Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow Eventual riding over sand for street riders

A good set of instructions for riding over sand and mud:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFvjFdIjoKgGBmnkNwahV2Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
First off, I am glad to see you reviewing videos... good or bad.
Second, like I have asked of other veteran ninjette members, for every couple of bad videos you watch, view a good riding video as well.

Yin and yang is important.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

Old August 13th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Great post

Old August 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #3
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I've been playing his advice through in my head a bit and presently have determined that it would be a bad idea to use some elements of his suggestions when on a patch of sand/gravel on top of an otherwise clean-grippy road.

Specifically, I think the idea of locking the rear seems like a very bad idea. The surface he was playing on was pure dirt. On a road you will likely transition from grip-to-no-grip once or more within a short period of time and at high speed. I can just picture the bike stepping out too far (when hitting sand) or suddenly catching grip (when hitting clean pavement again).

The suggestions of being very loose on the bars and not chopping the throttle seem like sound advice to me (based on how I imagine the bike to respond and my experience riding DH on an MTB).

On my MTB I'm usually ultra relaxed even when going over 20mph DH over very rough terrain. Generally the bike just does was it needs to and I only have to give input to the bike to handle the higher-level decision making, IE where I want to direct the bike and which obstacles I have to hop or ride around. On my MTB I also gently reposition my weight a lot. I imagine on a motorcycle hitting sand in a corner, I would most likely be able to assist the bike by slightly lifting my butt off the seat, gently shifting my weight into the inside of the turn and also to the centre point of my bike. This would have the effect of transferring weight to a lower point of the bike and allowing the bike to stand more vertically.

I'm pretty much thinking out loud here. I'm not trying to establish any facts.

Old August 14th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://www.smartadventures.ca/street.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #5
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

nice video, but the real issue with sand and street riding is when the sand is there mid turn and you did not know it was there,and its suddenly under your now leaning front tire.
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
nice video, but the real issue with sand and street riding is when the sand is there mid turn and you did not know it was there,and its suddenly under your now leaning front tire.
I agree, that's why it's a good idea to expect detritus mid turn and stay in the wheel tracks and off the center of the lane.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #7
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I agree, that's why it's a good idea to expect detritus mid turn and stay in the wheel tracks and off the center of the lane.
ive seen it across a whole lane, not just on the grease strip or outside of the turn. also seen the same with water
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
ive seen it across a whole lane, not just on the grease strip or outside of the turn. also seen the same with water
It depends on the road and how often cars travel over it. For example in a right hand corner with decent car traffic the debris will typically collect in the center of the right lane. The inside of the turn on the far right but outside of the lane. And sometimes you'll get a layer in the middle of the road at the peak of the crown. Trying to run a delayed apex on corners like these is a recipe for disaster as you're definitely going to transit the center of the lane where there is a high percentage chance of debris being collected.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.