ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 9th, 2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Chloebelle
Meowtercyclist

Name: Chloe

Motorcycle(s): Harumi, 2007 EX250F

"Harumi" Updates and Concerns

Hi all! It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I'm slowly getting back into riding after multiple... Issues.

Late last year while riding to work, she was struggling hard to react to throttle (sputtering, intermittent power jumps), and then when she finally started to "wake up"... The damn chain hopped off and wrecked the tension adjusters.

So, recent work done:
-New chain and sprockets (actually managed myself, though a bit of a pain)
-Carbs cleaned and valves adjusted by a local shop (they were highly recommended by a friend, and Harumi definitely runs better now)

At present, I'm in need of a new front brake rotor, and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to get one, and what make/model. Aside from used and aftermarket stuff on eBay, I'm not finding a lot of info. I'm just looking for a decent OEM replacement, nothing to high-performance as I'm just a daily rider, and not into racing/GOTTAGOFAST. :P

Also: She's still having issues with losing power at high throttle, and I'm struggling to get her up over 40mph. She has an aftermarket air filter and box (K&N pod filter, like that when I got her), and the shop mentioned it may be due to the carbs not being properly jetted. Were there any other potential causes of this or cheap fixes? I'm not against switching her back to an OEM filter/airbox setup. A coworker who rides mentioned it may be a fuel delivery issue (clogged petcock or something)?

I'm kinda at a loss here and knowing what the best solution for either of these issues is. @__@
Chloebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

If it's not going over 40 mph, it's a pretty significant problem. My guess is one of the cylinders isn't providing any power at all. You can confirm by pointing a laser temp at both front exhaust ports after it's been running for awhile to see if one's much warmer than the other. Looks like Amazon isn't selling the exact same cheap one I picked up a few years ago, but this one looks close.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Chloebelle
Meowtercyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If it's not going over 40 mph, it's a pretty significant problem. My guess is one of the cylinders isn't providing any power at all. You can confirm by pointing a laser temp at both front exhaust ports after it's been running for awhile to see if one's much warmer than the other. Looks like Amazon isn't selling the exact same cheap one I picked up a few years ago, but this one looks close.
I'll definitely look into that! To clarify a bit, I CAN get her up past that, but she struggles to maintain speed as too much throttle seems to kill any power she has (revs drop significantly). I attempted the freeway the other day and got her up to 60, but it took a bit and she struggled at the top end.

These issues weren't as bad (or perhaps just not as noticeable) before I swapped out the sprockets, but the rear ended up being a different size meant to give more top-end speed... And 'top-end' is where she struggles. Might have to swap that back out for a larger one... (it was recommended by a friend, and I failed to realize the size difference until it was too late... OOPS).

Old March 9th, 2020, 10:25 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Stumbling and struggling at high-end with large throttle-openings isn’t due to improper jets, but clogged carbs. Do search for “clean carbs ducatiman” to see numerous other bikes with similar issues (clogged carbs from sitting more than 3-months). Solution is to have them restored to factory fresh clean.

BTW - good to have you back!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Chloebelle
Meowtercyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Stumbling and struggling at high-end with large throttle-openings isn’t due to improper jets, but clogged carbs. Do search for “clean carbs ducatiman” to see numerous other bikes with similar issues (clogged carbs from sitting more than 3-months). Solution is to have them restored to factory fresh clean.

BTW - good to have you back!
So, what your saying is... the local "reputable" shop ripped me off and did a **** job? Wonderful... -__-

Hell, at this point I'll just try de-gunking via Seafoam. Worked last time... Well, before the chain hopped of and she had to sit for a few more months.

My next big spend for the bike needs to be front brakes (pads+rotor). Just need to figure out what rotor to get for her.

Old March 12th, 2020, 08:58 PM   #6
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
We had my hubby's bike in a local shop, and they couldn't clean the carb for crap, either. Took it to a local guy who had a hobby cleaning them and he got it right first time. Go figure.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2020, 06:41 AM   #7
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
The old man type were brought up *needing* to learn and understand carbs.

The younger "FI generation" maybe not so motivated.

This old man here currently working on a 47 year old Keihin carbset from 1973 Honda 750 Supersport, returning to fully functional after neglect and abuse.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2020, 06:49 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post
So, what your saying is... the local "reputable" shop ripped me off and did a **** job? Wonderful... -__-

Hell, at this point I'll just try de-gunking via Seafoam. Worked last time... Well, before the chain hopped of and she had to sit for a few more months.

My next big spend for the bike needs to be front brakes (pads+rotor). Just need to figure out what rotor to get for her.
It's worth a shot, but I'd try Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) instead of Seafoam.

A better product, and stronger cleaner, IMO.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2020, 07:01 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Hi all! It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I'm slowly getting back into riding after multiple... Issues.

Late last year while riding to work, she was struggling hard to react to throttle (sputtering, intermittent power jumps), and then when she finally started to "wake up"... The damn chain hopped off and wrecked the tension adjusters.

So, recent work done:
-New chain and sprockets (actually managed myself, though a bit of a pain)
-Carbs cleaned and valves adjusted by a local shop (they were highly recommended by a friend, and Harumi definitely runs better now)

At present, I'm in need of a new front brake rotor, and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to get one, and what make/model. Aside from used and aftermarket stuff on eBay, I'm not finding a lot of info. I'm just looking for a decent OEM replacement, nothing to high-performance as I'm just a daily rider, and not into racing/GOTTAGOFAST. :P

Also: She's still having issues with losing power at high throttle, and I'm struggling to get her up over 40mph. She has an aftermarket air filter and box (K&N pod filter, like that when I got her), and the shop mentioned it may be due to the carbs not being properly jetted. Were there any other potential causes of this or cheap fixes? I'm not against switching her back to an OEM filter/airbox setup. A coworker who rides mentioned it may be a fuel delivery issue (clogged petcock or something)?

I'm kinda at a loss here and knowing what the best solution for either of these issues is. @__@
Sorry to hear you are still having problems after trusting your cycle to a respected shop.

Don't these "expert" shops take the cycles for a ride to see if they operate correctly? What kind of "professional" mechanic doesn't go for a test ride after major repairs?

It sounds like the carbs are not completely clean or adjusted properly. The jetting should be fine even with that filter, and it should pull all the way to redline and top speed if everything is correct. The petcock should be checked for flow (inside of the tank checked for debris as well), and also checked that all the lines are connected correctly.

Your gearing change isn't making it run poorly. It may decrease the acceleration somewhat, but it isn't going to make it run poorly, not rev completely, or not reach highway speeds.

I would take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it right - and test it before they tell you it's fixed.

Riding it in this condition is too dangerous.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:07 PM   #10
Chloebelle
Meowtercyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Sorry to hear you are still having problems after trusting your cycle to a respected shop.

Don't these "expert" shops take the cycles for a ride to see if they operate correctly? What kind of "professional" mechanic doesn't go for a test ride after major repairs?

It sounds like the carbs are not completely clean or adjusted properly. The jetting should be fine even with that filter, and it should pull all the way to redline and top speed if everything is correct. The petcock should be checked for flow (inside of the tank checked for debris as well), and also checked that all the lines are connected correctly.

Your gearing change isn't making it run poorly. It may decrease the acceleration somewhat, but it isn't going to make it run poorly, not rev completely, or not reach highway speeds.

I would take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it right - and test it before they tell you it's fixed.

Riding it in this condition is too dangerous.
I just may do that...

It was actually an older gentleman who runs the shop, and they did in fact fail to test ride... Or they would have noticed that it couldn't shift into gear and had that fixed BEFORE I showed up.

Some updates: I found that I can still accelerate up to even freeway speeds, it's just that there's a weird "dead zone" in the throttle. When I pull past it she starts getting power again. O_o

I'll try and clean/replace the petcock setup in addition to checking the temperature of the cylinders as Alex suggested.

Old March 16th, 2020, 07:06 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I just may do that...

It was actually an older gentleman who runs the shop, and they did in fact fail to test ride... Or they would have noticed that it couldn't shift into gear and had that fixed BEFORE I showed up.

Some updates: I found that I can still accelerate up to even freeway speeds, it's just that there's a weird "dead zone" in the throttle. When I pull past it she starts getting power again. O_o

I'll try and clean/replace the petcock setup in addition to checking the temperature of the cylinders as Alex suggested.
That still suggests a carb issue.

A problem with the petcock or screens/filters usually shows up as a shutdown (for lack of fuel) after some run-time. After waiting a bit the engine will run again as the floatbowls refill (slowly).

You shouldn't experience a big "flat spot" that you need to get past. The Ninja's mid-throttle mixture is typically lean, but it should still run decent. Adding shims to the needles to raise them and richen the midrange is the typical easy fix. That is more likely to be needed if you go to a less restrictive air filter - so you may benefit from it.

When you pay a pro to get your cycle running right they should find and correct major running issues before delivering the cycle.

After service your cycle should have run like new - if everything was done correctly.