Notices

Old June 26th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #1
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Mountain biking vs motorcycling off-road

Hey all. I have a random question for those of you who trail bike or mountain bike on your bicycle. When you're off-roading, does the 'loose on the bars' rule apply on mountain bikes as it does when you're on a motorcycle? For example, obviously keeping as loose as possible on the bars riding the Ninja on, let's say, gravel for instance is best practice. What about going up and down bumpy, rocky hills on a bicycle? Is it better to stay loose or to hold on for dear life so as not to get bucked? :-)

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I keep a loose on the bars approach no matter what. Even on road, it can help out. Especially bumpy roads.

The hills, well it depends on the situation. Hard to stay loose on the bars when most of your weight is on it going downhill.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3
kkim

stay as loose as you need to w/o having a death grip on the bars. you want the bike to work with you to overcome the terrain, but still be able to maintain control if the bike does anything weird. This is where proper suspension setup for your body weight and the type of riding you do is crucial.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #4
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

stay as loose as you can without letting go. Generally, if you're going fast enough, the bike will roll over anything you throw at it this way. I highly suggest SPDs for this though since you'll want a least a couple solid contact points with the bike.