ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old October 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

'74 CB550 carb 'gurgling'

When I first got this bike, the carbs were so dirty that it wouldn't run except on full choke, and wouldn't run without constant throttle and full choke while cold. But it ran.

Over the weekend, I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Right now I'm running open headers until my new exhaust comes in, and pod filters. After reassembling the bike, it wouldn't start, and I could hear gurgling in the carbs. After a few tries, it ran for a second, but sounded like a bubble machine.

The carbs are on stock jets, and stock a/f screw height. I've tried with the floats at stock height, and at the height I got the bike at (about 32mm). With the stock height it just dumped the fuel on the ground after a few kicks.

The electrics work, but I think the battery might be almost dead or underfilled. Could that be a factor?

Old October 27th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Funny. I looked up "carb gurgling" to try and find some good references for you, and the first hit is the same post you made on the sohc4 site. Looks like they helped out a bit, is the bike running yet?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Well, when I tried googling it, I came up with stomach gurgling from something about carbohydrates.

While their information was helpful, it wasn't quite helpful to me. Because when I said "open headers," I really meant "no headers." After putting my exhaust on, I found that it stopped gurgling when trying to kick it.

The bike still isn't running yet. Main reason is I lost the one key for it, mere hours before I planned on getting it copied. Since I don't have the key, I can't remove the tank to replace the fuel lines or adjust the valves. So HOPEFULLY it'll be running by this weekend (ordered a set of NOS keys and they shipped Monday).

Old March 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Do you have pictures? Is it running yet?

Old March 12th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Hmm.. Check your lines? When my vacuum lines are leaking they sound funny.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #6
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I believe you have vacuum actuated carbs in that bike ? Defiantly check the vacuum lines and seals .
Also check the intake boots for leaking and seal
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote