ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #1
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Custom headlight fairing..

So I've been looking at stuff I want to do to the lil ninja and I really don't want to do anything performance-wise with the bike. I do, however want to see if I can give the bike something the factory didn't and that is a better looking "nose".

I was looking into the HID projector mod but that left the big, odd looking healight lense still lingering around.

Ideas so far:

-Make "buckets" for recessed projectors
/or/
-Graft a set of factory projector headlights from another bike
/or/
- and this is a big OR, graft a ZX6 nose with the ninjette nose...

The scoop is a pretty straight forward deal.

Any ideas or suggestions would be cool too. I intend to use this thread for ideas, pictures, discussion, brain storming, etc. Let me know what you think...

This is purely to add that unique touch and give me something to do with my hands. I need to stay out of the mechnicals so I don't ruin the bike's commuter status

PS: Anyone have a wrecked but reasonably intact front fairing??
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

fyi,

you can add an area p exhuast system, pull the snorkel, and shim the needles to increase performance SIGNIFICANTLY, while still gettting 50+ MPG

just a thought.....
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
DarC
DUCEATR

I have fast in the stable when I want to go fast I did do the typical first mod "bolt ons" already but this is my farkle commuter bike.

The main point of this project is so I can have something on a bench and not have to tear the bike down and get it done before I can ride again. I ride this to work every day of the week and I'm up to my eyeballs in mechanical work on the RC.

I will also be building my own rear cowl once I get a used rear seat.....

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

okey dokey

looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

good luck
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

You ought to make said 'buckets' for projectors using a race cowl.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #6
DarC
DUCEATR

Using a race cowl would give me a blank slate however it will probably be more $$ to buy and then end up chopping on it. Plus I would want all of the factory mounts, etc. This will probably take me awhile, I just wish there was a drop in splite headlight kit.../gears in head begin to spin

Old May 12th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

OR, some companies (I don't know which at this point) make racing headlight covers to cover the factory cowl to use instead of tape. You could use that, and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #8
DarC
DUCEATR

I have seen the racing covers, that is a possibility however it is second on the list.

I have run across a guy who has been able to graft an R1 onto his F3, and recently did a F4i onto the same bike. Looking at the the ZX6 and 250, it looks to be not that bad of a graft. Ensuring there is enough room behind the screen for the guages is the only real potential issue. If grafted, the only thing that would remain stock is where the fairing bolts to the bike along the bottom/lower sides. The ZX6 windscreen, mirrors, lights, etc would all be used.

Right now I'm mainly looking for steals on wrecked fairings....

Old May 12th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #9
shigs
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Shigs

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
fyi,

you can add an area p exhuast system, pull the snorkel, and shim the needles to increase performance SIGNIFICANTLY, while still gettting 50+ MPG

just a thought.....

Can you describe this further???
shigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #10
DarC
DUCEATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigs View Post
Can you describe this further???
All can be had here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

and talked about here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Old May 12th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #11
DarC
DUCEATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
OR, some companies (I don't know which at this point) make racing headlight covers to cover the factory cowl to use instead of tape. You could use that, and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Magical Racing has one for $60 and it's the best one so far. Either way I think I would still have to mold it onto a stock fairing to get the "made that way look" so I will still need to buy someone's used fairing I have seen quite a few ideas floating around, it's just the lack of the fairing in my hands that is holding up much progress.

So far I like the idea of 07 ish ZX6 headlights. All I would have to do is fill the factory hole in the 250 fairing and cut two holes for the new lights. They have a very sturdy bracket holding the two lights together and it looks fairly easy to build a mount using stand offs.

The more I look at molding a complete ZX6 upper on the more I don't think it would be very conducive to riding. Although I like the laid back windscreen, it might be too low considering the riding position on the 250. Oh well.

If I can't find a decent fairing in the next week or two I'm just going to toss in some projectors and call it a day