ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Do you need to remove the front fairings to do a valve adjustment?

Hey guys. I've done my valve adjustments by taking off all my front and center fairings like most tutorials recommend but I'm wondering if it's possible to do it it without taking them off?

I have an LED light set up on my bike and I've had to remove and reattach it a couple of times which is a real pain the ass. I've made the lights that attach to my tank detachable, and I'd love if I can be lazy and not need to do the same for the lights on my front fairing.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:25 AM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
Hey guys. I've done my valve adjustments by taking off all my front and center fairings like most tutorials recommend but I'm wondering if it's possible to do it it without taking them off?

I have an LED light set up on my bike and I've had to remove and reattach it a couple of times which is a real pain the ass. I've made the lights that attach to my tank detachable, and I'd love if I can be lazy and not need to do the same for the lights on my front fairing.
I don't see how it can be done. Why not put a quick disconnect in the harness for the lights?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I see no reason to remove the front cowl but I also did my VA without removing the radiator or engine mount.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

YES YOU CAN.

Don't forget to tell us how hard it is after you do it please

But really as mentioned, just cut the wires and put in some quick disconnects. When I wired up the other bike, I put in quick disconnects knowing that I would have to pull the fairings off for maintenance and repairs.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you need to remove the front engine mounts which means, no. you need to take the fairings off. why you would want to try with them on is beyond me. its like when people leave the radiator on because they dont want to put new fluid in. beyond me.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just take off the fairing.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

you cant really do it. it wont be enjoyable. but if u can get right side mount part that holds the ignition coil ( has two bolts and a center weld) that would give you room to get the cover out and do the job. And wont have to remove the radiator or anything else. But yeah fairings got to go lol

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM   #8
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
you cant really do it. it wont be enjoyable. but if u can get right side mount part that holds the ignition coil ( has two bolts and a center weld) that would give you room to get the cover out and do the job. And wont have to remove the radiator or anything else. But yeah fairings got to go lol
I believe that's how I did it. I remember the valve cover coming out on the left side of the bike though. I measured all from the left side as well.

Don't get me wrong.... it's a little harder without taking the extra parts off but it can be done. My motto has always been to remove as little as possible to get the job done.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM   #9
dubojr1

WAIT......

I just noticed this is about a pre-gen.... I have NO clue what's involved in the VA on a pre-gen.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
My motto has always been to remove as little as possible to get the job done.
my motto is do yourself a favor and make the job as easy as possible so you dont strip bolts or break things or drop things down into the engine. i mean engine bolts, who cares about other bolts. removing the water outlet thing makes putting on and off the cover so much easier. and not having crap in the way in front means you can get to the cams easily from any angle which means you can apply correct torque to the bolts without slipping and stripping them. when you actually need to make adjustments and you take the cam cages out thats what, 20 something bolts. are you really saving time when it takes so much longer per bolt because you cant easily reach it? or when a bolt snaps or strips and you have to remove and replace it? can you even get a torque wrench in there with all that crap in the way?

Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #11
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
my motto is do yourself a favor and make the job as easy as possible so you dont strip bolts or break things or drop things down into the engine. i mean engine bolts, who cares about other bolts. removing the water outlet thing makes putting on and off the cover so much easier. and not having crap in the way in front means you can get to the cams easily from any angle which means you can apply correct torque to the bolts without slipping and stripping them. when you actually need to make adjustments and you take the cam cages out thats what, 20 something bolts. are you really saving time when it takes so much longer per bolt because you cant easily reach it? or when a bolt snaps or strips and you have to remove and replace it? can you even get a torque wrench in there with all that crap in the way?
yes

Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
you need to remove the front engine mounts which means, no. you need to take the fairings off. why you would want to try with them on is beyond me. its like when people leave the radiator on because they dont want to put new fluid in. beyond me.
You don't need to do that. You can wiggle the valve cover off without removing them.

I went ahead put the disconnects. Blew a couple fuses because the person who did it switched colored wires at some points, but it wasn't too bad. Now I just have to tape everything up.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #13
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
You don't need to do that. You can wiggle the valve cover off without removing them.
Easier to just remove the front engine mounts.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #14
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Where do you guys go to buy quick disconnects for his LEDs? Could you provide a link?
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Solunatic
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250 "Jolene"

Quote:
its like when people leave the radiator on because they dont want to put new fluid in. beyond me.
What? I never even considered taking the radiator all the way off. unbolting it and moving it forward, sure. Have always had far more than enough space for tools and everything, and getting the cover off has never been a hassle either.

Perhaps it's my small hands...

I don't know how you'd do it with the fairing on though. Quick disconnects seem like the way to go here.

Edit: Seems I'm late to the game. I really need to remember to read all the posts...
Solunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
Where do you guys go to buy quick disconnects for his LEDs? Could you provide a link?
Got mine from harbor freight. A lot more high quality than the ones at autozone IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solunatic View Post
What? I never even considered taking the radiator all the way off. unbolting it and moving it forward, sure. Have always had far more than enough space for tools and everything, and getting the cover off has never been a hassle either.

Perhaps it's my small hands...

I don't know how you'd do it with the fairing on though. Quick disconnects seem like the way to go here.

Edit: Seems I'm late to the game. I really need to remember to read all the posts...
Yeah, I did go ahead and just make quick disconnects for my LEDS and wire them up. I actually went ahead and rewired the entire LED system so it's completely color coded and water proof.

Plus, my bike totally looks like a bomb now that I have blue, black and red cables instead of normal speaker wire running through out the bike