ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 6th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #1
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

"Carb vent hose"

Is it normal for a bit of liquid to come out of the carb vent hose?
It seems clear and doesn't smell. I see it dripping out on to my frame, only because it isn't routed between the battery and air box like the service manual suggests.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Sure its the float bowl vent tube?
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #3
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'll check it out soon.
Gonna drop the plastics and do some tinkering.

The service manual calls it the carb vent hose. I'll find out for sure where it goes when I pull the carbs to pop the caps on the idle mixture screws.

I wonder if there is a reason they did not elongate this hose so if anything drips out it just hits the floor..
If it is routed as the manual suggests, whatever drips out will fall between the air box and the top of the undertail plastic.
It might even dry up before it rolls off the undertail and drips onto the ground. Perhaps why they do it that way. (so you see no leak all together)
I'll dig into it more soon and figure it out.

As it is now mine was just routed out the side of the bike almost and dripping on my frame (why I noticed it), just need to tuck it back where it supposed to go but was wondering if any drips from it were normal. I could see a couple wheelie attempts knocking some fluids out of the bike's vents or something.

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Nothing should be dripping out of it.

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Well, something is! lol
I'll find out more about it soon.

It's like 1 or two drops of clear non smelling liquid. You might not notice it at all if you weren't looking for it.. and it wouldn't leak on to the ground on a properly routed hose. It didn't leak on to the ground on my bike, even though it did leak on to the frame. (few drops?)

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #6
ninja250
You are sleeping

Pictures describe it better than I can.
I see the hose go to the carb but it tucks into a hole between them that I cannot see where it goes until I remove some more plastics.
It looks like a normal thing, I just want to make sure. I'll figure it out when I take the carbs off.

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Is it a drain-off hose for your airbox or gas tank?

Old January 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #8
ninja250
You are sleeping

Coming from the carb, between them to be specific.

Just got some pants today so I'll be itching to go try them out soon. Of course will feel obligated to rip the bike apart and investigate my new found leaky hose though first

Seems like a normal deal. Just want to make sure. I think it could be from trying wheelies, sloshing liquids around. If it's a breather to the bowls that would make sense.. but then the liquid would smell like fuel I think.

Might just be condensation. I have a few ideas.. we'll know soon.

Old January 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #9
ninja250
You are sleeping

Ok the hose is from sloshing liquids around.

I have the carbs off the bike now. If I lean them in a few certain ways I can get fuel to leak from the hose.

Looks like all is good. If anything happens from liquid coming out of here I'll report it. I think most of the time we just don't notice it because of where it is supposed to be tucked. Also if you are very gentle on the bike you may never notice any liquid come from there at all.

I think it's like an overflow or flood hose. You'd probably see fluids come from here if you dropped the bike, which would be a good thing since it would help you get it started again. Most bikes will drop gas if you drop them.

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #10
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

nothing ever leaked out of my carb vent...but i never look to know anyways
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #11
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post

I think it's like an overflow or flood hose. You'd probably see fluids come from here if you dropped the bike, which would be a good thing since it would help you get it started again. Most bikes will drop gas if you drop them.
Float bowl vent, because the gas level is always changing in the bowl. Since you have it apart, check the float settings.
They use to run the vent tube to the e-vap systems. Had rip that crap off the old 900 ninja, line would fill with fluid....... bike would run like crap.