Old September 20th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #2081
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You can do this. Hydraulic brakes on bikes are easy. Very user friendly and easy to get right. No. Need to fear.

A, I get where you're going with that thought. but at the same time, you've ridden hydraulic disks, right?
Yes, ridden with hydraulic brakes on many different bicycles and motorcycles, sure they work wonders, but rather overkill on bicycles.

I always believe that brakes are to be used minimally, all they do is to slow you down, take away available traction to response obstacles and limit your options to avoiding impact.

Observe your surroundings (in advance), think through your available options in advance, most of the time the best option is not to brake, but a way around obstacles without brakes.
If you rely majorly on brakes to stay safe on your ride; likely your are riding fast than you can observe or think.

Hydraulic brakes on 40-50 lb. downhill Mt. bikes that bombs down ski slopes at 40-50 mph, sure that makes sense; but how often do any of us do that type of riding?

Riding downhill over long distance with constant brake application (over 20 sec of braking) is where hydraulic brakes outperform mechanical disc brakes. That's something that rarely occurs on my rides.
Mechanical disc have been working just fine on my gravel bike on the pavement, even at the end of a 1/2 mile long downhill where I frequent twice a month at the most, no brake fade or problem with slowing/stopping.

Knowing the right components that you need on your bike that suits your willingness to service those components. Time and $$ are better spent riding over servicing.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2017, 06:01 AM   #2082
"A"
vampire

Cool

Something else in the world:

History of mountain biking in Nepal

with hydraulic discs.. or not..

Old September 21st, 2017, 05:00 PM   #2083
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Why I'll never buy another bike with rim brakes ever again!!!:
6 flats so far after only 1500 km!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5037.jpg (126.4 KB, 5 views)
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2017, 03:15 AM   #2084
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
are you sure that's a function of the rim brakes? Without more information, I'm not.

Have you checked the rim and tire for signs of cause? The tube will tell you how it went flat.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2017, 03:17 AM   #2085
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Hydraulic brakes on 40-50 lb. downhill Mt. bikes that bombs down ski slopes at 40-50 mph, sure that makes sense;
Why does it make sense?

Old September 22nd, 2017, 06:17 AM   #2086
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
Why does it make sense?
Try it some times and you'll find out.
Steep downhill on ski slopes, constant acceleration and hard braking, speed exceed that can 40 mph, on bikes that weight more than twice of average road bikes, rider geared up heavier than your average road cyclists; all those combined may require significant brake performance than your regular everyday commute or club ride.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:54 AM   #2087
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Why I'll never buy another bike with rim brakes ever again!!!:
6 flats so far after only 1500 km!!!
What does rim-brakes have to do with flats? What caused those 6 flats?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:48 PM   #2088
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
What does rim-brakes have to do with flats? What caused those 6 flats?
Rim brakes have nothing to do with causing the flats but brake pad and rim dust combined with road crud & a wet day create a filthy mess that is hard to clean off after fixing a flat! There's a lot of crap on the sides of the roads I've been travelling. Most the flats have been caused by the fine wires in blown truck tires that frequently litter the road edges.
Disk brakes don't cause less flats but there's no brake pad & rim dust to crud up your fingers!
If you live & ride in dry areas then you probably think I'm nuts but those that live on the wet coast and particularly those that ride year round will understand. Not to mention disks have far better braking performance in all weather and no risk of overheating and blowing a tire on long hills with touring loads!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2017, 04:18 PM   #2089
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Try it some times and you'll find out.
Gee, thanks.

I was more looking for your explanation because I want to know your thought process. I have an engineering degree and have done plenty of varied riding; I know well for myself why, but that's not what I'm actually after by asking.

I still stand by my statement that with how good and how affordable modern hydraulic disk brakes have become, there's really no reason to choose mechanical disk brakes any more unless we're talking about a loaded tandem descending a mountain pass with a scared stoker. Through use of ceramic pistons, fins, and better material choices of the calipers/disks themselves, heatsoak/brake boil issues have been solved for all but the crazy extreme cases.

The added ability to finesse just the right amount of braking out of a hydraulic disk brake compared with its mechanical counterpart is why they're worth the $$ every time.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2090
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
The added ability to finesse just the right amount of braking out of a hydraulic disk brake compared with its mechanical counterpart is why they're worth the $$ every time.
This. I'll take the feel of hydraulic discs over mechanical discs any time.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 05:31 PM   #2091
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
Gee, thanks.

I was more looking for your explanation because I want to know your thought process. I have an engineering degree and have done plenty of varied riding; I know well for myself why, but that's not what I'm actually after by asking.

I still stand by my statement that with how good and how affordable modern hydraulic disk brakes have become, there's really no reason to choose mechanical disk brakes any more unless we're talking about a loaded tandem descending a mountain pass with a scared stoker. Through use of ceramic pistons, fins, and better material choices of the calipers/disks themselves, heatsoak/brake boil issues have been solved for all but the crazy extreme cases.

Whatever floats your boat.

My thought process is as follow: bicycles are about utility, simplicity and sustainability.

Doesn't take an engineering degree to know that brake fluids, even the organic ones are not ideal for the environment.

I have no need for hydraulic brakes to slow my bicycle on rides, likely neither does most if not 99% of bicycle owners in the world; less environment impact by using mechanical one without the need to change brake fluids.

Last futzed with by "A"; September 23rd, 2017 at 09:54 AM.

Old October 9th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #2092
"A"
vampire

Cool

Rainy day, working on my Chinese carbon bike:

Last futzed with by "A"; October 9th, 2017 at 05:38 PM.

Old October 14th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #2093
"A"
vampire

Put it all together, still raining.. no test ride.

Last futzed with by "A"; October 14th, 2017 at 03:20 PM.

Old October 14th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #2094
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You have little odds and ends from everywhere available at your disposal, don't you? I'm seeing parts from all over the spectrum on that bike.

Old October 14th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #2095
"A"
vampire

Quote:
You have little odds and ends from everywhere available at your disposal, don't you? I'm seeing parts from all over the spectrum on that bike.
Been working on bicycles for over 27 years, used parts that people discard when upgrading to new components, I get to take them home from the shop where I used to work at. Nothing fancy, but still functional parts.

Got out for a 20 min ride to test out the bike, feels as stiff as my 20 y-o Kestrel with 650 wheels. The seatpost seems kinda flimsy.. torqued to spec but still tilts during ride.. may need to put some hockey tape in the clamp... or find a different seatpost..

Old October 14th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #2096
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Got out for a 20 min ride to test out the bike, feels as stiff as my 20 y-o Kestrel with 650 wheels.
Are you saying the old Kestral was very stiff, or that the new carbon is flimsy?

Old October 14th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #2097
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Are you saying the old Kestral was very stiff, or that the new carbon is flimsy?
Consider that my Kestrel is 20 y-o, 58cm frame and doesn't have a seat tube:

New Chinese frame is like a 52cm, the seatpost is kinda flimsy, tilting clamp is not a very good design.

Old October 14th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2098
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I remember the days of innovative frames. Then the racing rules ended that.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #2099
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I remember the days of innovative frames. Then the racing rules ended that.
Like these?

Old October 14th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #2100
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Flimsy it is!

Another reason I'm having an inner struggle with buying Chinese carbon; can't test ride

Old October 14th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #2101
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Like these?
Yes, and the beam frames, etc.. I think the racing organization(s) that require double diamond frames made a very poor decision that severely limited innovative engineering work to advance bicycle designs. They claimed that it was to prevent well funded teams from having an advantage, but even if that's true, it was a bad decision, since the less well funded teams would have access to the new technology soon after it was introduced anyway, and everyone would benefit, all the way down to consumers.

Old October 14th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #2102
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Flimsy it is!

Another reason I'm having an inner struggle with buying Chinese carbon; can't test ride
You can't read?

I didn't say the frame is flimsy, just the seatpost.

Struggle will always be yours if you don't try for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Yes, and the beam frames, etc.. I think the racing organization(s) that require double diamond frames made a very poor decision that severely limited innovative engineering work to advance bicycle designs. They claimed that it was to prevent well funded teams from having an advantage, but even if that's true, it was a bad decision, since the less well funded teams would have access to the new technology soon after it was introduced anyway, and everyone would benefit, all the way down to consumers.
Ever learn about Graeme Obree's?

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 17th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #2103
"A"
vampire

7 AM, I'm taking a nap on the Q train on my way to Brooklyn.
Scumbag black dude walked off the train with my bicycle, 10 other passengers within the train car didn't say a word.
I ran after the prep, grabbed my bike from him and got back on the train before doors closed, didn't have enough time push the intercom button to stop the train & go after the scumbag.
I'll be looking out for him for sure.

Old October 17th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #2104
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Ever learn about Graeme Obree's?
A good example of banning innovation for political reasons. This is the kind of thing that causes me to have little interest in professional sports.

Old October 17th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #2105
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Sucks that nobody said anything when that guy grabbed your bike. I'm glad you were able to get it back!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #2106
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
7 AM, I'm taking a nap on the Q train on my way to Brooklyn.
Scumbag b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ dude walked off the train with my bicycle, 10 other passengers within the train car didn't say a word.
I ran after the prep, grabbed my bike from him and got back on the train before doors closed, didn't have enough time push the intercom button to stop the train & go after the scumbag.
I'll be looking out for him for sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

The best way to deal with the scumbags in my area is to scream at them. They're all ****ing cowards and crumple at the slightest confrontation. Make sure you have the law and some force to back yourself up, though. A heavy u-lock isn't a bad choice, but I usually prefer a can of mace. I don't have anything to prove to some scabby dude other than that I'm not going to let him destroy and steal my stuff, so ending the confrontation as quickly as I start it is the way to go. Can't say how to deal with them in your area, though. Confrontation is usually a pretty terrible idea. But I'm in California, where thieves and criminals are pretty well protected. Naturally, I'm much scarier than the police. From what I hear, Brooklyn is similar. Take it for what it's worth.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #2107
"A"
vampire

16-month tour in Bosnia, 2 tours in Iraq.. I hope that's enough to back me up.

I take the same train 2-3 times a week, around the same time.
If this black scumbag is dumb enough to be a regular on the same train, I'll see him soon enough.

Old October 19th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #2108
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Um, you're your own person and can do what you want, but that sounds like a bad idea. The situation is over.

And, if you do get in his face or otherwise have another altercation with this individual, or any others, maaaybe don't reference his race. That doesn't look good for you at all if it goes to court.

Old October 19th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #2109
"A"
vampire

With video footage of the incident taking place on the platform.. and eye witnesses on the subway train.. maybe those can come to use in court.

Don't reference his race? this is not about race, this is about catching the prep who committed crime that was captured on video and witnessed by others on the same train.

Last futzed with by "A"; October 19th, 2017 at 06:00 PM.

Old October 20th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #2110
"A"
vampire

If you have to ask, clearly you have no idea.

Please stop instigating race issue in this thread.

Old October 20th, 2017, 08:28 AM   #2111
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
suggest you do the same

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #2112
"A"
vampire

Your suggestion is not needed; I stated clear fact from my incident, with video footage and multiple witnesses.
Instigation such as your "deleted" post is racism.

Post something related to topic of thread and move on, since you have no clue what happened.

Old October 20th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #2113
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I rode in the rain on the way home from work without rain gear. It wouldn't have been so bad if the headwind wasn't so strong. I've since added a pair of clear safety glasses to my cycle-pack.

Old October 20th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #2114
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
this black scumbag is dumb
This is a racist statement @Alex

Why point out the hue of the scumbags skin?

Old October 20th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #2115
"A"
vampire

If you don't have anything related to bicycles, use PM to ask for what you don't understand.
STOP instigating racism in this bicycle thread.

Old October 20th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #2116
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14

Old October 20th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #2117
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

No, I'm not banning anyone. No, I don't have the time or energy to edit all inflammatory posts. But the T.O.S. here is pretty obvious, linked in my sig and the bottom of every page. If one can't get their ideas and writing across without inflaming a good portion of the potential recipients, it's worth some self-reflection.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2017, 08:30 PM   #2118
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I rode in the rain on the way home from work without rain gear. It wouldn't have been so bad if the headwind wasn't so strong. I've since added a pair of clear safety glasses to my cycle-pack.
OOoh, I don't like being out in the rain. Clear glasses sound like a good addition to your pack.

Old October 21st, 2017, 08:52 PM   #2119
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Next I'll get one of those big yellow raincoats that make the wearer look like a duck.

Old October 21st, 2017, 11:15 PM   #2120
CaliGrrl

ROFL! It'll flap in the breeze as you ride along!