

The melting is less dramatic than it sounds. I noticed one day that where was a indetation in my helmet where the outer shell had melted, sunk it, then re-solidified.
No idea how long I had been riding wiht it like that. The thought still scares me.

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
@csmith- I agree that safety is the primary consideration, but if you walked in with a $4k helmet and convinced me it was the safest helmet of all time, I still wouldn't have the dough to buy it. My goal wiht asking this question is to get the info I need to make sure I don't get a crap lid (like the first one I bought). That is, I am tryign to identify non-crap alternatives so that when I find a good price on one of them, I can pounce.
Fair enough, not sure of your size but try on a Scorpion. Many online stores have them on closeout right now, about $100. Be mindful of the age though, some say 5rys is the limit age, others don't really care.

I slammed my face into the tarmac at 90+ mph while wearing one and still look as goofy as ever. Hell... I still have most of my teeth, which is kinda rare for a KY hillbilly. They get a bit heavy on the long rides but they are really great lids at the $100 price point.

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Scorpion
HJC (Also Joe Rocket, which is made by HJC... you can find some good deals)
Bell
Shoei
Schuberth
Arai
AGV
Nolan

These are the ones that spring to mind

My $0.02:

Fit is the single most important factor. It trumps ALL others. A poorly fitting helmet will not protect your head.

Much is made of certification and brand, but consider this: The basic technology of motorcycle helmets is the same regardless of brand and regardless of DOT/ECE/SNELL certification.

Without exception, all include the following:

1) A rigid outer shell designed to spread impact without catastrophic failure. The shell is either fiber-reinforced composite (e.g. fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber) or molded ABS.
2) An expanded polystyrene inner shell designed to absorb energy by crushing.
3) An inner comfort liner made of open-cell foam and fabric.
4) A retention system consisting of nylon straps attached via metal hardware to the outer shell. The straps will have some sort of buckle, usually metal D-rings but sometimes a plastic ratchet mechanism.

That's all there is. The most expensive Arai, Schuberth and AGV helmets use the same basic technology as the cheapest DOT-approved ebay lid. The physical differences lie in design (e.g. ventilation, shield mechanism), build/paint quality, finish, hardware quality, in some cases material (carbon fiber helmets are expensive) and in some cases design philosophy (Arai fans make much of this last point).

The point is that you're not buying a complicated piece of machinery. You're buying a sort-of sphere consisting mostly of fiberglass and styrofoam. It's easy to overthink this.

Do you get what you pay for? Up to a point. You already know what happens to the cheapest of the cheap. But it would be hard to PROVE beyond doubt that a $900 helmet is significantly superior to a $150 helmet in terms of energy absorption, longevity, comfort or any other meaningful metric. It can be debated endlessly. There are those who jumped on the test that one of the magazines did a few years ago suggesting that some non-SNELL helmets can outperform SNELL helmets under some circumstances as condemnation of the entire SNELL certification standard. I see a flawed argument, but that's another story.

There are those who say that you get what you pay for and trusting your brain to anything less than the most expensive helmet you can buy is foolhardy. Certainly a valid point of view and you won't go wrong if you buy a high-buck lid when it comes to protection. But conclusive proof that the same accident that leaves the wearer of a $900 helmet unhurt will lead to injury for the wearer of a much less expensive helmet? If you can find it, I'd love to see it.

Bottom line: If I were strapped for cash, would I walk away from something like a BILT or AFX helmet simply because it's not from a "respected" brand? Nope. But I would take a VERY hard look at a real helmet and compare it side-by-side with a much more expensive one from a high-end manufacturer, then decide FOR MYSELF whether it's adequate.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; February 1st, 2014 at 06:34 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #17
beren
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Fair enough, not sure of your size but try on a Scorpion. Many online stores have them on closeout right now, about $100. Be mindful of the age though, some say 5rys is the limit age, others don't really care.

I slammed my face into the tarmac at 90+ mph while wearing one and still look as goofy as ever. They get a bit heavy on the long rides but they are really great lids at the $100 price point.
I'll definetly look into that. Weight is less of a concern for me than many becuase I am primarily a commuter. My typical ride is under 30 minutes, so helmet fatigue doesn't really have a chance to set it.

I'll watch the age. One of the reasons I am looking for my next helemt is that the hjc is now about 4 years old. I figure it is good for a while yet, but I might as well starting looking fo rhte replacement. Having a deal lined up when we get our tax return makesfor an easier sales pitch tothe wife as well.

Old January 29th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #18
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I love my Scorpion helmets. I have the low end EX400s. Ventilation sucks, it's noisy (that's what earplugs are for) and slightly heavy compared to others out there. Holds up great when sliding on the pavement (which is all that matters to me:

My next helmet will probably be an HJC. It got great reviews on WBW. All depends on fit.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #19
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Quote:
....For the next one I will try stuff on in store even if I end up buying online. Would prefer to buy locally, avoid the wait, and support the local merchants, etc, but I would definitely be swayed by an online clearance sale type of price like I was last time.
Even though a lot of local dealerships are overpriced, there are a lot that do have great clearance sales from time to time, especially on helmets. Most of the dealerships in my area get new helmets in all the time and those that they did not sell last riding season go on sale about now.

If you are budget minded but still want a reputable and respected brand helmet, look for a authorized Fulmer Helmet dealer. Fulmer is a well respected brand in the motorcycle industry. In 1969, Fulmer Helmets was founded on a simple philosophy: value for riders and service to dealers. Fulmer is dealer-centric. From the very beginning, they’ve held to the belief that the local dealership is the best place for a rider to get properly fitted. They are the second largest selling motorcycle helmet brand in the US.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #20
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
....There are those who jumped on the test that one of the magazines did a few years ago suggesting that some non-SNELL helmets can outperform SNELL helmets under some circumstances as condemnation of the entire SNELL certification standard. I see a flawed argument, but that's another story.
Are you referring to Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; January 29th, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Old January 29th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #21
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

+1 for Shoei
The RF-1100 is a fantastic helmet if you're willing to dish out the cash for it.
It's Snell 2010 and its not too noisy, its in the top 20 for lightest helmets, and its got great ventilation.
The RF-1200 is even BETTER, but it also is significantly more expensive.

I had an HJC and was not a fan of it. Particularly because of the shell size.
Companies like HJC and Bell generally only have 2-3 shells sizes for all their sizes. Ex. The difference between a Large and 2XL might be more or less foam. Shoei has 5 different shell sizes. So it reduces some drag and makes you look less bobble-heady compared to other brands that neglect shell size.

Old January 29th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #22
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Shoei is my favorite, but you simply don't have to pay that much (most of what you pay for with lids like that are luxury features -- weight, airflow, premium fabrics, etc etc.

IMHO: Bell and Scorpion is the best bang for the buck out there. You can almost always get a closeout deal on one of their totally solid models for $100 or less. In particular, look for the Vortex (Bell) and the EXO1000 (Scorpion). Sizing note: Scorpion consistently runs about a size small; that is, I wear a Medium in Shoei, Bell, Arai, HJC, but a Large in Scorpion. Check sportbiketrackgear for their closeouts, and motorcycle closeouts.com as well.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #23
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
important to first find one that fits properly, and worry about costs later. think of it this way is your head worth $50 or $500

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes92 View Post
Ex. The difference between a Large and 2XL might be more or less foam. Shoei has 5 different shell sizes. So it reduces some drag and makes you look less bobble-heady compared to other brands that neglect shell size.
Homework.... yep, he did it.

Old January 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #25
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Homework.... yep, he did it.
It was because initially my helmet seemed so big on me. Turns out it was the combination of too big to begin with + they use huge shells for anything on Medium and above. So I researched a few companies you could say
The arai's and shoei's i tried on 2 days later were much nicer fits and lower profile.

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #26
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
One brand that i never hear mentioned is mine: SparX.

And I got it because it was inexpensive and I saw this on the review from webBikeWorld:

Quote:
Well, listen up: all SparX helmets carry a 5-year warranty and they're both DOT and ECE approved. And check this out: if you crash in a SparX helmet, you can send it and the Police report back to SparX and they'll give you a new lid for free.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #27
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Wow, that's awesome!

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #28
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

When i was shopping for my helmet, i wanted DOT and SNELL certifications.

I happened to catch the Bell RS-1 Emblem on closeout on Revzilla and snagged it for $239. I really like it, and recently got the transition shield for it too which is pretty cool. Comfortable on my head and has a good # of venting options.

I also test fit a RF-1200 because it was the same headshape as the RS-1 and it too is really comfortable, but as mentioned significantly more expensive. They're just coming out with transition lenses for them too.

If you can fit a RF-1200 in store (many cyclegear stores have them), an RS-1 will fit very similarly at a significantly cheaper price.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #29
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
...Fit is the single most important factor. It trumps ALL others. A poorly fitting helmet will not protect your head...
What the good Signor says in its entirety!

I go for comfort. Unfortunately, I have an Arai-shaped head. I wish I had a Bilt-shaped head, because they are very attractively priced!

The KLR250 I bought last month came with a cheapo new-condition used THH motocross helmet that is damn near as comfortable as are my Arais, and I look forward to wearing it when the weather warms up (as it's cold as hell: too well ventilated!).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #30
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I have a lot of love for my scorpion (not the greatest airflow) and my HJC (kinda bobbley headed, that's life. Better airflow)

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #31
Gaige
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R SE

Hmm those Sparx S-07 helmets look pretty sick. I really like the Platinum LE ones on Ebay and they're only like $90.

I might get one as a second helmet.
Gaige is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #32
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

For free!

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #33
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

I love my Shoei RF1100. Wish i didnt butcher the insides by installing A blutooth system though. Will most likely buy another shoei in the future.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #34
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Over the years I've had most top helmets made. It seems that I've had more Shoei helmets than anything else, however; different helmets fit different head shapes better. Go try on some helmets and see what feels the best.

I think Skully buckets are the thing of the future. That's right Skully hats rock. Did I mention Skully makes top helmets and if I get to beta one I might tell a few people how Skully helmets could be the best since sliced bread. That's right folks Skully the brand for me. They are right at the top (of my head).

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #35
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Over the years I've had most top helmets made. It seems that I've had more Shoei helmets than anything else, however; different helmets fit different head shapes better. Go try on some helmets and see what feels the best.

I think Skully buckets are the thing of the future. That's right Skully hats rock. Did I mention Skully makes top helmets and if I get to beta one I might tell a few people how Skully helmets could be the best since sliced bread. That's right folks Skully the brand for me. They are right at the top (of my head).
I almost forgot about head shape . Shoei is more of a intermediate oval, while HJC and some american brands tend to be more round.

+1 Skully too, I've seen their HUD interface concept and it's crazy!

Old January 29th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #36
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post

You got that right -- Skully's the stuff. I also like to tell everyone how cool and innovative those lids are. Yeah buddy, CC's got the right idea here.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2014, 06:53 AM   #37
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
That looks like the piece.

The problem with testing (no matter what the test) is that the laboratory is, and must be, a carefully controlled environment so that the results have a common baseline.

The real world is the opposite. ANY test is flawed when compared to the real world.

What's the temperature in the lab? Out in the real world people ride in freezing temps, and anyone who's seen a piece of plastic shatter because it's cold knows that temperature affects the properties of materials. They test for impact. Do they test for impact AFTER the helmet slides across abrasive pavement? Etc. etc.... it's simply impossible to precisely replicate real-world conditions in a consistent way, because the real world is too complex an environment.

So they come up with standards intended to produce a helmet that will protect the wearer under a reasonable range of conditions. And the helmet manufacturers build to meet the standards, because that sells helmets.

This is the same mindset that leads to standardized testing in schools. The intent is honorable... to prepare children to compete in the real world. But what winds up happening is that the kids are taught how to score well on the tests, which is not the same thing as actually developing skills or learning how to think.

Saying that this or that standard is better than the other guy's standard misses the point. A helmet standard is a set of criteria designed to answer this simple question: "Will this helmet protect a rider in a crash?" The answer depends on the circumstances... there is no single "right" answer, so there is no single "best" standard.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2014, 07:30 AM   #38
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
....Saying that this or that standard is better than the other guy's standard misses the point. A helmet standard is a set of criteria designed to answer this simple question: "Will this helmet protect a rider in a crash?" The answer depends on the circumstances... there is no single "right" answer, so there is no single "best" standard.
Well put. Pretty much what the article alluded to.

Old February 1st, 2014, 08:29 AM   #39
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

Here's the sharp helmet ratings.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2014, 09:02 AM   #40
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

Quote:
The real world is the opposite. ANY test is flawed when compared to the real world.

What's the temperature in the lab? Out in the real world people ride in freezing temps, and anyone who's seen a piece of plastic shatter because it's cold knows that temperature affects the properties of materials. They test for impact. Do they test for impact AFTER the helmet slides across abrasive pavement? Etc. etc.... it's simply impossible to precisely replicate real-world conditions in a consistent way, because the real world is too complex an environment.
I disagree with the word "flawed". They fall short, but convey useful information - specifically the results of an exact, repeatable event. As long as we recognize that for what it is, there's nothing wrong with the tests.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but I think it leaves an important question: "will a helmet that passes the tests provide adequate protection in a crash (or more realistically, "the vast majority of crashes")?"

I'm not the expert here, but I tend to believe that even a helmet designed with the sole purposes of passing the test will still provide good protection, even if that's a side effect.

Just some thoughts. I agree with most of what you wrote. Stepping down off the soap box now...
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote