ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 29th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Daanrademaker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Daan

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Motorcycle license california msf

I apologize if I post this in the wrong subforum. Since I think this is a very helpful forum I was wondering if you guys could help me with something I do not understand about the MSF course.

First of all I am going to study in california and I need a motorcycle to commute to and from ventura and santa barbara. I was planning on taking the MSF course but I am confused about which learners permit I need for the course a permit for a car or for a motorcycle? Second of all I do not have a drivers license and when I do finish the MSF course will I get a motorcycle license without having a drivers license for a car?

Thanks in advance for the responses
Daanrademaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I believe you can have a motorcycle learner's permit w/o having a car driving permit. Either one should be ok to take the MSF. Also, you can email the MSF program local coordinator that you're going to attend and ask them.

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

You can do the CA msf with out a permit. When you are done and you go get your M1 you will have to take the written test though. What I did was get my permit first just so I could ride till I was able to get into an msf course. To get your permit all you have to do is go take the written test.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
You can do the CA msf with out a permit.
Only if you already have a driver's license. The OP is not from the US and doesn't have either one. Not sure if an international license would be ok though.

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

http://dmv.ca.gov/dl/checklists/mc.htm
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
For getting your M1 in California, it depends on your age. Assuming you are over 21, here is all you need for an M1 in Cali if you don't have a driver's license:

Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44).
Pay the application fee.
Pass a vision examination.
Study for and pass the written test.
Give a thumb print.
Have your picture taken
Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document.
Provide your social security number.
Provide your true full name.
(THEN YOU GET YOUR PERMIT AND HAVE 6 MONTHS TO DO THE FOLLOWING FOR THE LICENSE)
Either complete and provide the completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the motorcycle driving test.

You get your motorcycle operators training permit (if you are over 21) after you pass the written test and provide all the info above. You don't get your actual M1 license until you either pass the driving test or provide proof of taking the MSF course.

To take the MSF course, you don't need a permit. In fact, the law requires persons under 21 to pass the MSF course BEFORE getting their permit, so it shouldn't be a problem taking the course without one. You can double check with your MSF provider to be sure.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Only if you already have a driver's license. The OP is not from the US and doesn't have either one. Not sure if an international license would be ok though.
From the Ca. DMV Handbook: Adults Visiting California
Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state license is valid.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
From the Ca. DMV Handbook: Adults Visiting California
Visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state license is valid.
That is only temporary so that tourists can drive here. The OP hasn't mentioned if he has a valid driver's license from his country. And he wants to get his M1, so he needs to pass the MSF. The MSF may require a US license.

Old June 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
According to CA DMV:

Quote:
Any individual, 15 1/2 years of age or older, who wishes to participate in a CMSP Basic RiderCourse (MSF BRC) or a CHP-approved Premier Program must possess either a valid driver’s license, a California DMV-issued instruction permit, or a California DMV-issued identification card.
No motorcycle learning permit will be required since CA law requires MSF BEFORE someone 21 or younger gets a permit.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2011, 03:23 AM   #10
Daanrademaker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Daan

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Thanks everyone for the resplies, I am 19 so I will need to take the written test first (so not the specific motorcycle one) and than take the msf class. And after the Msf class my M1 license!! Can't wait
Daanrademaker is offline   Reply With Quote