ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #81
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Nope. The height is about the same as the bars used on the 300 and J/K 250s, but the risers are different lengths because the bases sit differently with the triple. The newer bikes have a bar riser base that sits on top of the flat triples while the F bike's triple is staggered so that the bar riser base is flush with the rest of the triple. The base size and bolt spacing is different, so they won't simply sit lower when used on an F-bike.
Dangit!

Ok, I still have the pre-gen riser, it's just the bar that's bent to hell. Will the newer bar fit in the old riser? Are the clutch perches interchangeable?
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #82
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiebug79 View Post
Dangit!

Ok, I still have the pre-gen riser, it's just the bar that's bent to hell. Will the newer bar fit in the old riser? Are the clutch perches interchangeable?
The clutch perches have different pins but they should swap as long as you also swap pins/levers (levers may swap; not sure). The newer bars are one piece with the riser and base. Bar ends are identical though.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM   #83
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
They are the same in length. Most pre-gen shocks that are used will appear maybe a couple mm (like 2-3mm) shorter simply because they settled over time/use. Also the real reason that the new-gen shocks raise up the rear end of a pre-gen is because of the stiffer spring and thicker fluid. It's just a much stronger shock and doesn't sag like the pre-gens do.
other than this, are there any "performance" gains from swapping a new shock onto a classic? like better turns, more sticky, just looks awesome?

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:24 AM   #84
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by melfice View Post
other than this, are there any "performance" gains from swapping a new shock onto a classic? like better turns, more sticky, just looks awesome?
..."this" is what makes the bike handle better and makes the 08-12 shock a better option for the classic bike.

The result is the bike feels a little more planted through turns and doesn't just give when you sit on it. It's a slightly better shock for the bike. It will make you notice how bad the front end is as well. The preload adjustment gives you a little more ability to tune for weight/riding style as well. I would rather have some control over damping as well, but it's better than nothing.

Don't forget when the tail doesn't sag as much, the angle of the forks with the ground is more aggressive, so you'll notice a little quicker turn-in as well.

Warning: changing the shock will make you realize how poor the stock front end is. Once you do one end of the suspension, you'll want to do the other.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:24 AM   #85
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I can get a shock easy, now I just need to figure out how to work on my front

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #86
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
..."this" is what makes the bike handle better and makes the 08-12 shock a better option for the classic bike.

The result is the bike feels a little more planted through turns and doesn't just give when you sit on it. It's a slightly better shock for the bike. It will make you notice how bad the front end is as well. The preload adjustment gives you a little more ability to tune for weight/riding style as well. I would rather have some control over damping as well, but it's better than nothing.

Don't forget when the tail doesn't sag as much, the angle of the forks with the ground is more aggressive, so you'll notice a little quicker turn-in as well.

Warning: changing the shock will make you realize how poor the stock front end is. Once you do one end of the suspension, you'll want to do the other.
Okay so I found a seller getting rid of his front springs and spacers, would that be all I need to put into my forks for the 08 front suspension or would I need to buy a whole triple/fork setup from an 08?

Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:57 AM   #87
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You'll have to get the triples, a new way of using the speedo, the 08-12 front wheel...

I really was thinking change the fork springs and fork oil and preload... but if you want to swap the whole front end, go for it.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:19 AM   #88
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

I can't find a complete front end for cheap, I was just trying to get something simple like how I'm getting there rear shock from an 08 to put on mine.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM   #89
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It very simple to swap springs.

Take off the caps. Pull out the springs. Measure the length of the stock spring + Stock spacer. Measure the length of the new springs. Make a spacer out of 3/4" PVC to compensate for any difference in length. Drop in new springs + the PVC spacer. Done.

That's easier than swapping the whole front end. Plus then you don't have to deal with swapping over an entire front end.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:43 AM   #90
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Sweetness. Modding on a budget. Thanks

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:50 AM   #91
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Sweetness. Modding on a budget. Thanks
Yepp. That's my motto with suspension for a street bike.

What's your weight? Use the spring rate calculator here to calculate your ideal spring rate:http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...250R/1986-2007

If you're a lightweight, ex500 springs are 0.585 kg/mm and are pretty close to the suggested spring rate for someone who's 135 lbs. Suggested for me is 0.626 kg/mm, but 0.585 feels darn good.

If you're not a featherweight like me , your options are either find springs from racetech that match the spring rate they suggest, or you can hunt around and research spring rates from other bikes and use those OEM parts instead. Using springs from other bikes will likely be cheaper (think Ebay) but I'm not sure.

If you up the spring rate a lot, consider changing to slightly thicker fluid as well to control the rebound damping a bit. That's also really easy. Measure oil level, drain oil, replace with same amount of new oil.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM   #92
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

"FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.68 kg/mm"
I'm approx 145lb

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #93
neo101288
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2002 EX250

where did you get the parts to convert to the 17" wheels
neo101288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #94
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

I didn't. I'm installing a new gen rear shock and wanted new gen front springs to match so I'll have balanced stiffness in front and back.

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #95
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
wanted new gen front springs to match so I'll have balanced stiffness in front and back.
What's the spring rate on the J series fork springs? If they're close to the recommended rate for you, that should work fine. You want springs that are close to the recommended spring rate for your weight.

Old February 26th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #96
neo101288
ninjette.org member

sorry buddy that was a miss hap on my part i was looking in the earlyer section where the the fela had the parts to put the 17" tires on a pregen i was wondering how i could get my hands on those parts to do the same to mine i also have been looking into doing the front and rear springs to my bike cause its quite squishie

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #97
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Quote:
What's the spring rate on the J series fork springs? If they're close to the recommended rate for you, that should work fine. You want springs that are close to the recommended spring rate for your weight.
No idea actually, I tried searching for that info but the internet didn't help out much. But I never had much problem with my front end to speak of, it's always been my rear; whoever had the bike before me wise the hell it if the shock. So I was considering a cheap and useful upgrade. One I put my rear on I'll see how the front is, if anything, it will not need to be messed with at all like you mentioned.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #98
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo101288 View Post
sorry buddy that was a miss hap on my part i was looking in the earlyer section where the the fela had the parts to put the 17" tires on a pregen i was wondering how i could get my hands on those parts to do the same to mine i also have been looking into doing the front and rear springs to my bike cause its quite squishie
The guy who did it for @copperaxe no longer sells them but he readily provides the info to do it yourself. I plan to do it for the rear end and just swap the front end with the J-bike's triple.

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #99
bagtf3
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '06 GSXR 1K, '03 YZ450F, 95 EX250

Good info.
bagtf3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #100
neo101288
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The guy who did it for @copperaxe no longer sells them but he readily provides the info to do it yourself. I plan to do it for the rear end and just swap the front end with the J-bike's triple.
thanks for all your help friend

Old March 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #101
Kevin H
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Kawasaki EX 250, 1997 HD Road King, 1980 HD Sportster

Quote:
Yepp. That's my motto with suspension for a street bike.

What's your weight?
Use the spring rate calculator here to calculate your ideal spring rate:http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...250R/1986-2007

If you're not a featherweight like me , your options are either find springs from racetech that match the spring rate they suggest, or you can hunt around and research spring rates from other bikes and use those OEM parts instead. Using springs from other bikes will likely be cheaper (think Ebay) but I'm not sure.

Sonic Springs has better prices than Racetech http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/...613659093b5d0a
Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #102
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdeveau View Post
i have a 1988 ninja 250 and a 1985 ninja 600 i was wondering if the break pads for the 600 would fit the 250 ?????
/moving this to its own thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #103
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

What about ignition coil and spark plug wires/leads? I think mine are bad on my pre-gen and don't want to shell out for new parts and would feel better buying a used part from a 2008-2012 bike instead of a 13 year old machine like mine.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #104
Kevin H
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Kawasaki EX 250, 1997 HD Road King, 1980 HD Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
What about ignition coil and spark plug wires/leads? I think mine are bad on my pre-gen and don't want to shell out for new parts and would feel better buying a used part from a 2008-2012 bike instead of a 13 year old machine like mine.

They wont work, the plug leads are different. I'm not sure about the coils themselves though.
Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #105
bmxr123
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 1997 ninja ex250 , 2012 ninja 250R

I have been a lurker on this forum for a LONG time and have always enjoyed soaking up the endless wealth of knowledge that is Ninjette.org. But, i have come across an issue that needs addressing before i continue with my project and decided it was time to register.

Here's the deal:

I have a 2012 ninja motor with only 5,000 miles on it, has a huge hole in the right-side case. Known-good, though. My 97 motor (roughly 18,000 miles) has a top-end noise that i have tried remedy with a cam chain cleaning and valve adjustment but to no avail.

My question is this: If they interchange, would it be easier to swap the head from the 2012 motor to the 97 motor or should i just split and swap the cases to the 2012 motor and run with that? This is also, of course, in inquiry as to whether or not either of these tasks is possible, as i have swapped complete pre-gen motors into J models and vice versa(just requires the chopping of the stator plugs and a quick soldering) but am unsure of the interchangeability of the cases or head,top end,etc.

they look the same, but looks can turn out to be deceiving once you get on the inside.

thanks in advance for any insight on this.
bmxr123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #106
bmxr123
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 1997 ninja ex250 , 2012 ninja 250R

I guess that was a pretty technical question. Didnt really expect a response, but a guy can dream right?!
bmxr123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #107
PHMCS
Phoenix Salvage

Name: Mac

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

While it may not be terribly helpful at the moment, I too have been contemplating the full front fork/wheel/brake and rear swaps from an 09 into my 07. I have all of the parts from the 09 sitting around, more or less ready to go, but figured I'd go ahead and swap in a new sprocket set/chain while I'm taking everything apart.

Once I get those together (and maybe a diablo rosso II for the rear, if my wallet can bear) and can find some time, I'd be more than happy to document everything if there is interest
PHMCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #108
Prof._HH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): FJR, EX250, ZX6r

Anyone who's done the 17" wheel swap have info about the speedo?

I have an pre-gen with the 17" wheel kit from Jeff. Converting the bike back to street use and need a working speedo.
Prof._HH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #109
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof._HH View Post
Anyone who's done the 17" wheel swap have info about the speedo?

I have an pre-gen with the 17" wheel kit from Jeff. Converting the bike back to street use and need a working speedo.
You can use an aftermarket hall-effect speedometer (Koso, Trail Tech, etc).

Old September 4th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #110
Rassie
Motorcycle bon vivant...

Name: Rassie

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja, 250R Ninja, SV650S, CB350, GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R

Anyone know if a 2008 to 2012 motor will fit in a pre-gen frame. I have access to a 2002 with a blown motor and I was offered a 2012 motor with less than 1000 miles.

To Clarify, I am sure it can be done, that is not what I am asking. I am asking if anyone here has done it already and if it is a straight fit or do you require modifications.

NESBA 13, 300 Ninja, 250r Ninja, 06 SV650, Ninja ex250, CB350, CL90 ,GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R www.mybikeproject.com
Rassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #111
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassie View Post
Anyone know if a 2008 to 2012 motor will fit in a pre-gen frame. I have access to a 2002 with a blown motor and I was offered a 2012 motor with less than 1000 miles.

To Clarify, I am sure it can be done, that is not what I am asking. I am asking if anyone here has done it already and if it is a straight fit or do you require modifications.
You need to modify the engine mounts (or just buy the '08-'12 mounts?) and the exhuast will not mount without modification. If you get an '08 exhaust you have to leave the lower fairing off.

Old September 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #112
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Name: Rusty

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250, 96 VFR750, 79 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxr123 View Post
I have been a lurker on this forum for a LONG time and have always enjoyed soaking up the endless wealth of knowledge that is Ninjette.org. But, i have come across an issue that needs addressing before i continue with my project and decided it was time to register.

Here's the deal:

I have a 2012 ninja motor with only 5,000 miles on it, has a huge hole in the right-side case. Known-good, though. My 97 motor (roughly 18,000 miles) has a top-end noise that i have tried remedy with a cam chain cleaning and valve adjustment but to no avail.

My question is this: If they interchange, would it be easier to swap the head from the 2012 motor to the 97 motor or should i just split and swap the cases to the 2012 motor and run with that? This is also, of course, in inquiry as to whether or not either of these tasks is possible, as i have swapped complete pre-gen motors into J models and vice versa(just requires the chopping of the stator plugs and a quick soldering) but am unsure of the interchangeability of the cases or head,top end,etc.

they look the same, but looks can turn out to be deceiving once you get on the inside.

thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Personally I think it would be easier to swap the top ends I know alot of the internal components are interchangeable pistons piston rings (ok well that is really all that I know but I would think that you could just swap the cam shafts and maybe the timing chain and be done. I haven't dug that deep into my engine yet so all speculation.

Rustitution is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #113
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Name: Rusty

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250, 96 VFR750, 79 Yamaha XS1100 Special

on that note has anyone swapped levers for the new gen on to the pre gen? I am probably just going to buy and try it and if it doesn't work will send them back but i figured I would ask because I'm getting conflicting answers in my search
Rustitution is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 08:22 PM   #114
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustitution View Post
on that note has anyone swapped levers for the new gen on to the pre gen? I am probably just going to buy and try it and if it doesn't work will send them back but i figured I would ask because I'm getting conflicting answers in my search
I've got newgen levers on a pregen but they came perch and all.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM   #115
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

I have a 2000 and have swapped in the 2008+

Kush drive
stock rear shock

I have ordered the swing arm caps and front sprocket cover, and will update when verified.

*edit 08 JAN 2015*
I see that another person has confirmed that the swing arm caps work - https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208975

*edit 10 JAN 2015*
I installed the 2008+ sprocket cover today. It fits well. I'm not sure it is a 100% fit, but at least 95%. The top bolt, closest to the frame wanted to pull the top in a bit too much. When I have time, and better light, I'll inspect closer. But, as a direct bolt on - as-is, I say it is fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1019.jpg (101.0 KB, 13 views)

Last futzed with by spent_too_much; January 10th, 2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: adding pic
spent_too_much is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:27 AM   #116
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I believe I've seen both done somewhere on the site here.

Looks like the newgen oil screen fits. Any benefit? Aside from the replaceable aspect if you crossthread/strip the pregen drain bolt, does the newgen one hold more oil volume orrrr...? I have an external stand and no center stand, so draining oil while on the side stand isn't really a benefit or problem either way for me. Something I'll consider if it would be helpful, I'll ignore if it's not helpful.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changin...ver/drain_plug

The only thing I might use off this is the metal gasket vs the paper one because those are also interchangeable

Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #117
Rassie
Motorcycle bon vivant...

Name: Rassie

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja, 250R Ninja, SV650S, CB350, GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
You need to modify the engine mounts (or just buy the '08-'12 mounts?) and the exhuast will not mount without modification. If you get an '08 exhaust you have to leave the lower fairing off.
Thanks appreciate the info, will definitely come in handy when I finish my current 300 Ninja vintage cafe racer project.

NESBA 13, 300 Ninja, 250r Ninja, 06 SV650, Ninja ex250, CB350, CL90 ,GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R www.mybikeproject.com
Rassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #118
Jetfoi
ninjette.org member

Name: Thom

Motorcycle(s): 2013 zx6r and 1995 250r

So maybe I missed it but does the +08 front end line up and work for the pregen or 96 250?

Old March 26th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #119
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes. Same size stem bearings.

Triple, stem, forks, front brake, handlebars, front wheel. It's a direct swap.

Old April 6th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #120
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250F

Just for clarification, A few others and I have found out that the new gen fork spring should fit in the pregen forks. I will confirm once they arrive and I do my fork seals and intiminators
ieathonda is offline   Reply With Quote