Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

How useful are fairings? Really.

Hey all.

I just had a ponderance (yeah, it's a verb. You like?). Anyway. I've seen the naked bikes, and naked Ninja's. I'm just wondering, how useful are fairings? I dig the look of the naked bike, but I've been assuming that the fairings make it more aerodynamic and therefore have more useful power and mileage. But it's just donned on me that my assumptions are OFTEN wrong.

So if anyone rode for any length of time without fairings, can you comment on what, if anything you noticed different. I'm talking either just no lower/side cowlings, OR no side, AND no upper/front (windshield piece) cowling.

Though I don't think I'd want to run without the front, I like my touring wind screen too much. It lets me keep my visor up until about 45mph.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:16 AM   #2
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Well when it’s raining all that gets wet is my shoulders, helmet and the toes of my boots except when stopped. On a naked bike everything gets wet.

Steve

Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:03 AM   #3
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Well when it’s raining all that gets wet is my shoulders, helmet and the toes of my boots except when stopped. On a naked bike everything gets wet.

Steve
On my daily work commute Im always crouching down if I get a little cold. The high speed wind goes up and over my helment and I'm much much warmer. Definitely a difference but u gatta crouch to take advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device
dimeified is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:09 AM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I've heard naked bikes have less turbulance around the rider. I rode around my block without the side fairing and windscreen a few times, maybe 25-30mph, and didn't notice anything different.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
You will not notice anything below 30 mph then at 55 you will start to FEEL the wind . After 100 the fairing makes a big difference in speed or the power it takes to maintain that speed. As for riding or touring riding without a fairing on the highways is hard and dangerous because of flying bugs and rocks. Plus the wind makes you tired.

The fairing of our bikes are not that effective.Looks mostly . (good looks IMO) Actually a motorcycle has as much of a drag coefficient as an Hummer. But with out a fairing a 250 ninja would loose at least 3-5 mph top speed .
I have modified my fairings for land speed racing .The rear fairing is the most effective thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxton June 46.jpg (132.2 KB, 34 views)
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

I find that without the lower fairings, my jeans get blown around in the wind alot... which is annoying.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I can't comment directly on the Ninja 250 without fairings, or other faired bikes for that matter. I can, however, at least tell you the differences I have noticed between my 250 and my wife's naked TU250X.

Both bikes are pretty much even until about 35 mph at which point I really need to put my face-shield down on my wife's bike, but I can easily ride with the shield up on my Ninja until around 45, maybe even 50 mph.

With regards to wind, it becomes very noticeable on my wife's at 60 mph. Not to the point of making you hold on for dear life, but you notice yourself holding on. Combine that with a tank that doesn't allow you to hold on with your legs, and I could see it getting tiring after an hour or so at constant high speeds for long distances.

As far as rain, like SteveL said, you won't really notice it on a faired bike at speed, other than a bit on your shoulders and helmet. On a naked bike you will get soaked. I don't have first hand experience of this, but my friend has said it sucks riding his Bonnie in the rain.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Think about low siding without fairings.....I low sided and my fairings kept anything behind them from being damaged......plus they are so so pretty
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #9
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I've ridden both naked bikes and bikes with full fairings. My Ninja 250s fairings are almost entirely cosmetic, compared to "real" fairings. With a really tall windscreen and good fairings I've riden through downpours without even getting seriously damp. On a naked bike you get REALLY WET.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #10
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I've ridden a few dual sports in my day, they get a lot more windy at higher speeds and don't feel as "smooth" at higher speeds I don't really know how to explain it. Also maybe due to the nakedness or low weight of the bike you get blown around a lot more from crosswinds
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
I've ridden a few dual sports in my day, they get a lot more windy at higher speeds and don't feel as "smooth" at higher speeds I don't really know how to explain it. Also maybe due to the nakedness or low weight of the bike you get blown around a lot more from crosswinds
I gotta say that compared to my naked bikes my Ninja 250 presents itself to a cross wind like a barn door. It is probably the most wind-suseptable bike I've ever ridden. While it's not a problem in normal gusts, a stiff wind can easily blow you off your line or make you feel like the bike is being blown out from under you.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I just came back from a 1200mi trip, which happened to coincide with Bike Week at Laconia. I was literally surrounded by motorcycles of every description coming and going. I rode from Maine to Central NY via NH and Vermont(Beautiful trip) At no point did I have a problem keeping up with traffic. Since motorcycles were most of the traffic, I simply merged in with them.I did get a few looks but that was OK. A guy on a Victory got along side and accelerated hard. I dropped down to fourth gear and gave a twist---was right next to him in a flash. We pulled into a rest area and I got a lot of questions. The consensus was that 250s don't do that--whatever "that" is. I told then that it was a stock machine except that it has a 15T Sprocket instead of the stock 14T. I also have a ZG Touring windshield, and I moved my turn signals back to accomodate my saddle bags. Makes a great pocket sport touring bike. The fairings keep you and the bike cleaner, and help in the 70-80mph range in reference to stability ( am not up on the vocabulary here--the bike feels more stable, feels less overreactive? ) I'll let you guys and gals figure that one out. The consensus was that the Ninja 250--all of them, are the fastest 250s on the planet. Of course, for those of us on this forum, this is not earth shattering news. In my case, a lot of bikers at that rest stop and others, got an education. It's not the size of the bike that matters; It's the size of the commitment. An afterthought: What got everybody's attention was the upright riding position. "It's not a crotch rocket---looks like one, behaves like one, but isn't one" (That made the biggest impression on me)
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #13
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I just came back from a 1200mi trip, which happened to coincide with Bike Week at Laconia. I was literally surrounded by motorcycles of every description coming and going. I rode from Maine to Central NY via NH and Vermont(Beautiful trip) At no point did I have a problem keeping up with traffic. Since motorcycles were most of the traffic, I simply merged in with them.I did get a few looks but that was OK. A guy on a Victory got along side and accelerated hard. I dropped down to fourth gear and gave a twist---was right next to him in a flash. We pulled into a rest area and I got a lot of questions. The consensus was that 250s don't do that--whatever "that" is. I told then that it was a stock machine except that it has a 15T Sprocket instead of the stock 14T. I also have a ZG Touring windshield, and I moved my turn signals back to accomodate my saddle bags. Makes a great pocket sport touring bike. The fairings keep you and the bike cleaner, and help in the 70-80mph range in reference to stability ( am not up on the vocabulary here--the bike feels more stable, feels less overreactive? ) I'll let you guys and gals figure that one out. The consensus was that the Ninja 250--all of them, are the fastest 250s on the planet. Of course, for those of us on this forum, this is not earth shattering news. In my case, a lot of bikers at that rest stop and others, got an education. It's not the size of the bike that matters; It's the size of the commitment. An afterthought: What got everybody's attention was the upright riding position. "It's not a crotch rocket---looks like one, behaves like one, but isn't one" (That made the biggest impression on me)
Very cool

I rode with a group ranging from my 250 to a 1400.....did just fine .....as you say...it's the commitment!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #14
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

So it sounds like a Ninjette converted to a Cafe Racer would actually be a lot of fun if it were just used around town in the sun.

My co-workers been looking for a bike to convert to a Cafe Racer, but he's a little guy and he hates the old bikes. But he likes everything about the Ninjette except that it's not a cafe racer, but I've found him a few converted online, and I've almost got him convinced.

Old June 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #15
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
My co-workers been looking for a bike to convert to a Cafe Racer, but he's a little guy and he hates the old bikes. But he likes everything about the Ninjette except that it's not a cafe racer, but I've found him a few converted online, and I've almost got him convinced.

He likes cafe racers but doesn't like old bikes? How does that work?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #16
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Lol, yeah, I know. He thinks all older bikes vibrate a lot, and have terrible acceleration and handling characteristics. Especially the ones in his size range. This is my first bike, I've never so much as touched an older bike than 2009 so I can't really argue.

I also have a thing for streetfighter / RatBikes. Which is kinda similar. But since I ride year round, and largely tour, I totally don't think it's the way to go for me.

Old June 29th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #17
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

My old GS500 didn't have a fairing. Once it got cold up in IL, I was freezing on the bike. I purchased a cruising windscreen, a BIG hunk of Acrylic. Needless to say after that, the only thing wind touched were my feet. Everything else was warm. So I refuse to own a bike without some kind of wind protection.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #18
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

So is it pretty much just the wind screen screen that does all the work?

Old June 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #19
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
So is it pretty much just the wind screen screen that does all the work?
Not really. A truly faired bike provides all kinds of wind protection...from your legs all the way up to your head (although, on the SS bikes, the seating position helps).
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I look at the Ninja as a modern cafe racer. My 750 Dunstall Norton was not as fast as the Ninja. In the late 60s you were hot stuff if your bike could do 100mph
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #21
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
My Ninja 250s fairings are almost entirely cosmetic, compared to "real" fairings.
My experience as well: a large touring fairing gives you some half-decent weather protection at speed, but the 250r's tiny windscreen isn't much use in bad weather.

Old June 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
My experience as well: a large touring fairing gives you some half-decent weather protection at speed, but the 250r's tiny windscreen isn't much use in bad weather.
I don't know, it does a good job keeping my crotch dry.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #23
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Lol, I put on the ZG touring wind screen and it made quite the difference. Not in the crotch though.