ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250r

Bike hard to start after washing and then bogging down. All good now but ...

Hey guys. Just wanted to see why this happened. I washed my 250 today for the first time and I used a sprayer with low pressure but when I went to go start the bike like 3 hours later the bike wouldn't start at first, and then I had to give it some throttle to get it to start. After it started it was idling really low and the choke hardly helped. I then tried to get on it and ride down the street to see if it would help but it just didn't want to go and I was giving it some good amount of throttle. I pulled over and put the choke on and revved it for a good minute or two at about 3k. I then got on it and still was bogging down and then all of a sudden it kicked in and started running like normal again.

It is fine now, but I was just wondering if this happens often after washing and if it was normal. Also, why does this happen?
2fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You probably got some water into some place where it doesn't belong. Probably no big deal now if you're bike is working fine. That water probably evaporated out. You have be very careful using any sort of spray when washing. I basically put my hose on pretty much a mist setting just to wet it. Any dirt comes off when I wash it with a big wet microfibre mitt. As soon as you finish washing it, wipe it down and go for a ride to help evaporate any water that may have gotten into the wrong places.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 05:59 AM   #3
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Hey guys. Did the same thing this morning until it was warmed up. Maybe all the water hasn't evaporated yet? Is running fine now after it got going.

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:16 AM   #4
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Plug the exhaust with an exhaust plug when you wash it.
If you squirt water in the exhaust can it will do that, and it tends to stink a bit like burning metal too the next time you go riding.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:20 AM   #5
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Plug the exhaust with an exhaust plug when you wash it.
If you squirt water in the exhaust can it will do that, and it tends to stink a bit like burning metal too the next time you go riding.
Ok thank you. You think this is the issue? How long does the water usually stay in there for?

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:48 AM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fiddy View Post
Ok thank you. You think this is the issue? How long does the water usually stay in there for?
There is a small drain hole in the bottom of the stock exhaust that allows condensation and water to drain out. If you ride the bike normally and get the bike hot enough the little bit of moisture inside the exhaust will evaporate. Check to make sure you did not get a bunch of water under the passenger seat. Water does have a tendency to run down near the air intake. Just to be sure, pull the air filter to make sure the airbox is dry.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:07 AM   #7
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
There is a small drain hole in the bottom of the stock exhaust that allows condensation and water to drain out. If you ride the bike normally and get the bike hot enough the little bit of moisture inside the exhaust will evaporate. Check to make sure you did not get a bunch of water under the passenger seat. Water does have a tendency to run down near the air intake. Just to be sure, pull the air filter to make sure the airbox is dry.
Thanks. Now what if the airbox is wet? Will this also evaporate after running it?

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Thanks. Now what if the airbox is wet? Will this also evaporate after running it?
Kawasaki says to take out the element and clean it in high flash-point solvents any time you ride in the rain, so that may apply to getting water in there by other means too.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:39 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
It can evaporate. It all depends on how wet it is and the temp outside. The airbox has a drain as well so, any large amounts of oil or water can drain over time. Opening up the airbox to inspect the filter will allow you to see if the filter is wet and if the air box is dry without condensation on the walls. If the filter is wet with water, take it out, clean it, dry it, and re-oil it. If the walls in the airbox so signs of condensation, stuff a clean dry towel inside to dry it and remove any debris if necessary.

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #10
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Why does my bike not run after washing / getting wet?

Ok, so my 2010 Ninja 250r runs great normally. The first time I went to wash it I made sure that I was very gentle and didn't spray with too much pressure. Well, when I went to go start it up a couple hours later it hardly started up, and would rev REALLY low and when I gave it gas would not get past 3 and a half rpm. The bike would just die.

The choke would not do anything but make it worse. After letting it run for an hour or two I would take it out and the thing did not want to go. It would rev to 3 and a half and would die out. I played around with it for a while and all of a sudden it got it's power back and was running normally. It had it's moments that day where it would go back to being finicky but finally returned to normal.

The next time, the bike was out in the rain and I went to go ride it after and the bike did the same thing.

Does anyone else have this issue? Why would this bike do this by just getting wet.

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

I've never had this on my bike, but have experienced it on a car. For me it was water getting into my distributor - which I'm sure has a different name in the US. It was causing one of my spark plugs to not fire (on a 4 cylinder car). It manifested itself as not not revving beyond about 2K, and sounding rough. Once the car warmed up the water would evaporate and then it would be ok again. WD40 may help.

The distributor is the thing where the spark plug cables attach to on the 'other' end.

You may want to check that your plugs are in tight enough, the spark plug cables are all on tight and there's no way for water to get into your carbs.

You can also get tools that you hold against your spark plug cables that will show you if it's sparking ok. Does it sound like it's missing (should run rough)?
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #12
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Might be possible that water is getting into the air intake and then into the engine itself. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pipe in soon, but that's just a guess from me.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

It's also possible that you're getting water in your gas. When I left my bike out in some really heavy rain, a substantial amount of water ended up in my gas tank. At first, my bike started normally enough for a cold day, but after riding it to school and back and getting the water thoroughly worked into the carbs, it started bogging really badly when I tried to accelerate, and there was enough water in there to prevent it from starting at all the next day.

After a full day of frustrated trouble shooting, I ended up having to drain all of the gas from both the tank and the carburetor in order to start it again, since I had ended up with literally a few cups of water in there. So now I make a specific point to at least cover the gas cap when it rains, since it's obviously no where near an airtight seal. Maybe you're just getting enough water in your gas tank so that it's effecting your initial ride, but not enough that it can't evaporate before rendering your bike completely useless?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #14
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

I pressure wash my bike all the time and never experinced this. But Then again, ALL my electrical connections were made waterproof/resistant.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #15
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

You had this problem one time before. No?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74871

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #16
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
You had this problem one time before. No?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74871
Yes, actually forgot that I posted this. Just trying to figure out if there is an easy fix for this or if anyone else was having this issue.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM   #17
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

What mods have you done? Did you buy the bike new?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM   #18
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
What mods have you done? Did you buy the bike new?
I don't have any mods done to the bike. Also, bought the bike brand new.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #19
dubojr1

Hmmm... Let the bike run and start spraying it lightly with some water to see if you can pin point an area of the engine when it starts to fail.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM   #20
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

Make sure water isn't getting into your tail pipe. The pipes point upward which could make it easy for water to settle down into it. This would kind of smother the engine. Could be why it will run but you can't get any rpms. If this is the case i bet once you let it run a while and it blows all the water out you're good to go until next time.

Just a guess.

That or electronics getting wet somewhere but i've never had any issue with that.
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM   #21
dubojr1

If it were an exhaust issue... others would be effected as well.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM   #22
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
If it were an exhaust issue... others would be effected as well.
Not to be an ass, but maybe others are more careful about not letting water get into the exhaust? Not everyones aware that this is a potential issue. Afterall its why they make plugs to put in your pipes while you was you bikes (usually used with dirtbikes but still).

Again, it was just a guess but water in your pipes can cause an issue. Just throwing it out there since nobody else had.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

The only other issue it could be would be the distributor or ignition coil (whichever they have on them now). If water gets into the right places on them the exact scenario you speak of can happen.

So its 1 or the other i'd say. Since you say it eventually fixes itself its one of those due to the coil or distributor drying off eventually or the h20 finally getting out of the pipes. If it were water getting into the gas or any of those things it wouldn't correct itself.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #24
dubojr1

That's why some things should be left to the pro's. Your guesses will only confuse someone asking the questions or lead others to believe your "guess" as well.

Many people pressure wash their bikes (including me) with no issue. As long as he is not sticking the hose the the tailpipe... A little water in the exhaust is NOT the issue.

I'm sorry you were apparently offended by my original comment.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM   #25
dubojr1

Our bikes have distributors???

Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM   #26
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

I wasn't offended and don't mean to derail the thread. Didn't mean to come off as an ass either. I type faster than i think but:

"That's why some things should be left to the pro's. Your guesses will only confuse someone asking the questions or lead others to believe your "guess" as well. "

He came on a message board to ask a question b/c he can't figure out the answer and he obviously doesn't want to take it "to the pros" or a shop. That'd be why he asked on here. I'm not a certified or "pro" mechanic and i'm guessing you aren't either. But i am a mechanical engineer and worked as a small engine mechanic while working through college and i have personally seen that enough water in a tail pipe can create an issue given the right circumstances. While a guess, it's an educated guess and a more than valid thing to at least mention. Throughout the years the one thing i've figured out is most mechanical problems are caused by stupid little oversights.

And like i said, distributor/ignition coil, same principle. If it gets wet, it'll screw up the firing. I havent even had the fairings off of my bike yet as its brand new.

Old October 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #27
dubojr1

Rob:

I think we can start a list of things it is not:

1. water in the tail-pipe
2. ignition coil (these are water proof to my knowledge)
3. distributor (because it don't have one)
4. water in the tank (I would think this would not be intermittent)

I'm thinking water in the kill switch or it's being introduced in the intake somehow whether through the snorkel, air box, vacuum line, intake runners, etc. Being the problem goes away after it has been burned or evaporated.... it shouldn't be a hard concern to narrow down.

Here's an old trick used to search for vacuum and intake leaks. Use some carb/choke cleaner and start spraying it lightly around the carbs, runners, and vacuum lines while the engine is running. Be careful not to get it too close to the snorkel because it will give you a false reading but if there is in fact a leak somewhere, the engine will either rev up or down a bit letting you know. Continue the process to narrow your search further to a particular line or carb if needed.

BTW... did you check the filter and inside the air box as DaBlue1 suggested?

GL and keep us updated.

Alex: Should we go ahead and merge the 2 threads? Second one is mentioned above.

Old October 4th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #29
SPG
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

So, maybe relevant to your bike and maybe not, but here goes.

Your bike runs poorly, has low throttle response and the choke makes it worse, but it does run. If is is running on both cylinders, it points to mixture instead of electrical.

My first guess was that you have an unshielded K&N air filter that got wet (my old 400-4 and '87 gsxr would do this), but you say no mods.

So, next time this happens, see if you can determine if it is running on both cylinders. The easiest way is to get it running at 2-3k and unplug one of the small wires from the coil, one coil at a time. If the engine runs the same, then that coil was not firing and you have an electrical problem. If it's not the coils, you are looking at water in the intake, or water in the fuel.

Water in the fuel can present itself intermittently, depending on mixing. You could have the bike start fine off of the fuel in the carb, run crappy as the water is pulled from the bottom of the tank, and run better as the fuel and water slosh and mix. That said, I would expect water and fuel would be improved by the choke, not made worse.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck.
-Sean
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #30
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

You got water into the spark plug holes. It's that simple. The bike started to run better when the water evaporated. Pull the spark plug boots and put some dielectric grease on the boots at two spots. Where the boot seals against the valve cover and at the very end where the spark plug goes up into the boot.

DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #31
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerTeufel View Post
You got water into the spark plug holes. It's that simple. The bike started to run better when the water evaporated. Pull the spark plug boots and put some dielectric grease on the boots at two spots. Where the boot seals against the valve cover and at the very end where the spark plug goes up into the boot.

If in fact this is the case... a little compressed air can clear those spark plug holes as well prior to adding the grease. I don't think a whole lot of water could get through the fairings and under the tank and then under the plug boots but... it is possible.

Thanks for another helpful post DerTeufel!

Old October 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #32
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Thank you all for the great responses. I will try some of these out and get back to you guys and let you know if I figured it out.

Thanks again! This is the reason why I come here.

Old October 5th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I just wanted to point out that my bike behaved identically and would not start after I returned from a weekend in WV the Monday before last. It was covered under a lean-to with walls on most sides so it could only have been water from condensation. I thought I was going to run my battery dead when I finally got a spark!

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #34
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I just wanted to point out that my bike behaved identically and would not start after I returned from a weekend in WV the Monday before last. It was covered under a lean-to with walls on most sides so it could only have been water from condensation. I thought I was going to run my battery dead when I finally got a spark!
Did you figure out what the issue was?

Old October 6th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Did you figure out what the issue was?
My chain was all rusted so it was clear that there was a lot of condensation. I'm pretty sure water got in the engine despite it being under a roof and mostly enclosed. When I got spark, it ran rough but cleared up and the problem went away.