Old August 15th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

buying a 32 inch TV any suggestions??

right now I am leaning toward the VO32LF from Vizio

but I may go with the samsung 32A450

This is for my bedroom but it sounds like it is better than my current big screen, lol. I think eventually I will buy a blueray player, and the TV will be hooked up to HD programming (I know HD programming is only in 720P/1080i) do you guy think that the 1080P is over kill?? thanks.
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #2
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

I would say Vizio.
And 32' is Fine.

I bought a 32'' myself and at first i thought it was going to be to small.
But once you have it sitting in your room you realize its just right.
Its when u see it sitting next to a 42 at the store that it looks small lol.
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

suggestions.... I wouldn't try to bring it home on your ninja

And I'm going to disagree with Hybrid and say go with the Samsung. Everytime I walk into best buy and look at the wall of tvs, the Samsungs immediately grab my attention with their image quality - I don't think anyone else has them looking as good. Definitely go with the 1080p.

Old August 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

Kim is right. Samsung is definitely up there when it comes to quality. But Vizio does give best bang for the buck. Whats the price on both TVs?
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #5
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

It depends how "into" TV you are. Vizio has proven themselves as a good TV, but there's no comparison between a samsung and vizio. A samsung will definitely have more vibrant colors and better contrast ratios.
In all honesty, unless you have a nicer TV that you currently watch somewhere in the house, the Vizio will look amazing...however if you have a nice TV that you watch a lot, you'll notice the difference in colors.
As an example, my mom has a 32" Sharp I bought her a few years ago, and to me the picture always looked amazing. Now that I have my own place I bought a 42" Sony Z series. The picture difference between the two is night and day, the Sharp now looks horrible because I am used to my sony....however before the Sony, the sharp always looked great to me.

As far as 1080, it's useless on a 32" unless you are sitting closer then 5' or so, or if you are using it as a computer monitor. You might notice a differnce between 1080 and 720, but it's going to be such a minimal difference, especially when everything is broadcast at 720.

I personally was going to go with the Vizio myself, but a friend used his employee discount to get me the sony (and the higher model z series at that) for cheaper then any Vizio was.

Old August 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
ScraitT
Green!

Here is a resolution chart for the 1080 vs 720 argument

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09...o-screen-size/

Old August 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

what is important to you in a tv, color representation, color depth, brightness, blacks, viewing angle, ect ect? different tvs shine in different areas
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

That vizio 32" is only like $380 at costco, I was checkin it out the other day when I was in there....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #9
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

I used the wall at Best Buy to compare when we bought our new unit at the end of 2008 and at that time the Toshiba was the best hands down. Also, Best Buy has an optional service that after 100 hours of burn in they will come out and tune your TV for optimum colors and power reduction. Cost a few bucks but it really made a difference and the set runs a lot cooler.

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #10
ScraitT
Green!

The problem with looking at TV's in the store is that you don't know who has come and messed with all the settings on it TVs. Some stores are notorious for making TVs that they make a big profit on look better then others by adjusting the settings (usually individual stores, not companies...like some best buys, not all of them).

Usually the best way to get an idea is to just read reviews from knowledgeable people who have purchased and properly calibrated the TVs themselves.

Also, since we are talking TV's....check out Woot.com. They have a 32" refurbished magnavox for 299 + 5 shipping. It's definitely a poorly rated TV since Phillips is highly looked down upon AND its a refurb, but it IS cheap. If the vizio doesn't cost more, it's worlds above this, but just thought I'd spread the info.

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #11
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ indeed. TVs in the store are always set up with retarded amounts of contrast and color and brightness. horribly inaccurate and not represtative of what it will or should look like in your room
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #12
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

My neighbor bought a 47" Vizio two years ago at Costco, and a few weeks ago it just died. The repair estimate was apx $600 and it was out of warranty. However, since he purchased it with his American Express card it had an extended warranty and he got a new TV. My neighbor had done some research and found that it was a common problem for their plasma models, "The Pop of Death". In fact, if you just search "Vizio pop of death" you can see all the links. Ken has alot of experience repairing electronic equiptment and was able to use the info from the websites to fix the TV, which is now in our living room.

I don't know if Vizio has fixed the problems on the newer models, but I would keep that in mind. And if you do buy from Costco, use your American Express card.

Old August 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #13
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyCavies View Post
I don't know if Vizio has fixed the problems on the newer models, but I would keep that in mind. And if you do buy from Costco, use your American Express card.
Costco automatically doubles TV warranties, you don't need to use an Amex. Buy I would definitely suggest using a card with that feature when buying a TV (even at Costco just to be on the safe side). I know Amex does it, and it's my card of choice, but most of Discovers cards and some Mastercards (maybe even a Visa or two?) have the double warranty on electronics.

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #14
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I haven't owned a TV in 6 or 7 years, so take what I say with a grain of salt... although I do like technology.

I looked at Plasmas last Christmas out of couriosity because I would LIKE to get one at some point, and wanted to educate myself a little. What I decided to do is wait at least a year, a sales person actually suggested this, but it is what I would have done anyways. The reason is partly for money, of course, but also for technoology and features. Since I haven't had TV, I have focused on internet and very basic networking in my house. I believe HP is the first to add web apps, but soon it will become more standard to have web apps (life Flash Player, etc. so you can watch youtube, etc.) &, more importantly, networking functionality.

These things may not be what you need or want right now, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. There probably isn't one product that is the perfect product for everybody. Well.... except the 2008+ Ninja 250r
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #15
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

most of the t.v's out now, you can hook your pc right up to..HD 1080..

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I have the 32" Samsung running @ 120ghz. It's not the greatest for watching TV programs but it's the bomb when it comes to movies, gaming, and net surfing.

I got mine for $600 on Ebay (new - not refurbished). Best Buy, Frys, etc. wanted $999 for them.

Had it for 6 months, no problems whatsoever.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #17
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I have the 32" Samsung running @ 120ghz. It's not the greatest for watching TV programs but it's the bomb when it comes to movies, gaming, and net surfing.

I got mine for $600 on Ebay (new - not refurbished). Best Buy, Frys, etc. wanted $999 for them.

Had it for 6 months, no problems whatsoever.
I want to get this 40" toshiba for $600, its a deal, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0&Sku=T24-4008 But I never watch T.V. only thing I'd use it for is PS3, cant justify buying it just for that..

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #18
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
I want to get this 40" toshiba for $600, its a deal, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0&Sku=T24-4008 But I never watch T.V. only thing I'd use it for is PS3, cant justify buying it just for that..
That's a good buy! I've read on other sites where the Toshiba received a lot of negative reviews. I did a lot of research before buying mine. I'm not saying don't buy but it all comes down to your preference.

For example, I didn't go with the 40" because I wanted a monitor that projected a "WIDE SCREEN" look. The 40" didn't provide that which is why I went with the 32".

BTW, which games do you play on PS3. That's what I use my monitor for, too.

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #19
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That's a good buy! I've read on other sites where the Toshiba received a lot of negative reviews. I did a lot of research before buying mine. I'm not saying don't buy but it all comes down to your preference.

For example, I didn't go with the 40" because I wanted a monitor that projected a "WIDE SCREEN" look. The 40" didn't provide that which is why I went with the 32".

BTW, which games do you play on PS3. That's what I use my monitor for, too.
Madden 09, Socom navy seals (I get my ass kicked in that game though), Rainbow Six Vegas 2, my son is 4 he loves Drakes Fortune we're always playin that, Virtua Fighter..As soon as that new Call of Duty comes out next month I'm gonna get into that..

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #20
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Madden 09, Socom navy seals (I get my ass kicked in that game though), Rainbow Six Vegas 2, my son is 4 he loves Drakes Fortune we're always playin that, Virtua Fighter..As soon as that new Call of Duty comes out next month I'm gonna get into that..
The only two games I play are Socom and Street Fighter 4. I'll only play PS3 games that are online interactive.

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #21
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Street Fighter 4 looks bad ass, is it hard to play?

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #22
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Street Fighter 4 looks bad ass, is it hard to play?
I haven't played SF in ages. I mean, I used to play it religiously back in 89 and this was the very first time I've picked up the game again; and let me tell you I had the hardest time adapting to the game play.

It was so different. It felt slow and awkward. The new moves were confusing to me.

There were times when I just wanted to throw the joystick out of the window cause I kept losing. You have to understand my nature - I'm really competitive when it comes to online games. My GF would be like WTF, relax! It's only a game. She just doesn't understand about guys & games. LOL!

After two months of training and playing, I finally understand the game. The game is a lot faster than I thought and is 200% better! I am now ranked in the mid 100s out of 200,000+ players.

This game is by far the best 2D one on one fighting game there is! Hands down the best!

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #23
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I haven't played SF in ages. I mean, I used to play it religiously back in 89 and this was the very first time I've picked up the game again; and let me tell you I had the hardest time adapting to the game play.

It was so different. It felt slow and awkward. The new moves were confusing to me.

There were times when I just wanted to throw the joystick out of the window cause I kept losing. You have to understand my nature - I'm really competitive when it comes to online games. My GF would be like WTF, relax! It's only a game. She just doesn't understand about guys & games. LOL!

After two months of training and playing, I finally understand the game. The game is a lot faster than I thought and is 200% better! I am now ranked in the mid 100s out of 200,000+ players.

This game is by far the best 2D one on one fighting game there is! Hands down the best!
Yea, I used to kick ass at the arcade and on super nintendo with Ken and Ryu, back in the day..I'm gonna have to check the new 1 out..

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My fave fighting game was Nintendo/Rareware's Killer Instinct on SNES and in arcades... also Killer Instinct 2/KI Gold in arcades and on Nintendo 64.

I kicked all kinds of butt on X-BAND (early dial-up multiplayer gaming service). I always got my rear handed to me in MKII, MKIII, SSFII, etc.

Quote:
Yea, I used to kick ass at the arcade and on super nintendo with Ken and Ryu, back in the day..I'm gonna have to check the new 1 out..
Wait for it... Super SF IV is already in the works (I'm not kidding).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #25
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
My fave fighting game was Nintendo/Rareware's Killer Instinct on SNES and in arcades... also Killer Instinct 2/KI Gold in arcades and on Nintendo 64.

I kicked all kinds of butt on X-BAND (early dial-up multiplayer gaming service). I always got my rear handed to me in MKII, MKIII, SSFII, etc.

Wow! I bow down to the true NerdGod! Good stuff man!

Yeah, SSFIV will be released in spring next year. And it's gonna be $20 or $30...something like that.

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #26
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

LOL, killer instinct, all I remember from that game is Cinder that fire guy, I would kick ass with him, also wasn't there a dinosaur in that game?
MK1, with Raiden, I was GOD...FATALITY

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #27
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

I loved Killer Instinct. I used the boxer guy...I forget his name. I think he was a rip off of Balroc from Street Fighter

Old October 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #28
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Seeing as how we've already completely hijacked this thread, here's a link to college humor's street fighter the later years..it's some funny **** if u havent already seen it.. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...23E8ABCD7630A0

Old October 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #29
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Seeing as how we've already completely hijacked this thread, here's a link to college humor's street fighter the later years..it's some funny **** if u havent already seen it.. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...23E8ABCD7630A0
I'll check it out at home.

Back on topic: Buy that Toshiba! That's a good buy!

Old October 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
LOL, killer instinct, all I remember from that game is Cinder that fire guy, I would kick ass with him, also wasn't there a dinosaur in that game?
MK1, with Raiden, I was GOD...FATALITY
I hope it wasn't that slappy (Fwd-Fwd+MedP)*∞ combo that all the "n00bz" would get hung up on (worked with Spinal too). If it was, forget I said anything *whistles nonchalantly* It only worked because it was an opener move AND a finisher move so all it needed was a press in between (slappy hit) to open and finish a combo. For Spinal, it was ALSO a combo breaker, so n00bs felt even more skilled without knowing what they were doing.

A real combo involved an opener move, your choice of a couple autodouble buttons determined by that opener move, a linker move, your choice of a couple autodouble buttons determined by the linker (most characters only had one linker, thus, this is where combos were usually broken by the opponent), a finisher move, and an air juggle/CB air juggle. If you got a combo breaker on your opponent earlier in the match your next three air juggles will get extra hits (Spinal worked a little differently).

Quote:
I loved Killer Instinct. I used the boxer guy...I forget his name. I think he was a rip off of Balroc from Street Fighter
TJ Combo. He was supposed to be a prototypical (and stereotypical) American Tough Guy™ from the British perspective of Rareware. He even wore a US flag. He was my best fighter because of the fake-outs (stop mid-move or pose like he's starting a top-attack or vulnerable fist-spinning thing), change-ups (convert a Powerline into a Roller Coaster... very effective cross-screen opener with a Press-Release Fierce PL changed to a med roller coaster), and a few little secrets (an alternate finisher involving a charged P-R MP Roller Coaster where you had to charge the button AND the direction).

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #31
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
TJ Combo. He was supposed to be a prototypical (and stereotypical) American Tough Guy™ from the British perspective of Rareware. He even wore a US flag. He was my best fighter because of the fake-outs (stop mid-move or pose like he's starting a top-attack or vulnerable fist-spinning thing), change-ups (convert a Powerline into a Roller Coaster... very effective cross-screen opener with a Press-Release Fierce PL changed to a med roller coaster), and a few little secrets (an alternate finisher involving a charged P-R MP Roller Coaster where you had to charge the button AND the direction).
I like to pull some of those moves on you....in mud that is. I lub my new friend!

Old October 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #32
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Whenever we contemplate a purchase of an appliance or TV, we call a general TV repair facility and ask which brand they see least. Samsung has been a consistant winner.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #33
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

1080 vs 720 isn't much of a concern at this size. as for brand get the samsung you wont be disappointed.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #34
Delta107
ninjette.org member

Name: Delta

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R - BLUE

I bought the 32" VIZIO Full HD TV Java. For $350 at target on clearance. I'm happy with it. I bought it for my PS3, perfect TV for me. I don't like buying brand names just for the brand.

Plus Blu-ray holy crap its like you were blind and now you can see. Its AMAZING!
Delta107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #35
headshrink

Although I am no expert, one of my best friends designs "smart homes" (the "smart," not the home), and I remember him saying Samsung is usually his first choice for a flat panel. I THINK his second choice started with a 'P,' but I don't remember which one.

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #36
Nexion
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Working towards one

My friend has a 26" Westinghouse HDTV, I'll be buying the 32" soon. I think it was $429 at Target around here.
Nexion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #37
headshrink

I don't think Westinghouse has a good rep.

If it hasn't been mentioned before, check out Costco. They have nice ones for good prices (not high end, but not crap either). Costco also doubles the warranty, whereas most electronic stores try to milk you for several hundred bucks to get their extended warranty.
I heard about someone this week who put a Wii remote through their screen, and Costco gave them a replacement for free. I presume that even the expensive extended warranties probably wouldn't replace it, since it was the user's fault.

Old October 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #38
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

We have a 52" samsung LCD, I only use it for sports (nba) and PS3 (nba2k10). I love watching basketball in HD so much better. I would check out www.slickdeals.net they post all the good deals. I don't know why but my brother picked this one after obsessing over 120hz which turns out doesn't do much i think.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
We have a 52" samsung LCD, I only use it for sports (nba) and PS3 (nba2k10). I love watching basketball in HD so much better. I would check out www.slickdeals.net they post all the good deals. I don't know why but my brother picked this one after obsessing over 120hz which turns out doesn't do much i think.
It's a multiple of 24, 30, and 60, so frames can be quintoupled, quadrupled, or doubled evenly to match your display's output rather than odd pulldown conversions. For example, a 24FPS theatrical movie on DVD or TV has every even frame doubled and every odd frame tripled so that 24FPS can be converted to 60FPS. This is 3-2 pulldown conversion and it makes something traveling at a constant speed across the screen appear to "pulse" across, seemingly getting faster and slower ("judder"). All theatrical movies are filmed at 24FPS while most TV is filmed at 30 or 60FPS (always transmitted at 60hz though).

Video games are another matter... their frame rates are often unstable or not in sync causing tearing and other artifacts (half of the frame sent to the TV came from the previous frame rendered in the game and the other half came as the game was rendering a new frame), so the game engine/console often holds the frame rate back, slowing down the game, to make it a factor of 60 (15, 20, 30, or 60FPS).

To put it simply, 120hz TVs are not meant for 120hz content. They are meant to properly support everything below 120hz. Eurasian/Austrailian "PAL" content, OTOH, was once 50hz but luckily they also have PAL60 and their HDTV is 60hz like the rest of the world. Most PAl50 content was 24FPS slightly sped up and frame-doubled to acheive 50hz. A a typical feature-length (two hour plus) theatrical movie might finish a minute or two early ON A PAL DVD player.

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #40
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
120hz which turns out doesn't do much i think.
I never could tell the difference between the TVs in the store that had 120hz and the ones that didnt myself....However I ended up picking up one of the sony Z series, which of course had 120hz.

Now that I have gotten used to watching TV with the 120hz, it's like night and day, especially when watching football.

It's just one of those things you'll never miss if you don't have though. Like comparing a samsung and vizio. Sure the sammy is going to be a lot better picture quality with better contrasts and brighter colors, BUT if you get the vizio and stick it in your home, it WILL look great and you'll be more then happy (until you get a samsung for the livingroom or something).
120hz is the same way, you'll never notice or miss it until you have it.