ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 28th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #1
UCSDavid
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Replacing Front Turn Signals

So i purchased a set of Aftermarket Turn Signals from Cycle Gear but once i got home i realized they look way to small to fit in the front turn signal socket. This is the link to what i purchased.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P...ignals/p/38743

The employees at cycle gear told me i should be able to use any of the turn signals with my Kawasaki Ninja 250.

Im new on this forum and couldn't find just basic replacement of turn signals....

should i return these turn signals or is there a possibility of me replacing them myself?

Thanks!
UCSDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
What are you looking for in your replacements? There's no "basic replacement" signals that I am aware of. Are you needing to just replace yours because they are missing/broken, too dim, too ugly, wanting LEDs, something else?

Most aftermarket signals are going to require a little bit of fiddling in order to install them, whether you get LEDs, flush mounts, shorties, whatever.

If you feel up to it, installing them just takes knowing how to connect the two wires to the stock wires (or being clever and finding the OEM connector to keep the stock signal wire uncut). Mounting them is where the challenge lies since you need to find a way to securely mount them in place either using the existing holes or drilling your own.

How adventurous are you feeling when it comes to electrical wiring?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #3
UCSDavid
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I need to replace the turn signals because my bike got dropped on its right side and completely busted the turn signal.

I am completely new at doing there types of repairs but i am looking to understand how my bike works and want to learn how to fix things myself...

So would best advice be just to open it up and see what i can make work?

by Basic replacement i just meant that all the other threads i looked at were replacing with LED signals and it seems that using LED signals have a lot more work to do and i don't believe the turn signals i bought are LED...

I would probably prefer to find the OEM connector so i don't have to cut wires and what not....Any advice on finding the OEM connector?
UCSDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
If you just want to replace the signal because the stock on broke and have no qualms about the look or brightness, the simplest solution would be to buy the OEM lights. Which can be found here: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ALS/parts.html (well more specifically here: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...3037-0116.html) The only difference between the Left Hand and Right Hand versions is the drain hole.

Partzilla tends to have good prices, far better than the shop, but there are a few other sources as well (Kawasaki Parts House, BikeBandit, eBay, your local shop). You can contact them to double check, but being an OEM part, they should have the connector already installed on the light and it should be a plug and play repair.

If you want to just use what you've already bought....

I've not had luck finding the connector, but eBay lists a bunch of them that may or may not fit. If you have an electronics store in your area, pull your rear turn signal off and take it to them, asking for the male piece that matches what is on the wire. Sorry I am no help on that end.

Otherwise, you can keep the existing connector and clip the stock wire between it and the broken light. Then either use a bullet or spade connector (bullet seems to be the best style that I have read) or solder to link the wires together, using heat shrink or electrical tape to cover and protect the connection. The colors on the bike are Black/Yellow for the ground, and either Green or Grey for the positive depending on what side you are working on.

Which way you go is up to you. I fully understand wanting to do the work yourself, that's how I've been learning how to work on my bike.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2014, 10:37 PM   #5
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Lori

Motorcycle(s): 2018 NINJA 650 ABS KRT

My bike came with a broken left front blinker. I disassembled what was left of it, and then took a test light to make sure the wiring was still functioning. It was, so I bought an OEM blinker. All I needed was the bulb/reflector housing and the cover, but you have to buy the whole thing, which includes the wiring. Rather than working around or removing the fairing to get to the switch plug, I took apart the new one and used just the pieces I needed. Make sure you get it reassembled the right way or the cover won't go on. It doesn't matter which way power and ground are connected; I had to redo mine when I discovered the cover problem, but my ground wire was too short, so I flipped the bulb/reflector housing upside down and hooked them up the opposite way and it works fine!
BAZININJA is offline   Reply With Quote