ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old October 25th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Dang this girl is good

I have a pretty good Irish background. My wife is almost full Irish.

Anyway, I have loved Irish music for ages. I even own a bodhran (Irish drum). Still have not mastered it. It is a real challenge to play.

I was searching videos last night and came across this one. She is pretty good with the penny whistle (tin whistle).

Link to original page on YouTube.

I also like this version that the Corrs did of Toss the Feathers:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Carolina plays the bodhran...while Andrea plays the penny whistle. Andrea can fly on that thing. Watching her fingers is just crazy.

I think I need to pick up an instrument again. I have tons of "hobbies" but none really relax me. Most are rather physical. Drawing kind of relaxes me, but being hunched over a drawing table or sitting at a computer for hours isn't really relaxing. So I think I will pick up my flute once again. Before you start laughing, it is a decent choice since it is small and...well, doesn't require any reeds. I have an alto sax, but that is rather bulky, so are my guitars and my trombone (and keyboard).

I played it previously for a while, just had to put it down because school and life got in the way. I figure if I simply just play for 30-60 min a day, that will be something. I think it would be a good way to unwind after work as well. I don't expect much from it since I only spent $90 on it several years back. I looked into a penny whistle...but I am not going there. Simply because I don't need to spend any more money on instruments. I already have a sax, trombone, two guitars, two bass guitars, a keyboard, a flute and a bodhran. No mas! At least not until I mastered the flute again. I think it would work well learning the flute, because it will improve my dexterity, so if I decide to pick up the penny whistle, my fingers will already be trained for it (for the most part). Plus, it is rather easy finding music to play along with if you have a flute than if you have a trombone or sax. Lots of good Irish music out there that is just accompaniment. I also have some cheap editors so I can crop, cut, punch, etc (i.e. move) the music to set things up how I want to. It leaves a lot of windows open. Plus if I get it down enough, I can play at church next summer (after my job ends in June).

Oh, and that is something else...they extended my plant closing date once again. It is stressful in that things are not set in stone. I'd be more relaxed if I actually knew that "this is the date and it is not changing". I honestly think this date is now the official date for me no matter what. I'm tired of this extension bs.

Ok, back to topic...music. Yeah. I like music.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #2
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Love that stuff. My grandparents were the first generation here in the states. Growing up grandpa always tried to teach me about Fiach McHugh, Easter Rising, etc. At the time I couldn't be bothered but now I'm totally with it. I can listen to that all day. The Corrs are pretty easy to look at too.

Old October 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

All of them except the brother.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong