Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
guy3004
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kyle

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Questionable legality for a purchase?

Hello all,

I'm trying to buy a 2009 Ninja (wwooooohoooo) and the seller is suggesting that when it comes to the title and the sale he can put down a lower sale price to avoid high taxes for me on the sale itself. Obviously I know this is illegal but, in your oppinions, obviously no personal experiences, is this a common practice? is he trying to screw me over? Would I be the one to get in trouble or would he?

Thanks for your input, cant wait to be a part of this community!!
guy3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

What state are you in?
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:27 PM   #3
guy3004
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kyle

Missouri
guy3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Have him put it down as free, then have him mail you the title first before you pay him, then when you get the title register it ASAP and then go pick up the bike without paying him...when he calls the cops tell them that he gave it to you for free and you have the signed title to prove it. Then drive away in your new free bike

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
Have him put it down as free, then have him mail you the title first before you pay him, then when you get the title register it ASAP and then go pick up the bike without paying him...when he calls the cops tell them that he gave it to you for free and you have the signed title to prove it. Then drive away in your new free bike
+1. that will actually work
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I've known people to do this. They do this so that way you the buyer doesn't pay a higher tax on the bike when you register the title under your name. Some will even "gift" the item so the buyer gets the minimum amount of taxes applied to them.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i donno about stealing his bike... sounds like he's doing you a favor. technically speaking he was the one who wrote down what price he sold it as, so if anyone would get in trouble i would think it would be him. plus if the tax man comes to complain you can say you tipped him the extra money for being such a kind person and helping you understand so many things about motorcycling or something like that.

someone did it for me in the past and i really appreciated the lower taxes... i also haven't been visited by my local tax fraud investigator *fingers crossed*

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #8
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

When I bought my bike, the guy left the price and date blank, that way I paid what I wanted on taxes and didn't have to rush to the SOS to title the bike. It's pretty common practice I'd say.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
When I bought my bike, the guy left the price and date blank, that way I paid what I wanted on taxes and didn't have to rush to the SOS to title the bike. It's pretty common practice I'd say.
+1. both bikes i have bought the owner left the price blank. up to you to decide. you can either fill it in as the real buying price, say $3000 and pay $180 in taxes (mi tax 6%) or fill it in for....say $1000 and pay $60 =] up to you?
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

How much is he going to put on it?

I usually put a lower price, this last time I got the ninja she said it was too low (wasnt actually, but becuase it was an 06 and she didnt realize its just a small bike anyways) she made me fax a form to the PO stating that the selling price was what was listed. You might need to see if your state has that form as well. Its called "Affidavit of non-dealer transfer of motor vehicle & boats." I found it on the TDOT (TN dept of Trans) maybe you can find it on your states site. Might as well have him sign it just in case.

In TN, taxes are almost 10%. So if I put down $3000, thats $300 im payin in taxes.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM   #11
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
That's whack, yo!

No way I'd do that as the seller! So you can have legal rights to the bike? Hellz no!

To answer the OP's initial question: Yes...I hear it's a common practice.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #12
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The government needs our money (taxes) to waste in whatever way they see fit. Please pay the full amount so the government can continue the waste without being accountable.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM   #13
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i donno about stealing his bike... sounds like he's doing you a favor. technically speaking he was the one who wrote down what price he sold it as, so if anyone would get in trouble i would think it would be him. plus if the tax man comes to complain you can say you tipped him the extra money for being such a kind person and helping you understand so many things about motorcycling or something like that.

someone did it for me in the past and i really appreciated the lower taxes... i also haven't been visited by my local tax fraud investigator *fingers crossed*
you can't steal something you're getting for free...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
That's whack, yo!

No way I'd do that as the seller! So you can have legal rights to the bike? Hellz no!

To answer the OP's initial question: Yes...I hear it's a common practice.
wack? yo? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
The government needs our money (taxes) to waste in whatever way they see fit. Please pay the full amount so the government can continue the waste without being accountable.
+1

our taxes pay my salary so please pay as much as you can, we appreciate it

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM   #14
kyle98927
Newwwb

Name: Kyle

I appreciate all the input guys, makes sense, he also assured me it was a very common practice. I believe he just wants to make it 150$ on the title and say that was extra for a trade since things traded aren't taxable. Works for me!
kyle98927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

For a buck fiddy on an 09, you might raise some questions. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM   #16
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3004 View Post
Hello all,

I'm trying to buy a 2009 Ninja (wwooooohoooo) and the seller is suggesting that when it comes to the title and the sale he can put down a lower sale price to avoid high taxes for me on the sale itself. Obviously I know this is illegal but, in your oppinions, obviously no personal experiences, is this a common practice? is he trying to screw me over? Would I be the one to get in trouble or would he?

Thanks for your input, cant wait to be a part of this community!!
This is quite common practice in all facets of vehicle sales when it comes to private sellers. If you do pursue this, just make sure that you get a notarized bill of sale. As a matter of fact, make sure you get a notarized bill of sale regardless. If not, the DMV will hit you for the highest value in their book of Bike/auto values (wherever they get it from).
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM   #17
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I do this every time I buy or sell a motorcycle. As long as you make it within the realm of possibility, you won't have a problem (in my experience).

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #18
kyle98927
Newwwb

Name: Kyle

Thanks for all the info. This may not be the right place to ask and if it is I'm sorry but is 2350 for an 09 with over 6000miles on it a bit too much?
kyle98927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #19
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

The DMV doesn't know anything about the condition of the bike so you can declare anything you think is reasonable, that you can get away with. This goes on all the time.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #20
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

This is what we did on my bike, we paid $2400 and the seller put $1500 on the bill of sale for us. However a friend bought a bike (Yamaha Stratoliner) not sure what he paid but the DMV said it was too low and charged taxes on book prices which was way higher than what he actually paid, so I wouldn't lie too much on it.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #21
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Well, here in Georgia they have ad valorum taxes on vehicles....so this wont work. Your gonna pay based on the value of the vehicle.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #22
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle98927 View Post
I appreciate all the input guys, makes sense, he also assured me it was a very common practice. I believe he just wants to make it 150$ on the title and say that was extra for a trade since things traded aren't taxable. Works for me!
Yeah, you might not get away with it for $150. Add a 0 to it and it should be fine. You can explain it as the bike was damaged and you talked him down. They don't care to inspect the bike at the DMV.

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #23
outcast
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

My dad used to do this all the time in texas, but recently they changed the law charge taxes off of either KBB or price you paid which ever is higher. He never got in trouble or had anyone ask any questions about the "price" he paid. Hope this helps
outcast is offline   Reply With Quote