ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #41
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

I cant decide if I want to go with full boots or 3/4 boots. I am afraid and would like the full but I do prefer the convenience of the 3/4 boots.

pretty much on the fence between

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ace-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ted-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-II-Boots.aspx

probably will go full since its cheaper! I know this is stupid but god I am going to look like a weirdo wearing skinny jeans and boots...anyone want to recommend overpants? I think it would be a lot more convenient then having normal riding pants.
SwagenGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #42
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Go with full. Better protection and not that much more money will pay itself off really quickly if you ever get into another crash.

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #43
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I think I might get some real pants, but I am also interested in the kevlar jeans. Any thoughts on them? It seems like they offer skin protection, but have little to know padding. sounds like they might be nice for short trips.

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #44
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagenGTI View Post
I cant decide if I want to go with full boots or 3/4 boots. I am afraid and would like the full but I do prefer the convenience of the 3/4 boots.

pretty much on the fence between

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ace-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ted-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-II-Boots.aspx

probably will go full since its cheaper! I know this is stupid but god I am going to look like a weirdo wearing skinny jeans and boots...anyone want to recommend overpants? I think it would be a lot more convenient then having normal riding pants.
Your line of thought should be to go with the full boots because they offer more protection, not just because they are cheaper.

The gear you put on is not about convenience but to protect yourself. Spend the extra 5 minutes or so to put on your gear rather than dealing with injuries.

I wear skinny jeans with my Sidis all the time. Nobody cares what you look like in gear and you shouldn't, either, as long as you're geared up properly.

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #45
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I know, thats why I said it was stupid

I said that I wanted to go with full because its cheaper...and they are full boots; more shoe for less money.

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #46
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post

I wear skinny jeans with my Sidis all the time. Nobody cares what you look like in gear and you shouldn't, either, as long as you're geared up properly.
My boots/pants combo actually looks super cute together. Somehow the boots kinda look like pumas or something under the pants. And fo' reals, you dress for the crash, not the ride. It doesn't matter what you look like, so long as you're protected.

Quote:
I think I might get some real pants, but I am also interested in the kevlar jeans. Any thoughts on them? It seems like they offer skin protection, but have little to know padding. sounds like they might be nice for short trips.
Even with Kevlar, jeans are just NOT going to protect your skin as much. NOTHING competes with leather's abrasion resistance. I don't know the numbers off hand, and I'm too tired to bother looking them up right now, so bare with the made up figures, but jeans will hold up for something like 20' on asphalt, where as leathers will hold up for 300'. And it's not just your skin you should be worried about. Armour that comes in pants helps protect your bones and all the rest of you that's inside your skin.

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #47
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I dont disagree. As I said, they will probably be purchased along with real pants.

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #48
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I dont disagree. As I said, they will probably be purchased along with real pants.
If you look you can find jeans with CE armour. I think Dragging Jeans has it.

Old February 19th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #49
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

A good pair of kevlar jeans are ok for around town slower speeds as long as you have armor under them, and with jeans you want armor that's strapped onto your body since most kevlar jeans have some room in them. After you figure the cost of a good kevlar jean (not all are created equal, so beware) plus armor you may as well have bought textile pants at least. They offer more protection and you can also get them as an overpant and slide them off when you get where you're going, it literally takes 5 seconds. Textile obviously isn't as good as leather but in the summer time a lot of people wear textile since it usually keeps you cooler, but some days are so hot you'll sweat no matter what. And jeans won't even last 20', you'll be lucky to get 5' with a newer pair if you're sliding. For me I'd rather wear good gear and reduce any possible injury as much as I can, some are willing to compromise safety though so that's your call.

I also find that when I'm wearing all my gear I'm more confident when riding.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #50
rickthefix
Crashing sux

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250, 04 ZX6R, 96 Vulcan EN500, 79 XS650-SF, 80 TS185

What he said!!! K-jeans may be a little better than regular, but armor is best. Even if you're just popping up the road to get milk, accidents can happen when you least expect it. Most accidents happen within 10 miles of home.
rickthefix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #51
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

My commuting gear: race gear on top, since you take it off at the office anyway. Full boots, strap-on KNOX leg armor, Dianese armor shorts, and kevlar jeans over the top. I get to the office, go to the restroom, pull off the armor. Keep a pair of sneakers in my office. 5 minutes after I get there, I just have jeans and sneakers on. If you work someplace casual, you could even take shorts and sandals in the summer.

I'll gladly pay 5 minutes for the protection.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #52
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
My commuting gear: race gear on top, since you take it off at the office anyway. Full boots, strap-on KNOX leg armor, Dianese armor shorts, and kevlar jeans over the top. I get to the office, go to the restroom, pull off the armor. Keep a pair of sneakers in my office. 5 minutes after I get there, I just have jeans and sneakers on. If you work someplace casual, you could even take shorts and sandals in the summer.

I'll gladly pay 5 minutes for the protection.
And if you're a girl (or not, too, I suppose) you can wear a skirt and not even have to go to the restroom to pull off the armour.

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #53
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
And if you're a girl (or not, too, I suppose) you can wear a skirt and not even have to go to the restroom to pull off the armour.
DOOOOOD. I totally need to go find me some skirts!

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #54
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthefix View Post
What he said!!! K-jeans may be a little better than regular, but armor is best. Even if you're just popping up the road to get milk, accidents can happen when you least expect it. Most accidents happen within 10 miles of home.
After I bought a good textile setup I find it nearly impossible to ride in normal clothing anymore but then again its been cold since I got my new gear and its much warm then squid gear. I try not to wear my full leathers much because its a little less convenient or warm(their fully perforated) and I feel Efing invincible in them. With the leathers on my comfort and confidence go through he roof and I ride much faster, and since I already ride to fast so this is a bad thing

It's funny because when I have my textiles on they feel great and I feel safe in them. It isn't untill I put on the racing suit that I realize I had been missing a part of my soul and feel truly one with the bike.

Sooooo good gear = confidence = better riding

Last futzed with by rojoracing53; February 19th, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #55
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I try not to wear my full leathers much because its a little less convenient or warm(their fully perforated) and I feel Efing invincible in them.
FTFY
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #56
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
FTFY
No they are actually made out of a special polymer compound that adapts to its surroundings and promotes camouflage

Thx
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #57
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
No they are actually made out of a special polymer compound that adapts to its surroundings and promotes camouflage

Thx
Your on a motorcycle so you are already invisible. Harry Potter invisibility cloak would be just overkill.

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #58
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

I am pretty sure I remember seeing leather pants that zip over normal pants? Not sure what you'd call those but would seem pretty convenient.

Would they offer the same protection as "normal" leather pants?
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #59
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
I am pretty sure I remember seeing leather pants that zip over normal pants? Not sure what you'd call those but would seem pretty convenient.

Would they offer the same protection as "normal" leather pants?
Leather is good for sliding down the road and avoiding road rash but you also need padding for the landing.

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #60
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Leather is good for sliding down the road and avoiding road rash but you also need padding for the landing.
What do you make of these? http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...overpants.html
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #61
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Good but I would get hip pads as well. Ask me how I know.

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #62
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Leather-C...nts/1/146.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #63
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Name: Suzanne

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Ouch!

You must have great courage to get on a motorcycle without experience on public roads, which will make you a great rider someday soon. You said the MSC doesn't start for a while - Is there a school parking lot nearby? I bought a brand new Ninja and had no experience 3 years ago. I even took the course before buying, but was still very shaky. I spent much time in a nearby school parking lot to practice all the needed skills to react to an emergency (i.e. slamming on the brakes without locking them up, practice counter steering and making tight turns with turning your head way around to look at where you want to go, getting up to 35mph and imagine having to counter steer around road kill - or just react quickly, etc.)

You can also go on Youtube and watch training videos. This will help tremendously before you go to school because you will at least have an idea of what will be taught, because I didn't even know what counter steering was before school and was a little lost at first. - and (on "Ride like a Pro" videos) I learned some things I didn't learn in school - like how to lay your bike down and skid into whatever has presented itself in front of you, instead of hitting it broad side and flying through the air and how to react to unexpected gravel in the road.

Also, one thing that has helped me is imagine everything that can happen, happening and how to react so you won't be surprised or panic. This is taught in school, but I didn't implement it till I was coming to a railroad crossing just as the lights went off and the train blew his horn. Even though the train was a ways off, it scared the crap out me and I panicked and almost lost control of my bike. Thank God those early years are over. It seemed to take me a good year to feel confident or more natural in response time. Take it slow and you'll do fine.

One more thing, if you're budget is tight or don't want to buy online for something that you want to make sure it fits right, I have bought much great condition used stuff on ebay. I like the idea of already being somewhat broke in, and (learned this from a experienced shoe salesmen are REI - my son) always buy shoes one size bigger than you are measured for. If too big, wear thick socks - better to have good circulation than cramped.
Ninjamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #64
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Hmmm, does any one know of good over pants that fit smaller people? I have a 30-32 waist, but a 28 inseam...right now I am wearing husky boys pants (30x26) and they are the best fitting pants I have ever had. I need to look into little kid gear.

Ninjamomma - Yeah I didnt even think about it. I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to ride and I have always driven manual transmission cars so getting the bike started was not a problem. I find downshifting/rev matching quite easy as well but videos can't teach you much about how to turn properly I didnt think it would be too hard to teach my self as long as I kept it slow. The night I got it home (2 am) I took it for a ride (first time riding) and almost ate it. Good thing it was so late otherwise I would have kept at it for more than a couple of minutes. The next day or so I started off in a neighborhood and got pretty confident, then went down the street to another neighborhood that had nice twisties...that was my mistake. I should have started off in a school parking lot (which I did, but I made one turn and went into the neighborhood) and stayed there for a while.

It sucks that I fell but to be honest, I am glad it happened. It was a good kick to the face that I needed. The day before I was considering riding to my friends house to help him with his car; probably a 20 minute ride in unfamiliar territory. The only thing that stopped me from doing so was that it would be late (12 am) when I would get done and it was really cold. I am so glad that I didnt do it because I would have been too far from my house and it was freezing. Had I not fallen on Sunday, I probably would be making small trips and probably would be dead or in a hospital by now.

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #65
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I have the REV'IT Axis pants (overpants) and they have a nice strap at the bottom of the pant legs to cinch it tight and keep them from dragging everywhere. I assume this is probably common for REV'IT so check it out. I have a 28" inseam and despite the pants being slightly long, the velcro strap makes it not a problem at all.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #66
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
I would like to get some boots, or at least riding shoes (that offer some protection). The thing is, I would like to ride as often as I can (ie commuting) but standard riding boots are a pain. Is there anything out there that offers protection and is still use able when not riding?
No they don't

Go for full boots

Quote:
Just curious but can you ride a bike with any skill(no just balancing and pedaling, I mean real riding) or are you new to two wheels?
You can learn how to countersteer on a bicycle, if you think you're going to make a balls of it then practising on a push-bike will hurt a lot less than dropping a motorbike again...

Quote:
They'll be ok for city riding but have no armour.

Proper bike leathers are the best bet, then armoured textile gear, then kevlar jeans
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #67
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I have the REV'IT Axis pants (overpants) and they have a nice strap at the bottom of the pant legs to cinch it tight and keep them from dragging everywhere. I assume this is probably common for REV'IT so check it out. I have a 28" inseam and despite the pants being slightly long, the velcro strap makes it not a problem at all.
Sweet. I like those a lot. I am assuming you are using small short? What is your waist size? (if you don't mind me asking). How are the knee pads do they stay in place?

Old February 19th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #68
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Hmmm, does any one know of good over pants that fit smaller people? I have a 30-32 waist, but a 28 inseam...right now I am wearing husky boys pants (30x26) and they are the best fitting pants I have ever had. I need to look into little kid gear.
Only a few manufacturers of protective gear offer normal, long and short length of the same chest or waist size, such as FirstGear, Tourmaster, Klim, Aerostich and Motoport.

Check good quality pre-owned gear here, if money is short:

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Last futzed with by Motofool; February 22nd, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #69
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Sweet. I like those a lot. I am assuming you are using small short? What is your waist size? (if you don't mind me asking). How are the knee pads do they stay in place?
I went with the x-small actually. I'm normally a 28" waist size for jeans and I wanted to make sure the gear was snug enough though I probably could've been ok with the the small short. If you do plan on using them as overpants, remember to take into account the extra bulk of whatever you're wearing underneath.

I took out the knee armor and use my forcefield strap-on knee armor underneath the pants to guarantee that I have knee armor that stays in place.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #70
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I forgot before - glad you are ok. And it's great that you are ready to get back on. When I went down I waited 6 weeks to get back on a bike. Also good job on looking into some more protective gear.

It was a knee-jerk reaction on the helmet comment I made. Whenever a helmet gets some damage I get really scared for myself/them/you. I didn't want anyone to not at least mention it - so I did.

I think it's great that you can have a company check a helmet (via x-ray, etc.?). If I had known that I wouldn't have destroyed my $300 Shoei helmet after I crashed (visor got some damage, but rest did not). I would have sent it to them to make sure I wasn't trashing a still useable helmet. I feel pretty dumb for not knowing you could do that. Maybe your helmet is still good - check it out.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #71
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I went with the x-small actually. I'm normally a 28" waist size for jeans and I wanted to make sure the gear was snug enough though I probably could've been ok with the the small short. If you do plan on using them as overpants, remember to take into account the extra bulk of whatever you're wearing underneath.

I took out the knee armor and use my forcefield strap-on knee armor underneath the pants to guarantee that I have knee armor that stays in place.
I am usually going to be wearing skinny jeans so I doubt I will need to go too much bigger. I will contact revit and see what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I forgot before - glad you are ok. And it's great that you are ready to get back on. When I went down I waited 6 weeks to get back on a bike. Also good job on looking into some more protective gear.

It was a knee-jerk reaction on the helmet comment I made. Whenever a helmet gets some damage I get really scared for myself/them/you. I didn't want anyone to not at least mention it - so I did.

I think it's great that you can have a company check a helmet (via x-ray, etc.?). If I had known that I wouldn't have destroyed my $300 Shoei helmet after I crashed (visor got some damage, but rest did not). I would have sent it to them to make sure I wasn't trashing a still useable helmet. I feel pretty dumb for not knowing you could do that. Maybe your helmet is still good - check it out.
An Oneal rep got back to me and said that the helmet could be compromised; they said to pretty much look at the inner liner and use my own judgement.

Old February 20th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #72
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
An Oneal rep got back to me and said that the helmet could be compromised; they said to pretty much look at the inner liner and use my own judgement.
Wow, that's strange advice. But I have to say, you won't get any motorcycle company giving a clean bill of health to a helmet that has made an impact in a crash. I contacted Bell and Shoei after I had one of each go down, and their responses were the same: they would be happy to inspect it if I sent it in, but that part of the 'inspection' is getting a detailed story of the incident; if the incident involved the helmet impacting the ground during a crash, then they would not recommend wearing it anymore. The reason is that there is only one way to guarantee that the EPS hasn't been compromised: cutting open the helmet and looking. Since that obviously won't do, they do their best to look for signs of damage, but also take the narrative into account to use their experience and judgment.

It's a bummer, but your head is worth it.

Old February 20th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #73
nautica
Gixxer Powered

I thought I saw somewhere one of the helmet companies uses an x-ray type of machine to check them.

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #74
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Yeah they said they cant inspect due to liability reasons. It makes sense :/

Old February 20th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #75
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

It's your effing head. I wouldn't risk it.

Old February 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #76
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I will be getting a new helmet for sure, not because I think its damaged, but more because it doesnt fit properly anyways. If it wasnt damaged I would return it. But just for thought....is there a chance that it wasnt damaged? My head was kind of loose in there so wouldnt the EPS liner not work properly?

Like I said, I will hopefully (depending on this dam snow storm that is coming tomorrow) make a trip to the next town over and see if I can find a better fitting helmet.

Old February 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #77
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Did you get it from cycle gear? They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee

Old February 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #78
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I got it off amazon. Would have gotten it from motorcycle superstore but they were out of stock.

I think I am going to go with shogun frame sliders. Where is it cheapest? Cheapest I have found so far is $170. I found the full crash kit (frame, bar and spools) for $195, but I think I am going to stick with the stock bar ends since shoguns arent weighted. I heard the shogun spools werent that great either, any recommendations?

Old February 21st, 2013, 04:15 AM   #79
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Quote:
I will be getting a new helmet for sure, not because I think its damaged, but more because it doesnt fit properly anyways. If it wasnt damaged I would return it. But just for thought....is there a chance that it wasnt damaged? My head was kind of loose in there so wouldnt the EPS liner not work properly?
There's always that chance but you never know and as said, it's your head so I wouldn't even think twice about it, but that's me.

Quote:
I think I am going to go with shogun frame sliders. Where is it cheapest? Cheapest I have found so far is $170. I found the full crash kit (frame, bar and spools) for $195, but I think I am going to stick with the stock bar ends since shoguns arent weighted. I heard the shogun spools werent that great either, any recommendations?
As for frame sliders people seem to be split on how they feel about them. They're good for low speed spills or driveway tip overs but if they slide at a decent rate of speed there's a chance they could do more damage then if you didn't have them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:09 AM   #80
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Well, with a high speed slide, most likely the bike is going to be f**ked either way amIright?

I want them mostly to protect my other fairing

Also, what is the empty hole here? The one above the clutch lever pivot bolt...

And what are the torque specs on the lever bolts? Or do I just get them fairly tight?