ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 10th, 2020, 04:12 PM   #1
cuggi5
ninjette.org newbie

Name: donell

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

gear shifting

ive had this bike for almost a month now(first one). when i got it...it had about 9200 miles. now its at 10100. ive gotten alot better at shifting but lately it seems like going from first to second theres an issue 3/5 times. its gotten to the point where theres a prettt audible clunk..and most the time the bike jolts forward when goin from 1st to 2nd gear. and then from 2-3 it gives a slight jolt. only time it seems to not do this now is at high speeds and higher gears. i wanted to just think it was me and my inexperience with shifting but it didnt even do this when i wasnt all that good at shifting. im getting worried bcuz the jolting forward almost threw me off the bike once when just pulling off from a stop sign..and then again when actually moving. what causes this?
cuggi5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2020, 04:24 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Does your clutch need adjusting?

Old August 10th, 2020, 04:40 PM   #3
cuggi5
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Does your clutch need adjusting?
ive got no clue lol. im really new to riding. is that a common solution to this issue?

Old August 10th, 2020, 05:15 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Something is very wrong. As CC Cowboy suggested, it seems like you're not getting your clutch disengaged before you shift. One possibility is that the cable is far out of adjustment and when you pull the lever to the bar, it's not disengaging (uncoupling the engine from the transmission).

Putting the transmission into gear when it's behaving like that could damage it.

Here's a page that should be helpful. In particular you can look at how to adjust the clutch cable, but there's a lot of other stuff you might want/need to look at as well.
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Clutch_%26_Transmission

The main how-to page is here: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2020, 05:25 PM   #5
cuggi5
ninjette.org newbie

it also seems like sometimes when ive shifted to 2nd gear...it falls back into neutral...i really wanna say its ME maybe trying to shift to fast to where im making a mistake and thats whats causing it all. like, when im riding and i think and try and concentrate on shifting most of the time it doesnt happen. but its really often at this point

Old August 10th, 2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

If you're idling in neutral and pull the clutch lever to the bar, wait a second or two, and shift into 1st gear, does the bike jerk forward?

Old August 15th, 2020, 09:00 AM   #7
cuggi5
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
If you're idling in neutral and pull the clutch lever to the bar, wait a second or two, and shift into 1st gear, does the bike jerk forward?
nope. from what other riders have told me..this might be the clutch cable needing adjusting.

Old August 15th, 2020, 09:30 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuggi5 View Post
nope. from what other riders have told me..this might be the clutch cable needing adjusting.
Now I'm confused. If the bike goes smoothly into 1st gear without jerking, this is not a sign of needing the cable adjusted.

How far do you then release the lever from being against the bar before the clutch starts engaging and the bike moves forward in 1st?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2020, 07:36 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
What questions are inquiring about is issue with clutch-plates not disengaging fully. Which causes difficulty in shifting because engine is not completely separated from transmission.

Since you say bike doesn't want to lurch forward on its own when you go from neutral to 1st gear at stop, it would appear that your clutch is fully disengaging, therefore no cable-adjustment is required.

To be sure, do Triple Jim's test and determine where along clutch-lever release clutch starts to engage and bike moves forward. 1/4-way released? 1/2-way release? 3/4-way released?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote