ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 31st, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1
krapzed
ninjette.org member

Name: Park

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja ZX6R / 2010 Ninja 250r (SOLD)

Crashed.. what to do next?

friends, I crashed. so I was riding along in a leisurely pace (within speed limit) when a pick-up truck suddenly turnedleft in front of me (towards a strip club!). I panicked, perhaps engaged my brakes too hard thus locking my brakes and threw me off my bike.. i ended in the road while my bike crashed onto the belly of the truck. I was fully geared hence no major injury except for a sprained left wrist.. my bike looks totaled though.

the police officer who checked on me in the hospital told me that the truck driver is at fault. this is my first accident in my entire life! please can you guide me on what to do next? the truck has commercial plates, not sure what his business is in the strip club at 8 in the morning? can i sue the driver?

I have full/comprehensive insurance with geico. thanks for the advices in advance...
krapzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2014, 03:52 PM   #2
shereth
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

If you have not done so, at a minimum you should contact your insurance carrier and notify them of the incident.

Although you describe your injuries as minimal and limited to a sprained wrist, you spent some time in the hospital so personal injury becomes a factor and that can complicate matters. If you are feeling confident in yourself, you could theoretically do all of the work of negotiating with the truck driver's insurance for a settlement, but if you do be very careful. They are likely to contact you at some point and when they do, what you say could seriously limit your ability to be fairly compensated.

If you are looking to get paid for more than just the value of your motorcycle, strongly consider hiring a personal injury lawyer. I am no fan of lawyers in general but at least they know what they are doing. Try and find someone in your area who is reputable (be careful about the sleezeballs who advertise on late night television). They will cut into any settlement that you get, but again, if you are looking for more than merely replacement value of your bike, you'll probably wind up better off for it.

Technically you could sue the driver, but what almost always happens is that you (or your lawyer) will accept a settlement made by their insurance company.

Glad to hear you are OK after the accident, and sorry to hear about your bike. Good luck dealing with the insurance companies!
shereth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Whatever you do,DO NOT post a bunch about the accident prior to contacting the insurance company and receiving any settlement. Anything you post can be used.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2014, 03:59 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yep, call your insurance. This is what you pay them for. Your insurance will love going after someone else to make them pay.

If you have an official document indicating that the driver is at fault all the better.

Once the process starts, limit what you say online regarding the incident or what's going on relating to it since their insurance will be looking for *anything* to reduce what they will have to pay out on.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I agree with not saying any more than you already have. Contact your insurance company asap. They will walk you through the process. Sorry to hear about this, I hope everything works out in the best way possible.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2014, 04:30 PM   #6
krapzed
ninjette.org member

Name: Park

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja ZX6R / 2010 Ninja 250r (SOLD)

thank you so much for the replies. i have contacted my insurer and pretty much have an idea of how this will move forward. Ill be waiting for the official police rort to come out and thereafter decide if I should pursue a personal injury case. i feel that compensation for the damage to the bike and medical reimbursement is not enough. there must be someting punitive, if only to teach this guy a lesson...
krapzed is offline   Reply With Quote