Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 30th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #1
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Made a ninjette dirt bike this weekend

One of my old non-titled Ninjas came back to me last Thursday night. Last I saw of it I had scrapped it for parts and gave it to a friend of mine who did this.
I had a couple titled Ninja 250s in the garage and one had a blown engine. I knew the dirt Ninja had a good lump so one thing lead to another and I made something else. Here's where it started a couple days ago:

thedrewski86 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old May 30th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #2
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

So it's a titled 2000 Ninja w/ CRF230 forks, a CR flat slide carb and chopped dogbones in the back. Gonna get heavier fork oil, go with a number plate on the front and hide the headlight/turn signals. Other stuff too I can't remember.
Basically this was a free project so, yes, I know I ruined a well designed bike but this thing was beyond shot. Oh, and if anyone wants MASSIVE TORQUE put a flat slide CR carb on these engines, it's insane. Whealy heaven and this is stock gearing.
Meanwhile this is sitting in my backyard and I have another shot and titled Ninja 250 in my garage... I think it makes a sharp bobber. Maybe some fork mount clip ons??

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:01 PM   #4
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Eliminated my rear fender today. If some folks haven't already done this, DO IT. It's free, super easy and requires little hacking. Kawasaki basically put everything there for owners to do this, it's too easy. I just have to decide where I want to mount my plate.

Mounted my rear turn signals to my front brackets, they work nicely.

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:13 PM   #5
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I approve of this toybox garage.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Very interesting project! I really like the look and the idea of a 250 twin dirt bike is great. I would like to know if the CR carb helps make more torque or if the smaller split intake manifold is what is responsible for all the torque you reported. who made the manifold and where did the CR carb come from/off? Was it repurposed from another bike or purchased for this project? I would love more info (possibly in a PM) since my wife does not like to rev out her bike and more (torque) power down low has been the reason for many of the mods I have done to her 2012 250. Love the project
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2021, 04:17 PM   #7
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Very interesting project! I really like the look and the idea of a 250 twin dirt bike is great. I would like to know if the CR carb helps make more torque or if the smaller split intake manifold is what is responsible for all the torque you reported. who made the manifold and where did the CR carb come from/off? Was it repurposed from another bike or purchased for this project? I would love more info (possibly in a PM) since my wife does not like to rev out her bike and more (torque) power down low has been the reason for many of the mods I have done to her 2012 250. Love the project
Hey there, been forever since I saw this bike, I wish I could tell you more about it as the memory is not so great now. Pretty sure the carb was off a Honda 450, my buddy who was a Honda tech sourced the carb and made the intake. He actually ran the same carb on an old HD shovelhead motor (and many other builds) with great success. I guess it was his opinion that this was just a great all-around carb and used them on everything. I don't even know where the power hit as I don't think I ran any gauges on this one.
As far as I know, my old neighbor's boyfriend still has this bike on his farm in Michigan's UP. I gave it to him when I moved to California. It sure was a fun and interesting thing to ride... I even did it up better than you see in these pics but I doubt I could find evidence of it. I know I put a round headlight on it, a real dirt tire on the back and cleaned a few things up here and there. It never gave me any problems and it was really reliable. I was always surprised people didn't turn the 1st gens into dirt bikes more often but nowadays we have a lot more dirt-prepped streetbikes on the market.

Old June 29th, 2021, 07:05 PM   #8
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Awesome! Talk about recycling and refurbishing!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2021, 08:04 PM   #9
memphisninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Spencer

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250 and Suzuki Burgman 400. Previously owned: 78 KZ650, 80 KZ440, 03 ZX6R

I can dig it! So the CRF230 front end just fits right in without much modification? I wanna do this now...
memphisninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2021, 09:33 AM   #10
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisninja View Post
I can dig it! So the CRF230 front end just fits right in without much modification? I wanna do this now...
Going back in the memory bank, I don't believe it was as simple as all that. A friend of mine put the parts together for this and made the bike in the first pic, as I was taking parts off and building the second bike, I'm pretty sure I remember quite a bit of welding and modifications to the triple tree and bearing races but I can't be sure.
Bottom line, don't use this as a blueprint for future builds it was a sketchy ride! It was definitely fun and did surprisingly well, but it was a frankenbike made possible by lots of spare parts, cutting, and welding.

Old July 24th, 2021, 12:36 PM   #11
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

Looks like a lot of fun

Old July 26th, 2021, 05:37 AM   #12
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I Bet that makes a great Dirt bike !

Fantastic build there !
I bet that thing just tears up dirt roads ! looks like a blast !
I'm tempted... but I like my 250R the way it is, just needs more speed and I'll be happy !
Bob...
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote