ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1
extremez31
ninjette.org member

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): 94 EX250, 81 GS450

To remove or not to remove??

Hey peeps so I've been lucky enough to keep the forester in the garage and commute everyday with the bike.

Here is a little backstory. My neighbor also commutes daily with his 599. he parks on the street in downtown NYC. the problem is his bike has been knocked down at least once a month by people bumping into the parked bike. Last week he found a honda goldwing on top of it. Someone hit the goldwing which tipped over and used the 599 as a sidestand.

On the way to work this morning while looking for parking I saw a covered bike (nice aprilla cover) laying on its right side.

Now im scared because my bike is in excellent condition, everything looks new. Should I remove the fairings and store them away or keep everything on and remove them when some idiot knocks the bike over??

Am i being paranoid?
extremez31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Parking on the street in NYC (or any other crowded city) certainly carries some risk. I don't know if pulling the fairings fixes the problem though. It might minimize some damage, but it could still ding up the tank, the levers, the exhaust, and in fact if it gets hit in some ways, the parts behind the fairing might be more damaged than they would have been otherwise (cooling system, perhaps other accessories).

I think another tact is to have the commuting bike and the "shiny" bike as two separate bikes. I cringe when I see particularly expensive bikes parked on the side of the street here in SF, knowing how many of them I've also seen tipped over.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #3
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

That's a real dilemma. What about frame sliders but keeping the fairings on? It still wont really solve the issue. Anyway to find another place to park that would allow for more room? Possibly on a nook on the sidewalk out of people's way? As Alex suggested, maybe getting a commuter bike would be worth it as well. Something designed to be rugged and tipped over, like a dualsport.

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
extremez31
ninjette.org member

this was supposed to be the commuter! the more I ride it the more I love it. Sliders aren't a bad idea as long as they dont mount to the motor. Huge issue with frame sliders for the monster is that sliders go through the frame and motor. If the bike falls on the slider it may crack the engine case.

Anyone know where the sliders attach to on a 07? I couldn't convince the wife to let me buy a 3rd bike to commute with.

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I would remove the fairings and store them away until you find a safe and protected spot at your work place; actually, that is what I did with my bike.

Those cagers that knocked down the Honda Goldwing are like the crazy snowbirds that we have here in Florida; watch out, those will be returning to your area soon.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Here you go.. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...liders_are_not

I don't think anybody makes any frame sliders for the EX250. So what I would do is... Leave everything the way is is and just accept the fact that your bike may get knocked over or try to find a better parking spot or remove the fairings or maybe using the center-stand will make it more stable and less likely to be knocked over? Idk.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Buy a busted up set of fairings and run them, save the nice set for when you want to ride a spiffy new-looking bike.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #8
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Those cagers that knocked down the Honda Goldwing are like the crazy snowbirds that we have here in Florida; watch out, those will be returning to your area soon.

Here in FL when cagers knock down a bike and run off we just shoot them. In NYC, they aren't that civilized.

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #9
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I parked in Manhattan for many years:
a crushed flat soda can ( soda cans used to be thicker then) under the kickstand make the bike almost un-tippable.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
solution: Supermoto or dual sport.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #11
extremez31
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
I parked in Manhattan for many years:
a crushed flat soda can ( soda cans used to be thicker then) under the kickstand make the bike almost un-tippable.
Crushed soda cans? its a joke right? i'm tempted to try it but would feel really stupid knocking over my own bike while testing this solution.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #12
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Maybe try putting a hidden video camera on the thing. When someone knocks it over, have your lawyer send them a bill any damages plus $1000 for punitive damages. Its a crime to leave the scene of an accident up there right?

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Arinze
Ceska

Name: Arinze

Motorcycle(s): '11 Ninja 250r(Kami Kaze)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Maybe try putting a hidden video camera on the thing. When someone knocks it over, have your lawyer send them a bill any damages plus $1000 for punitive damages. Its a crime to leave the scene of an accident up there right?
I dont think he is willing to use his 250 as bait bike. I wouldnt be

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #14
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

you cant fit the bike in the garage?

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote