ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:00 AM   #1
d.c.george
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Unhappy Electrical Problem with brakes/starter

I've had my Ninja for just over 6 weeks now, I put about 1000 miles on it.

The only mod I've done was installing a Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit, I had to splice two wires from the old license plate light to the new license plate light. I crimped these wires together with the hardware provided which were two red plastic butt connectors.

I was out riding and I had to stop for gas. I pulled into a gas station, and shut off my bike as usual. After I filled up and was ready to go I sat down on my bike and pulled in the clutch and squeezed the front brake. Out of no where the bike started right up.

I was shocked, and after looking at it further I was able to figure out that when I pressed either the front or rear brakes, they would activate the starter motor. Even while the bike was running, if I pressed either brake you could hear the starter motor ingauge.

The gas station I was at was connected to a subdivision in an urban area, and I attempted to go back through the subdivision to get my motorcycle home without any brakes, via downshifting, as to not destroy the starter. As I pulled out I shifted through gears, and was cruising in 4th gear at about 20-25mph. I made a couple of attempts on the brakes to see if the problem was still occuring, and it wasn't.

Through out the whole situation, it happened randomly and then stopped happening randomly, and I have not been able to recreate the problem since.

Can anybody give me some advice or tell me what is going on?

Very much appreciated.
d.c.george is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 10:37 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
front brake. starter button. disassemble the assembly and correctly reassemble.

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
d.c.george
ninjette.org member

You think there is some kind of short in that right hand assembly where the front brake and the starter all come together?

Thanks!

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.george View Post
You think there is some kind of short in that right hand assembly where the front brake and the starter all come together?

Thanks!
honestly unless someone is playing a dirty trick on you, that's really the only thing it could be. it wouldnt be hard to run a line from the brake light to the starter relay which would be a hilarious trick and i'm totally gonna get someone with that in the future. but i doubt you got so lucky that the brake light wire and the starter relay input got shorted.

Old May 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
d.c.george
ninjette.org member

That would be very funny, but I am certain that is not the case.

But, check this out.

I took it for a spin today when I got home from work. I rode about 8 miles. No issues what so ever. When I got back home I took the assembly on the right hand grip apart, all looked okay, and I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. (I am good with mechanics, mainly cars however I am not out of my comfort zone with bikes although they are new to me.)

After the assembly on the right hand grip checked out, I took the plastic side covers off, followed by the rider seat, and the passenger seat. I inspected all visible wires, and even gave all the ones I could reach a little jiggle. Still nothing, so I decided to put it all back together, and wait to see if the problem would occur again another day. I started the bike up, and began to put it all back together. While putting it back together I had the front seat, and the side plastics back on, and then the radiator fan kicked on. I sat on the bike and squeezed the front brake, and pushed my body weight forward a couple of times, as if checking the front brakes. As I did that, it happened again! I would click the front brake, and it would cause the starter motor to go.

I even shut the bike off with the kill switch, and then started it again by squeezing the front brake only. Now, back home with the comfort of my own space and all my tools, I took the front seat, and side plastics back off again. I began to look for sparks, frayed wires and any other obvious signs of a problem, and still I found nothing. I jiggle the wires again, and out of no where the problem stopped. I check all of the wires I jiggled and I still found no outward signs of anything. As I did before, I tried to recreate the problem, I jiggled all of the wires again, and squeezed the brakes while putting my weight forward and It wouldn't do it again.

I put the bike all the way back together and took it for a ride about 3 miles, It never happened again. Road perfectly.

I really don't know what is going on here.

Old May 31st, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have an idea.

try rotating your starter relay 90 degrees on the vertical axis.

Old May 31st, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I noticed you never said anything about your battery or fuse box. How were your lights and horn? I assume the bike idled and rode just fine? If it's a brand new bike, take it back to the dealer ASAP>
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
d.c.george
ninjette.org member

My horn, blinkers, gauges, and everything else to my knowledge works just fine. The bike rides completely normal.

I bought the bike on April 20th 2012.

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
take it to the dealer, its under warranty. make them fix it for free, its not your problem.

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I had something similar happen on a Bandit years ago. The main wiring harness moved a bit, and at full lock it got itself crunched a bit at the steering stops. I realized when I pulled the clutch lever in, the starter motor spun. Neat trick!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 04:41 AM   #11
d.c.george
ninjette.org member

I believe the wire that I moved around that caused it to stop happening was the main.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

If it happens again I'm going to take it straight to the dealer.

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #12
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
I believe the wire that I moved around that caused it to stop happening was the main.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

If it happens again I'm going to take it straight to the dealer.
I am having this exact same issue at the gas station right now. Where is this main you speak of?
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #13
d.c.george
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
I am having this exact same issue at the gas station right now. Where is this main you speak of?
Under the right side black plastic piece that is directly under the rider seat. It is a thick bundle of wires, attached to the black powder coated frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #14
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Under the right side black plastic piece that is directly under the rider seat. It is a thick bundle of wires, attached to the black powder coated frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
And what did you do to fix it?

Old June 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #15
d.c.george
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
And what did you do to fix it?
I jiggled the wires back and forth a couple of times, then it randomly stopped, I tried to recreate it and it wouldn't happen again, gas never happened since.

Let me know what you find out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 16th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #16
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Found the culprit. It was a pinched bundle of wires to te starter button. It was pinched between the handlebar riser and the triple tree. It came that way from the factory. I guess it just took 2600 miles to rear its head. And all I wanted was a tank of gas for my road trip tomorrow...