Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Anyone tried this? (waterproof spray)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmMGv8A4QvE

I live in washington, so this would be good on my visor. Anybody know if it corrodes plastic or can eat away at the tint?
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Sounds like its going to cause hazing on the visor when they tell you it dries to a milky film. There's something just for our plastic visors that does this but it only last a few rides and you have to do it again.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
.....I live in washington, so this would be good on my visor. Anybody know if it corrodes plastic or can eat away at the tint?

Don't use a water repellant made for fabric or any other surface on a plastic visor. Use only products mad for plastics. Pledge, Plexus or Original Spray Cleaner and Polish. A coat of wax also makes bugs easier to wipe off.

After application, when the water accumulates, turn your head slightly to the side and let the wind blow the water off your visor.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Don't use a water repellant made for fabric or any other surface on a plastic visor. Use only products mad for plastics. Pledge, Plexus or Original Spray Cleaner and Polish. A coat of wax also makes bugs easier to wipe off.

After application, when the water accumulates, turn your head slightly to the side and let the wind blow the water off your visor.
I agree with this. Turning your head is pretty effective, otherwise use the finger of your glove to quickly give your visor a wipe
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Or get some heads that have a windshield wiper
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #6
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

The ol' Left-right-left always worked for me! Forget milky haze!

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #7
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

NikWax Visor Proof

Riding in Oregon, rain is a given. For several years i used a little rubber blade that came on a pair of gloves, but it finally tore off, so I ended up gluing a bit of regular wiper blade onto the base of the original. It worked okay, but I would have to replace it occasionally.

So I know a couple riders locally who were talking about this stuff that is just AMAZING. "Really"? "OMG, yes, its incredible, its like water beads and runs off your visor when you are just standing still". Okay, sounds too good to be true.

But hell, I've wasted more than $12 on stuff that doesn't work...so when I found a shop that had some, I bought a bottle.

You clean your visor...it seems to work very best on new, clean, scratch free visors. Mine wasn't new, and does have some fine scratches. You spray it on, and buff it and buff it and buff it, like with a clean microfiber cloth. I won't look like you did anything. I actually put my visor under a stream of water in a sink and the droplets really did seem to not stick or wet the surface. It was a bit like water droplets bouncing on a hot frying pan.

So the next time it was rainy I reapplied it before my ride, and HOLY COW...this stuff works. The slightest water beading occurred right on the centerline of the visor, even at something like 20 mph the air motion was enough to entirely sweep water droplets off of the sides of the visor. Even a slight turn of the head caused the water on the centerline to slide instantly off. At anything faster than about 20 mph the droplets hit, shatter and just disappear.

Its not magic, I have no association with the co. but I am SERIOUSLY impressed with the performance of this product, and I am usually not easily impressed by stuff like this. Next to real rain gear I feel this is the best bang for the buck related to riding in the rain.

Last futzed with by voidrider; June 19th, 2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #8
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidrider View Post
stuff
How long does one application typically last?
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Living on the "dry" side of Oregon, I can't attest to "days", but I've gone for rides where there were showers off and on all day, and it seemed to be nearly as good, if not as good at the end of the day as it was at the start.

It seems to be fine for multiple days when short grocery runs occurred. I didn't feel the need to reapply for over a week in this situation.

It also seemed to help keep snow from piling up on the visor, sheds slush fast! DAMHIK!

The effect definitely degrades with sprays of dirty water from passing or oncoming traffic, riding in dusty conditions, or insect strikes. Frankly, cleaning or buffing means you will need to re-apply.

An application seems to be 3-4 sprays, the 4.2 oz/ bottle should last most of a year, if not longer.

Visor Proof does not take the place of a good cleaning solution, or polish, but for water beading, it works better than anything else I have ever found.

Last futzed with by voidrider; June 19th, 2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: adding final comment
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #10
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Since we're all friends here, and I can trust y'all to be discrete, I'll tell you that my wife and I use this all the time. It's great. Spray it on and 10, 15, 45 minutes later, when we're done, there's no mess whatsoever. Awesome!

We did run into problems, however, when we used it for other applications. For instance, we sprayed it all over our motorcycles and saw a DRAMATIC decrease in performance. We thought we'd be all smart, fool Uncle Physics and cut right through all that drag like a [perfect metaphor], but what happened next we weren't prepared for. After applying the spray, we couldn't get our bikes to go over 20 MPH... indicated, of course. Upon further experimentation and research, which caused a brief hospital stay, we discovered that the spray disrupted the laminar flow over our bikes. Uncle physics was really pissed at us. Fortunately for us the spray eventually wore off, we apologized PROFUSELY, and Uncle Physics finally forgave us. We're back to normal now, but now only use the spray on our deck, some concrete walkways and Johnson.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote