ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old October 18th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - AMA Congratulates 5 New 2017 MotoAmerica Series Champions

The AMA recognizes five new MotoAmerica series champions for the 2017 season including AMA Superbike Champion Toni Elias,*Bazzaz Superstock 1000 Champion Matthew Scholtz, Supersport Champion Garrett Gerloff, Superstock 600 Champion Jason Aguilar and KTM RC Cup Champion Benjamin Smith.

Begin Press Release:

PICKERINGTON, OH – October 18, 2017 – The American Motorcyclist Association is pleased to recognize and congratulate the 2017 AMA Superbike Champion: Toni Elias of Spain. Elias wrapped up the AMA Superbike Championship at the penultimate round of the MotoAmerica Series in Millville, NJ, on Sept. 9.

“Toni is an incredibly skilled and accomplished racer, and we were honored to have him as a competitor in the AMA Superbike Championship this season,” AMA Track Racing Manager Ken Saillant said. “The AMA is pleased to congratulate him on his championship win, and we are eager to see him defend his title in 2018.”

MotoAmerica is the home of the AMA Superbike Championship, as well as the FIM North America road racing championship. In addition to Elias, Mathew Scholtz won the Bazzaz Superstock 1000 class, Garrett Gerloff won the Supersport class, Jason Aguilar won the Superstock 600 class and Benjamin Smith won the KTM RC Cup class.

Elias became the 21st racer to win the AMA Superbike Championship. He finished no lower than second place throughout the series, with the exception of one race in which he crashed.

“It feels very good to have won the championship,” Elias said. “I am very happy, and it was such a nice thing to have this opportunity.”

While contemplating retirement in the 2017 off-season, Elias received a call from Suzuki to compete as part of the Yoshimura Suzuki team. His efforts gave the brand its 192nd win and first AMA Superbike Championship since 2009.

“I just want to thank Suzuki, Yoshimura, my team, my family and of course my fans,” Elias said. “This was such a good choice to come here-perfect actually. I’m so grateful for everything that has happened this year.”

2017 MotoAmerica series results:

Motul AMA Superbike

1. Toni Elias
2. Roger Hayden
3. Cameron Beaubier

Bazzaz Superstock 1000

1. Mathew Scholtz
2. Jake Lewis
3. Bobby Fong

Supersport

1. Garrett Gerloff
2. J.D. Beach
3. Valentin Debise

Superstock 600

1. Jason Aguilar
2. Michael Gilbert
3. Nick McFadden

KTM RC Cup

1. Benjamin Smith
2. Cory Ventura
3. Alex Dumas

AMA Congratulates 5 New 2017 MotoAmerica Series Champions appeared first on Motorcycle.com News.

Click here for full story...