Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM   #1
BlackNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): '09 2fiddy

Dealerships...and why you should do your own work

Cliff notes at the bottom for the lazy.

Back in late June, I was rear ended on my beloved 250 on my way to work. Dude in full size Dodge truck was textin', and didn't see me. Was rolling around 15mph or so when he hit me (bumper to bumper traffic, slowly moving). I didn't go down, neither did the bike. Broke the tail light, fender, and the other misc stuff.

Police report gets filed, gotta take bike to shop to get it fixed. Unfortunately, I can't just get a check and fix it myself. I'm not a certified bike tech, but a former ASE car tech who's shared his time turning wrenches. I really, really don't like other people touching my crap. Especially el-retardo's making minimum wage at a bike shop. But, regardless, I have no other choice. Bike gets fixed there.

So, as everyone knows, OEM stuff is about 50x more expensive than aftermarket stuff. So, I decided to upgrade in the process. I get a HotBodies undertail, solo cowl, and windscreen (Yes...the OEM stuff was so overpriced that I got ALL that, and was still cheaper...). I already have flushmount LED's upfront, CThunder-blue's kit. I told the bike shop about needing to do the diode mod, due to now having front and rear LED's. They can handle it, blah blah. I go to pick up my bike...

Fingerprints. EVERYWHERE. Just not fingerprints, but greasy, nasty, huge smudges from fiddling with the tail. When I worked on a customers car, if I got it dirty, I spent the whopping 10 seconds to wipe down the hood or whatever got dirty. Looks even worse because the bike is black.

No solo cowl. Awesome, I got billed for it. Where the F is it at?! Oh, ****, it's back here. Hmm, forgot. How much to bet they wouldn't have said a thing when they "found" it later? Uh huh.

Turn signals don't work. Even more awesome. Like, not the 4 way flasher dealio, nada. Like a blown fuse. That's funny, because the dude said the bike HAD to be "fixed" there, so it was ensured that it was properly fixed. This, of course, obviously means not having functional turn signals. At this point, my friend dropped me off, and my bike is my ride home. I'm pissed, and tell them "It's OK, I'll fix it myself because your techs can't."

Seriously, such a huge bike shop like that. Flushmount/LED turn signals are dime a dozen on sport bikes. How do your "certified" techs not know this? Why is the owner, a non certified bike guy, more capable of fixing it then the dealer? At least I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.

CLIFF NOTES:

Dealerships suck. Never, ever assume that you taking your bike to a dealer will ensure it's actually fixed correctly. Find some local friends, use the hell out of Google and this awesome site, and learn your bike your damned self. I'll bet you'll do a much better job of fixing it...because it's your ass that's gonna be riding it.

Oh yeah, AGATT.
BlackNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Where the H did you take your bike?????

-------------------------------------------------------

If anyone needs any work on their bike...look up Ninja250....he's in Riverslime aka Riverside

He has done the following for me over the years for a GREAT price....

oil change
oil filter change
front brake pad change
rear brake pad change
brake fluid flush/replace
coolant flush/replace
spark plug change
Valve Job/with numbers
-------------------------------

I always thought dealers were a rip...Blackwidow thanks for this reminder!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #3
BlackNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): '09 2fiddy

Welp, figured out the problem with the no turn signals. They unplugged the wires from the relay. Hmm... can't imagine why they didn't work.

So the "techs" at the bike shop couldn't figure out....interesting. Now, I'm back to where I should be - having 4 way flashers. As soon as I get the diode mod done, she'll be back to normal.
BlackNinja is offline   Reply With Quote