ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #41
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

+1 on turning head for lane hangin or merging, but when i need to check behind me, i move either to the left or right side of the lane, snd tuck my elbow in real quick, ;-D
Posted via Mobile Device
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #42
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I never had a problem with the 250. Yes I'm a bigger guy (200lbs) and I found my sweet spot that I adjusted them to. Almost all bikes (sport style) you end up pointing them to about where your elbows are in the mirror and you tuck them in to see. It's not hard but takes some adjusting to get use to it. I actually went down a slow traffic 2 lane road while no one was out and adjusted them as I was riding with a friend behind me on his bike. I adjusted it so on both mirrors I could see him in any of his lane positions. Seems like no matter how much adjustment you do at a stop when you start moving its pointed wrong.

My problem with my CBR is the damn things shake so bad you cant see anything but a blurred image of what seems like a car behind you.

When I merge onto the highway or into a completely different lane with heavy traffic I never rely on my mirrors. I will physically sit up and turn around to look down the road im merging onto so I can see all conditions around me. Sometimes this requires me to take a hand off the bars but I'd rather be a guy going slower than traffic to see whats going on then the guy who just jumps out there thinking he didn't see anything.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #43
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
My problem with my CBR is the damn things shake so bad you cant see anything but a blurred image of what seems like a car behind you.
I'm not sure that is normal. I don't have that issue with my 1000RR...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #44
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I'm not sure that is normal. I don't have that issue with my 1000RR...
Maybe the bolts need tightend I'll check that when I get home (Thanks). It maybe the RPM I'm running but compaired to the 250 those things are SHAKEY.

Old November 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #45
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post

Definitely check your mounts, my '08 RR mirrors doesn't vibrate, and i can see behind fine, even at 90+
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #46
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDynamite View Post
I am a new rider. I've had my ninja for about 4 weeks. No matter how I adjust the mirrors I am having a difficult time seeing. I often just see my forearms. Once I tuck my forearms in it seems O.K. Is this normal? The position on the Ninja's mirrors seem to not be effective.
I went the opposite direction, meaning in instead of out. In the olden days they callled them suicide mirrors which sounds like something i'd end up with, but they work. They attach like bar ends but curve up and over or as i ride down and under. I can see right under my arm and it's clear/stable unlike stalk or extended mirrors. Head checks have always been taught as mandatory, never go without.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:07 AM   #47
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Name: Megan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

I am a new rider as well and I was always messing with my mirrors. I finally got them where I can see both lanes well, but now I cant see behind me. I simply tuck my elbow real quick and I can see behind me. It isnt a problem to do. I check over my shoulder as well. No need in spending $$$ when you can just take a quick peak
ladyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011, 05:13 AM   #48
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrocket View Post
I am a new rider as well and I was always messing with my mirrors. I finally got them where I can see both lanes well, but now I cant see behind me. I simply tuck my elbow real quick and I can see behind me. It isnt a problem to do. I check over my shoulder as well. No need in spending $$$ when you can just take a quick peak
One of the most popular Ninja modifications is extenders that put the mirrors out just slightly to extend your sight lines. A few have said it it the most important mod you can do for your bike, as it really helps safety. Here is a thread on the Motech Mirror Extenders, which look great and will alleviate this problem (albeit for some money). The are available at Twisted Throttle. Here is a photo:

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #49
spencerkro
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

650 Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Try some mirror extenders or newer 650r mirrors.
Anyone had any success with 650r mirrors? I wonder how they compare to extenders...
spencerkro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM   #50
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

halcyon bar ends from u. k. i think i've got the 830 mofrl, one of a few.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM   #51
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I just got used to tucking my elbow in real quick to check behind me. But it doesn't bother me now. My main annoyance is they are so small its sometimes hard to get a clear view with depth, so I sometimes just turn around.
+1
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:23 PM   #52
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.reevu.com/

Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM   #53
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

This is weird but, went for a short ride today and noticed that me left side mirror was positioned is such a way that allowed me to see behind me and the left lane without the need to move my elbows. I kinda startled me at first and caused me to spend more time than normal looking at the traffic behind me - it was nice to see behind me when coming to a stop.

I park the bike in my garage in front of my daily vehicle that causes me to brush against the mirror as I past the bike - that and the cover I have, the mirror pockets are closer together than the Ninja mirrors so it also moves the mirrors when I slip it on. The combintation of the two placed my mirror in a way that totally changed the view - it made the left side totally functional - so the mirrors can work if you can find the "sweet" spot.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:45 PM   #54
spencerkro
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I just measured my brother's ninja 650r mirrors and they are aprox 2 inches longer (the mirror stems, not the actual mirrors themselves) than the 250's mirrors. The mirror extenders are only 40mm (1.6inches).
spencerkro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #55
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Going to reverse and turn the mirrors upside down on the ZZR250. Will look under the arms then.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #56
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
This is weird but, went for a short ride today and noticed that me left side mirror was positioned is such a way that allowed me to see behind me and the left lane without the need to move my elbows. I kinda startled me at first and caused me to spend more time than normal looking at the traffic behind me - it was nice to see behind me when coming to a stop.

I park the bike in my garage in front of my daily vehicle that causes me to brush against the mirror as I past the bike - that and the cover I have, the mirror pockets are closer together than the Ninja mirrors so it also moves the mirrors when I slip it on. The combintation of the two placed my mirror in a way that totally changed the view - it made the left side totally functional - so the mirrors can work if you can find the "sweet" spot.
Strangely, I find that sweet spot to be with the pointy tips pointed slightly up, which is more narrow than the maximum width. It actually looks cooler too.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #57
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrocket View Post
spend no money, create good habit. nice trim-out on your ride.

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #58
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
Going to reverse and turn the mirrors upside down on the ZZR250. Will look under the arms then.
like this?

I think it looks goofy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NINJA 250R flipped mirrors.jpg (166.9 KB, 1 views)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #59
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Reminds me of droopy dog...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #60
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Name: Megan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
spend no money, create good habit. nice trim-out on your ride.
thank you!

Old March 26th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #61
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerkro View Post
I just measured my brother's ninja 650r mirrors and they are aprox 2 inches longer (the mirror stems, not the actual mirrors themselves) than the 250's mirrors. The mirror extenders are only 40mm (1.6inches).
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerkro View Post
Anyone had any success with 650r mirrors? I wonder how they compare to extenders...
The 650r mirrors are not only longer but they sit up alot higher. The 650 mirrors I got are from a later model bike, more angular. I think the early models had a more oval shape to them. Anyway, the newer 650 mirrors are kind of the opposite of the 250 mirrors. The wider part of the mirror is to the outside whereas ours start out wide and taper down. I'll post a pic later today to show the difference but for the most part I like the 650 mirrors even though they vibrate way more at higher speed.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #62
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
halcyon bar ends from u. k. i think i've got the 830 model, one of a few.

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #63
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

time for the classic shoulder tuck method
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #64
bob706

650r mirrors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2113.jpg (98.4 KB, 206 views)

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #65
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
650r mirrors.
Like the Rammstein logo but I never really liked the 650R mirrors... even on a 650R.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #66
bob706

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Like the Rammstein logo
Then you sir, are alright in my book

Got the mirrors on ebay for way less than the cost of the extenders. It's a wash either way. I believe someone on the forum tried zx-14 mirrors.

Old March 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #67
Fridaynight
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
I've had success pushing the stems (is that the right term?) about as far forward as possible and then pulling the mirrors back in toward me. This gives me pretty much a full view of the road behind me - albeit only in the upper most corner of the mirror. YMMV.

I tried this out the other day, and it helped a TON. Push the stems forward, then pull back on the outer edge of the mirror to get it how you want it. You might still need extenders, but this way worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the tip.
Fridaynight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #68
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Then you sir, are alright in my book

Got the mirrors on ebay for way less than the cost of the extenders. It's a wash either way. I believe someone on the forum tried zx-14 mirrors.
Bob, I tried the ZX14 mirrors, and they were great. Somebody bumped one of the mirrors and broke the plastic. I replaced both mirrors with the Slikdesign telescoping mirrors. Nice thing about them is that they not only extend, but they also retract in farther than the OEM mirrors--great for lane splitting, riding fully tucked in, and morons who walk into them in parking lots. The dealer who took my bike in trade was really impressed by them. He ordered a set for his early model Honda Sport Bike.

Old April 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM   #69
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

I had bought some "total view 360" blind spot mirrors for my truck that I never ended up putting on so I tried them on the bike. I love them! If they were just a bit smaller they would be perfect, but They let me see behind me quite well and for $15 its hard to beat.
http://www.amazon.com/Total-View-360.../dp/B0032J1KAK
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2020, 12:46 PM   #70
arthury
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250J; 2005 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I orient both with an upward tilt (seems counter-intuitive but it works) and aim them for maximum visibility behind. I then lean to see lanes to either side and I use a head check in addition (like the MSF BRC says to do).
I know this is an Old Thread but leaning fwd allows me to see rear traffic.
arthury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2020, 04:36 AM   #71
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

I have TWO sets of mirrors. Extended ones ( for a 650 ninja?) And I utilize some quality bar end mirrors.

I have the mirrors placed so that I have a bit of underlap. The bar ends mirrors are for whats behind me (mostly) and regular mirrors are for my blind spot,. (Mostly) Because of the underlap, and peripheral vision, I see a car, one way or another. It takes a bit of constant adjust at first. But when you get them dialed in.. its almost a full 180 of vision, behind/beside you, and your peripheral vision.

Which honestly is how your autos side, and rear view mirrors should be set up, ideally
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2020, 11:30 AM   #72
NinjaPony
New rider

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2021 Ninja 400 (abs), 2004 NinjaEx (2007 motor)

both are critical for the safest outcome. After looking at some comments I must agree the stock mirrors are a bit weird, with that being said they work. I like to look back or over my shoulder as well because well it would piss me off if I got hit by a car. Do what makes you feel safest and stay hyper aware my friends.
NinjaPony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2020, 12:37 PM   #73
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Which honestly is how your autos side, and rear view mirrors should be set up, ideally
yeah! I hate the massive overlap people have on their auto. Side-view mirrors don't show anything that's already shown in rear-view mirror. I prefer to have my side-view mirrors aim to look at... the SIDE! Just starting at edge of peripheral vision.

So when cars come up and go out of view of rear mirror, they show up in side mirrors. Then when they come up past those, they show up in peripheral vision. Can actually see 360-degrees all around with properly set up mirrors
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote