ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

What are your thoughts on energy drinks?

I've seen some professional athletes sip on 12 ounces of Red Bull periodically throughout a 60 minute hockey game, And if you watch MotoGP (I don't), you probably notice riders are sponsored by brands like Monster and are seen carrying bottles of Red Bull, but I wonder if they actually drink it or if it's just a shameless plug.

Once you quit drinking soda cold turkey like I did, you don't really crave sugar or syrup any longer. However, I recently started drinking sugar free Red Bull which contains the artificial sweetener aspartame. I don't intend on consuming more than 24oz per month. And I don't see them much differently than a bottle of beer as far as responsibility is concerned. An 18-year-old Irish athlete, Ross Cooney, died within hours after playing a basketball game and consuming four cans of Red Bull. There's also other stupid stories of people mixing stimulants (energy drinks) with depressants (alcohol) which is like causing a tornado in your central nervous system.

I'm wondering how healthy it is. When I realized my 12oz sugar free Red Bull had only 15 calories, I thought that couldn't be normal. It does have a lot of B vitamins and in large quantities -- up to 360% of the RDA for vitamin B6 as well as taurine. But my understanding is that it's all synthetic, meaning your body can't make much out (if anything?) of it and you piss your money away if I'm not mistaken.

I find that they make me slightly jittery. But I don't experience a crash afterwards perhaps because it's sugarless. I also feel like it slightly improves my concentration/reaction time, and maybe even suppresses my appetite, but I don't know how much of that is all in my head.

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I think they are stupid and a waste of money. And I am pretty sure they are not good for you. I don't drink soda either. I quit that like 4 years ago. I used to drink like 3 cans a day. I still have one every now and then though.

No I mainly drink tea and water. And a cup of coffee every morning to get me going.

Anywho. I get my energy from healthy-ish food and sleep.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

I drink energy drinks one weekend a month, two weeks a year
Some replace that w/ 'smoke'. YMMV.

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Heed

A friend of mine drinks Monsters like water. He'll be diabetic someday. I've been told the citric acid is also just as bad for your teeth as sugar is.

I wonder the same thing about sports drinks like Gatorade or Powerade, too. It's mostly water and sugar, but it at least has electrolytes and potassium. Again, probably synthetic and not the real thing you'd get out of a banana.

/shrug

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I drink 2-3 monsters per day and have recurring shipments from amazon.

This is my broken leg recovery center

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Interesting recovery center. Lotion at your right hand and the paper towels at your left. to physical therapy.

On topic, something about companies marketing an addictive substance for cash gives me the willies. You drink a Red Bull/Monster or two a day, and then stop, you get caffeine headaches. Also, caffeine dehydrates you, giving you an incentive to drink . . . more Red Bull/Monster. Genius. Built in need to drink everyday and chemically designed to get you into a feedback loop. Reminds me of cigarette company internal memos talking about the bonus of nicotine addiction, particularly in combination with Red Bull and Monster's tobacco-like marketing budget in the sports world.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Lmao but seriously, I use a sock, or a shirt

I don't think caffeine is addictive, at least for me. When I crave a monster other caffeinated drinks just won't do and if I don't have caffeine I don't get a headache. Also what's strange is that the more monsters I drink in a day, the worse they taste. The first one is amazing, I'm always sure to pair it up with a delicious meal like subway. The second one is pretty good, it's a hard choice to drink it in the afternoon or save it till dinner. The 3rd one is just meh and I usually won't even finish it because it just doesn't taste great anymore. If monsters continued to taste as good as the first one I'd have no problem drinking 7 in a day. Another interesting fact is that the earlier in the day it is the better they taste, pre 7am monsters are goddamn orgasmic. Oh and a monster while you are on IV heroin is the most delicious thing in the world. Last meal on death row will be one monster and an IV of heroin.

Now if you can explain this phenomenon that I'm experiencing whether it's related to addiction or caffeine or just my amazingly ****ed up super brain I am all ears, and other body parts
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #8
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I've seen some professional athletes sip on 12 ounces of Red Bull periodically throughout a 60 minute hockey game, And if you watch MotoGP (I don't), you probably notice riders are sponsored by brands like Monster and are seen carrying bottles of Red Bull, but I wonder if they actually drink it or if it's just a shameless plug.

Once you quit drinking soda cold turkey like I did, you don't really crave sugar or syrup any longer. However, I recently started drinking sugar free Red Bull which contains the artificial sweetener aspartame. I don't intend on consuming more than 24oz per month. And I don't see them much differently than a bottle of beer as far as responsibility is concerned. An 18-year-old Irish athlete, Ross Cooney, died within hours after playing a basketball game and consuming four cans of Red Bull. There's also other stupid stories of people mixing stimulants (energy drinks) with depressants (alcohol) which is like causing a tornado in your central nervous system.

I'm wondering how healthy it is. When I realized my 12oz sugar free Red Bull had only 15 calories, I thought that couldn't be normal. It does have a lot of B vitamins and in large quantities -- up to 360% of the RDA for vitamin B6 as well as taurine. But my understanding is that it's all synthetic, meaning your body can't make much out (if anything?) of it and you piss your money away if I'm not mistaken.

I find that they make me slightly jittery. But I don't experience a crash afterwards perhaps because it's sugarless. I also feel like it slightly improves my concentration/reaction time, and maybe even suppresses my appetite, but I don't know how much of that is all in my head.
I drink a Monster to stay awake at work if I only had 5 hours of sleep. To fix that jittery feeling, make sure you eat something with protein like peanut butter right after you drink the energy drink.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Heed

I'm not sure if I feel addicted to the caffeine either. Well, everyone has different tolerance, especially with caffiene. The first RB I had in a long time was just a couple of days ago. I stopped at a gas station and grabbed one before a 2 hour drive. I didn't get the jitters then, probably because I was gradually drinking it. Couple days later at work my thought process was "maybe I'll have one today". And like an idiot, I put that 12oz can down in 5 minutes or so. That's when I felt jittery. I don't think you're supposed to drink so much so fast. Sustained release ftw.

I don't get headaches, but if I drink it too fast, I feel like my body is getting overworked almost like I'm getting sweaty.

Old June 29th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

Caffeine can totally be addicting. My friend cannot not have at least 2 monsters a day. She knows she's addicted but isn't ready to quit yet.
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
^ I'm in love with your friend
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
A friend of mine drinks Monsters like water. He'll be diabetic someday. I've been told the citric acid is also just as bad for your teeth as sugar is.

I wonder the same thing about sports drinks like Gatorade or Powerade, too. It's mostly water and sugar, but it at least has electrolytes and potassium. Again, probably synthetic and not the real thing you'd get out of a banana.

/shrug

Funny you should mention the teeth thing. I used to also drink like a bottle of Gatorade once a day or so and when I went in to see my dentist he asked me if I drink soda and I told him no since I quit that and thought Gatorade would be a good replacement. But no. He told me not to drink so much Gatorade. That **** is bad for your teeth. He said if I want to drink Gatorade, I should water it down because it is so acidic. So now I rarely even drink it.

I don't even want to imagine what it was doing to the insides of my body.

Water is my go to drink when I am thirsty!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I can pretty much guarantee that the MotoGP riders & hockey players have water in the red bull cans, they're doing it for the publicity fee.

I drink the odd one, RB does a decent job of waking me up if I'm losing concentration at work.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
He told me not to drink so much Gatorade. That **** is bad for your teeth. He said if I want to drink Gatorade, I should water it down because it is so acidic. So now I rarely even drink it.

I don't even want to imagine what it was doing to the insides of my body.
using a straw might help lol. disclaimer: im not a dentist.

Old June 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #15
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

Moderation is the key. I have one once in a while. I was drinking at least one daily, but since nearly cutting them completely out, I feel better.

I can't say for sure, but I'd almost bet money that the athletes you see with them are drinking water. Either that, or I've noticed a lot of guys appear to just sip the drinks, so it's possible that they could be drinking the real deal then. I know for a fact that they have had special Monster cans for Warped Tour filled with water in the past.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Good luck with your future liver problems to anyone who drinks these, and to anyone who drinks the sugar free versions good luck with your liver problems and your cancer!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #17
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Red bull sucks.
Monster Nitrous is the best...any flavor.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
Good luck with your future liver problems to anyone who drinks these, and to anyone who drinks the sugar free versions good luck with your liver problems and your cancer!
so no cancer if i drink the sugared versions? that logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Red bull sucks.
they all taste the same to me. probably because carbonated water, sugar/aspartame, citric acid, taurine, sodium and inositol tastes the same no matter what can it's in.

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

<---- Tea, water, a daily coffee and juice. That is about it. I may have a Coke or something on occasion, but I can rarely down more than 8oz of it when I do.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Fine by me, I don't want to end up old like you
AFM #676

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #21
xSean13

Quote:

they all taste the same to me. probably because carbonated water, sugar/aspartame, citric acid, taurine, sodium and inositol tastes the same no matter what can it's in.
But it's infused with nitrous oxide, thus giving it a smooth 'texture' versus other energy drinks being sour/acidic.

Old June 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Even if they somehow managed to make these drinks not taste disgusting, the potential drawbacks far outweigh any perceived benefits you might gain from an energy drink, or even soda pop for that matter. Aside from possibly raising the risk of diabetes and obesity, you've got other harmful chemical reactions to worry about.

Most of these drinks contain citric acid to give flavour and fizz, and benzoic acid as a food preservative. The concern is when you combine these two chemicals, they form benzene, a carcinogenic molecule. Now, one can of pop contains a low enough amount that if you drink it occasionally, there's probably not too much to fuss about. On the other hand, if you're slamming 3 cans back per day over a long period of time, you might want to start thinking about cutting back.

The other concern is the pop can itself. There is a plastic lining on the inside that keeps the aluminum from leeching into the liquid and also to protect the can itself. Without it, the citric acid would actually eventually start to corrode and rust the can from the inside out. However, now you've got toxic BPA from the plastic leeching into your foods and drinks. Yummy stuff.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #23
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Aspartame or whatever is known to cause Cancer in lab rats, but so is anything else, your risk is just higher if you consume it...Not 100% verified but it did increase tumurs in Rats for sure.
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #24
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

All energy drinks taste disgusting, except Jolt Blue. It doesn't have that disgusting after taste that energy drinks have.

But I never drink them except when I occasionally find Jolt Blue.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #25
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Red bull sucks.
3-serving can of , hands-down.
it's racist of them to make caps for all of their other 3-servings except that one.

Old June 30th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #26
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I can pretty much guarantee that the MotoGP riders & hockey players have water in the red bull cans, they're doing it for the publicity fee.
This ^^^

I don't think any professional athlete actually drinks that crap. At least not on "game day". I have been in the pits at multiple pro races and have seen mechanics/wives/girlfriends open cans of monster/red bull just to dump it out and refill the can with water or gatoraide. They usually try to do it in the trailer but every now and then you can catch one.

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #27
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I never really got into the whole energy drink craze, I operate just fine when they weren't a big thing and still don't need them now.

If I need an energy boost, I either exercise a little bit or drink tea.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #28
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
Aspartame or whatever is known to cause Cancer in lab rats, but so is anything else, your risk is just higher if you consume it...Not 100% verified but it did increase tumurs in Rats for sure.
Only in California. So just don't be in California when you drink it and you will be fine.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #29
Kygirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250R 1979 SuzukiGS425E

I ride with a Dr. Philippe Georgel on Sundays who teaches at Marshall University's Medical School in Huntington West Virginia. He's not a fan of red bull as some of his research has examined the carcinogenic effects of caffeine and taurine. However, he is also not a fan of coffee or caffeine at all so *shrug*.
Kygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #30
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

My thoughts on energy drinks (or anything other than water) when you're doing anything remotely physical is a big, fat NO. Have you ever drank one and tried to work/work-out/run/bike/play sports? You feel horrible! Water only. I won't drink Gatorade when I'm getting physical, but I will have some mixed in with even more water when I'm hydrating the day prior. So usually when I get off of work. When I'm at work I'll only drink water.

I believe the cans you see on TV are filled with water.

I'll only drink energy drinks if I'm driving my car. That's about the only time I can think of when I do that. I'll drink soda too if I'm just relaxing or don't plan on doing anything too strenuous for a while.

None of my methods are backed up by anything whatsoever other than me. I work outside all day building/installing fence in the 85+ degree heat and humidity. The nastier out it gets the more I thrive off of it. I love the weather that has others passing out, throwing up and heading to the hospital. I'm a complete sissy when the temps drop below 55 degrees.

I will add another story about energy drinks. The only time I ever drank one when doing something strenuous was when actually my first time trying one. I was at the BMX racing nationals. I had mad it to the main event and was waiting for my moto to be called. When it got called, a friend stopped me and recommend that I try a Red Bull before my moto. It gave me wings! I pedaled my 11 year old ass off to a first place victory by a long stretch. That was the first and last time though. Even then I could feel that they were bad for you.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #31
xSean13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
My thoughts on energy drinks (or anything other than water) when you're doing anything remotely physical is a big, fat NO. Have you ever drank one and tried to work/work-out/run/bike/play sports? You feel horrible! Water only. I won't drink Gatorade when I'm getting physical, but I will have some mixed in with even more water when I'm hydrating the day prior. So usually when I get off of work. When I'm at work I'll only drink water.

I believe the cans you see on TV are filled with water.

I'll only drink energy drinks if I'm driving my car. That's about the only time I can think of when I do that. I'll drink soda too if I'm just relaxing or don't plan on doing anything too strenuous for a while.

None of my methods are backed up by anything whatsoever other than me. I work outside all day building/installing fence in the 85+ degree heat and humidity. The nastier out it gets the more I thrive off of it. I love the weather that has others passing out, throwing up and heading to the hospital. I'm a complete sissy when the temps drop below 55 degrees.

I will add another story about energy drinks. The only time I ever drank one when doing something strenuous was when actually my first time trying one. I was at the BMX racing nationals. I had mad it to the main event and was waiting for my moto to be called. When it got called, a friend stopped me and recommend that I try a Red Bull before my moto. It gave me wings! I pedaled my 11 year old ass off to a first place victory by a long stretch. That was the first and last time though. Even then I could feel that they were bad for you.
I concur, though I only drink them when I need to stay awake.

When I took the MSF, my mom was taking it with me and drank a 5-hour energy before hand. Her hands were shaking and she was so jittery...she couldn't control the bike very well and eventually failed from dropping the bike a couple times.

I drank a monster at one of our breaks & noticed that I had a lot more trouble doing the small things that require precision (like the tight turns and figure 8).

Old June 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #32
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
3-serving can of , :
it should say 'dehydrate' instead of rehydrate on the can since they are diuretics, especially with tea and cafiene. you think they could get in trouble for that, but i doubt it.

i always have a water with my red bull and I don't chug it down in 5 mins like a moron. I think if you're smart about energy drinks and strictly take them in moderation, you'll be okay.

Old June 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #33
dark_beaverezt
ninjette.org member

Name: JOHAN

Motorcycle(s): YAMAHA X1, YAMAHA SNIPER 135LC, KawasaKi ninja 250r

That's pure marketing crap. Nothing beats the original. Water,,nothing comes close,,,I shy away from those energy drinks,,
dark_beaverezt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #34
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

What about MINERAL water? That's water with MINERALS! That's got to mean it's better right?!
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_beaverezt View Post
That's pure marketing crap. Nothing beats the original. Water,,nothing comes close,,,I shy away from those energy drinks,,
Alcohol
AFM #676

Old July 1st, 2012, 03:26 PM   #36
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_beaverezt View Post
I'll see your water & raise you milk...

protein, sugars, fat, water, vitamins & minerals... what more can you ask for?

Old July 1st, 2012, 04:08 PM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I'll see your water & raise you milk...

protein, sugars, fat, water, vitamins & minerals... what more can you ask for?
Something that doesn't taste like ass?
AFM #676

Old July 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM   #38
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Something that doesn't taste like ass?
Drink it ice cold & not from a plastic bottle, it tastes ok or non pasteurized straight from the chiller tank on a dairy farm

and we're talking energy drinks here, they're not exactly bought for their light refreshing flavours (you ever taste pure caffeine how bitter do you want it? )

Old July 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM   #39
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Milk (except for when mixed with other ingrediants) tastes like donkey farts. And actually I do drink monsters for the flavor, not for caffiene, taurine, etc. blah blah
AFM #676

Old July 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM   #40
Heed

milk tastes ok, kind of gives me a nasty aftertaste. but i'll fart like a cannon if it touches my lips anyway.

that lactose free stuff doesn't do anything either.

bagged tea doesn't really taste good unless you dump a gallon of honey in it.

black coffee works for me somehow.