ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old March 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #1
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

(Almost) Only Damaged My Pride

I fell Friday night, on the way home from a beach bonfire (yes, in March. It's socal. If you're jealous, just move here ). I'd just gotten on the bike, I was making a right turn, there was sand I didn't see in the dark. I felt the front start to wobble and slide, so I straightened up and slowed down, which cleared things up - at which point I made my second mistake, dropping back into the turn. Front tire noped its way right off the pavement, and my right knee and right front turn signal took its place. Smashed the lens on the turn signal, but my knee's fine - I hurt it worse on the ice rink last week (yes, in socal. If it was 70F or higher year round where you lived, you'd want an ice rink too ).

I made two big mistakes - not seeing the sand in the first place, and trying to turn again when I'd already felt unstable. I had plenty of room left, about eight feet, before I left my right-of-way, and another twelve or so before I actually hit anything (I was the only one on the road). If I'd just gone an extra bike length before I tried to turn back in, I probably wouldn't be posting this.

Still, I got a replacement lens for less than $7 including shipping, so all in all, a relatively cheap lesson. Ride safe and smart, guys.
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

Great to hear that the only thing you bruised was your turn signal! Almost the same exact thing happened to me in a parking lot last year -- skinned my knee a bit, broke the turn signal lens, but otherwise none the worse for wear!

Also, I got a smile out of your front tire noping its way off the pavement =).

Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPlatypus View Post
I fell Friday night, on the way home from a beach bonfire............so all in all, a relatively cheap lesson. Ride safe and smart, guys.

It is very hard to detect fine sand at night.
There is always sand on the road when some day-time-wind has blown over a bank or dune.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Glad to hear you're not hurt. Thanks for sharing your experience so we can learn vicariously rather than the hard way.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
thank god I live in DC where instead of sand on the roads in march we have ..wait........ ummm........ snow .............
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #6
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Sand and fine grit can be very slippery, I'm glad you were'nt hurt too bad and that the damage was pretty light also. Another reason I'm not a big fan of riding at night.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.