ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 28th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Name: Rollo

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r (silver)

This is probably a naive question ...

But, then again, maybe not ... I was wondering if a stock 2010 ninja 250 has more horse power than a stock 2007 ninja 250. If anyone has some specific numbers, I would appreciate that. Thanks ...
Davis937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/4hxja5y

"...the older model makes one more horsepower than the new one. The older model actually makes more peak power than the new model: 27.46 hp (20.48 kW) @ 12,000 rpm for the 2004 compared with 26.4 hp (19.7 kW) @ 11,000 rpm for the 2008 carbureted model."
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2006 Yamati 150cc Scooter

And that was a 2004, without flames. You could probably add another 3 hp on that sweet looking silver 2007 with full flames.

Hope you are loving the bike.

Old April 28th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #4
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis937 View Post
But, then again, maybe not ... I was wondering if a stock 2010 ninja 250 has more horse power than a stock 2007 ninja 250. If anyone has some specific numbers, I would appreciate that. Thanks ...
Pre-gen models are lighter and faster and get better gas mileage with a history of rock-solid reliability. The new-gen is basically the same bike with an updated look, slightly improved suspension and brakes. They did make some "improvements" to the engine so only time will tell how reliable these bikes are.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #5
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post
Pre-gen models are lighter and faster and get better gas mileage with a history of rock-solid reliability. The new-gen is basically the same bike with an updated look, slightly improved suspension and brakes. They did make some "improvements" to the engine so only time will tell how reliable these bikes are.
Don't forget the centerstand comes with the pre-08 bikes
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #6
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10111
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Davis937
ninjette.org member

... thanks, Kelly! So I guess other folks have already been mulling over these kinds of comparisons, huh. Mahalo!

Old April 29th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/4hxja5y

"...the older model makes one more horsepower than the new one. The older model actually makes more peak power than the new model: 27.46 hp (20.48 kW) @ 12,000 rpm for the 2004 compared with 26.4 hp (19.7 kW) @ 11,000 rpm for the 2008 carbureted model."
... thanks, Colin. I've been seeing so many different numbers and there seems to be no real consensus or agreement. Some even talk about rear tire HP (and I'm not quite sure what that means).

Old April 29th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahninja View Post
And that was a 2004, without flames. You could probably add another 3 hp on that sweet looking silver 2007 with full flames.

Hope you are loving the bike.

Hey, Chuck ... silver ninjas rule (especially if they have bright red flames). Thanks for asking ... yes, I am enjoying ... no, make that loving ... my bike more than I anticipated. It's sweet ... take good care and ride safe!

Old April 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey Joon ... you know, I actually had "new generation" envy ... for awhile ... but I'm finding my 2007 is solid, fun, reliable, and need not take a back seat to any of the new generation ninjas ... very pleasantly surprised with the performance of my 2007 ... just love her! Take care and ride safe ...

Old April 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #11
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Don't forget the centerstand comes with the pre-08 bikes
Hey A ... yeah, the 2007 has a lot of little surprised. It's like finding all kinds of prizes in a cracker jack box! Take good care and stay safe ...

Old April 29th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #12
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
I'd say its more than a slight improvement atleast suspension wise, the pre gens I've ridden have felt considerably softer and mushy then the new gen which also has a preload adjustable rear shock giving it better handling characteristics, mid-range has been improved at the cost of a little top end, while adding about 20-30 more pounds making it a bit slower, reliablilty wise I've put 20k miles in two summers on my 09 and its never given me a problem that wasn't my fault, yet...

Quote:
... thanks, Colin. I've been seeing so many different numbers and there seems to be no real consensus or agreement. Some even talk about rear tire HP (and I'm not quite sure what that means).
rear tire hp or bhp (brake horse power) is the amount of hp actually being delivered to the rear wheel and propelling you forward compared to the hp at the crank, which is essentially how much is produced at the engine. these bikes are rated at 32-33 hp at the crank, which translates to 26-27 hp after losing a few a horses in the drivetrain and transfer to the rear wheel.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post

rear tire hp or bhp (brake horse power) is the amount of hp actually being delivered to the rear wheel and propelling you forward compared to the hp at the crank, which is essentially how much is produced at the engine. these bikes are rated at 32-33 hp at the crank, which translates to 26-27 hp after losing a few a horses in the drivetrain and transfer to the rear wheel.
Hey Ronin ... that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to provide an explanation ... take care and ride safe!

Old April 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #14
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Hey Ronin ... that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to provide an explanation ... take care and ride safe!
Actually that's partly wrong. Brake horsepower (bhp or chp) is measured at the crank and has nothing to do with the brakes on the car or bike. That's the number you will typically see advertised by manufacturers. Wheel horsepower (whp) is measured on a dyno and is typically 15-25% lower than bhp due to drivetrain loss.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM   #15
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Actually that's partly wrong. Brake horsepower (bhp or chp) is measured at the crank and has nothing to do with the brakes on the car or bike. That's the number you will typically see advertised by manufacturers. Wheel horsepower (whp) is measured on a dyno and is typically 15-25% lower than bhp due to drivetrain loss.
yea i think you're right just got the acronyms mixed up. who mentioned anything about brakes?
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:37 PM   #16
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
yea i think you're right just got the acronyms mixed up. who mentioned anything about brakes?
The brake is attached to the engine's crankshaft when measuring the engine's hp.