ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old October 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windscreen Ongoing Review.

Here is the ZG Page.
http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sp...ptbks/281.html

It retails for $90, though you could probably find it around for that or less, with shipping. I bought mine in person through Cycle Gear (www.cyclegear.com), in a big order using my 15%-off MSF discount (a one-time discount you get with the MSF course card), so I paid like $83 or something for it.

When I first picked up the screen from CycleGear, I thought it looked a lot smaller than I thought it would. I was expecting more of a "bubble" shape, rather than just being longer. I even checked to make sure I didn't get the Double Bubble.

Just looking at it:
On the bike you can really tell the physical difference. It isn't in-your-face or anything, but it does subtly give it a more "sport touring" look (well, that makes sense I guesss...). I was worried it would look goofy and I would find myself eager to put the stocker back on as soon as it warmed up a bit in the spring, but it looks perfectly fine and intentional. I got the clear model because I ride at night just as much as during the day. Will post more pics later.

First ride today. Only probably 5 miles total, but with speeds ranging from 0-100mph (actual).

I am 6', but with the torso of your average person of mabe 5'8". So, if you are 5'8" with about a 30" endseam, you are probably about where I'm at height-wise (I have a 34" endseam in dress pants).

Sitting upright:
There was a little less wind hitting my chest, but I couldn't feel any difference in the wind hitting my neck. Air is possibly slightly quieter going around my helmet. Overall, only a marginal difference to me. I was worried in hotter weather it will keep air from blowing over me, but I don't think it will be a huge deal if I stay upright. I noticed this in the first half mile, and was actually a little disappointed. *edit* Thinking about it, I do have pretty long arms (6'2" wingspan) which would put my chest further away from the windscreen than most people, which would reduce the apparent effectiveness of the screen. So, keep that in mind that most people would probably be closer to the screen in the upright position than I am.

Resting my elbows on my knees (so I am kindof hunched over with my elbows bent at about 90 degrees--I often do this on the highway for comfort) :
Then, I moved to this position. Here there is a MUCH more noticable difference! No wind hitting my neck, and I didn't feel anything around my shoulders or the back of my neck either on the highway (60-80mph) or on city streets (30-50mph). This is the main reason I bought this shield: for protecting me from the cold. I think this will do a great job when riding in this position, which is quite comfortable anyways. There was still some wind noise in my helmet from the wind hitting the top of my helmet / visor and my helmet vents, but it was noticably quieter than when riding in this position behind the stock screen. My helmet is also loud in general, so that was also a nice relief. I have noticed the noise will start to get to me after a good 15 or 20 minutes of cruising on the highway even in this position, so this will be a pleasant change.

Lying on the tank:
HUGE difference! This was only a secondary concern when buying this screen, but I was amazed. When lying on the tank, even at 100mph (109 on my speedo), there was no wind noise at all. Before, I got about half wind noise and about half engine noise, when lying my chest against the tank and looking through the stock windscreen. Granted, it was a short trip so I might not remember with complete accuracy, but even if "no wind noise" was an exaggeration, there still could have been no more than 5% wind noise within the overall noise I was hearing. My first thought (well, second, compared to watching the road :P ) was that it sounded like I was riding on a dyno! Again, HUGE difference. I was also extremely pleased to see the ZG screen is as clear and optically correct as my helmet's visor, while the stock screen is a little cloudier and almost distractingly distorting.

The Double Bubble version might be a good in-between for those wanting a little more wind protection / reduction in turbulance, while keeping a sportier profile. Hell, it might be a good chunk as effective as the Sport Touring version. I have no idea. But to anyone who commutes and wants to reduce wind noise and turbulance I would whole-heartedly recommend this product if you don't mind losing a little bit of the sporty profile.

Here is the DIY install of the ZG Double Bubble, with many more pics:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13507

Last futzed with by JMcDonald; October 17th, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Links and a couple of ZG pics.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I rode some more on the highway today, intentiinally staying upright. At highway speeds (70-85), there is a much more significant reducton in turbulance when sitting upright, compared to lower speeds. So, consider this an update to what I said before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #3
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Dunno what changed, but for my commute this morning I intenionally wore less than I normally would. It was around 59ish degrees when I left, and normally I'd have at least a hoody under my mesh jacket (which keeps me dry even in 100+ degree weather) and a neoprene neck covering. But, today I just threw on a long-sleeved T-shirt under my jacket and headed out. The only clue I have as to how effective the shield was was that I didn't ever notice being cold.

I suppose this is why this is an ongoing review .

It might rain tonight so if I get caught in it coming home I will mention how it does.

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM   #4
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I wanted to add that when riding 2-up on the highway (60-80mph), with this shield there is noticably less buffeting between the two helmets. Some is still there, but it didn't wiggle my head around like before.

Old October 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM   #5
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I have a DB windscreen. Its kinda funny cause sometimes I'll ride around and the wind is nice and stable sitting straight up and sometimes it knocks me around a bit. Got any pics? curious to see how that windscreen looks on the bike

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM   #6
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I can't get my FTP to work, but I found some pics on the web. Mine is the clear screen, but here are some examples:

As stated, if you are wanting to blend in with the supersports at Bike Night, this probably isn't for you. If you do a lot of longer-distance riding, commuting (like I do), especially when the weather isn't a nice 75 degrees (like I do), it is a worthwhile investment. Just looking at the bike I hardly notice it anymore. It makes the cool mornings much more pleasant.

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM   #7
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Of the three wind shields I have the ZG ST is my favorite.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #8
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Another example:

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I have the ZG DB and the mounts are solid. The rubber wellnuts on the other hand are a pain in the butt. I think everybody should have atleast 10 extra in their toolbox just in case.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #10
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Hey, those are pictures of my bike

I loved the screen. I would recommend it to anyone who rides for longer distances or who doesn't stop riding when the temperatures drop.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #11
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, the colder temps was what drove my purchase of this windscreen, and since then I have definitely begun to reconsider a naked bike for my future.

And yeah, no worries at all about the tabs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #12
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Yeah I saw those pics what I meant was:

hahaha I don't know I kinda want to see the bike in a more dynamic pose those angles still have me between looks good and I don't know if I'd want that on my bike

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #13
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Wow, I didn't realize you could upload pics directly to this site! Here is the only one I saved. Unfortunately, it is at the worst possible angle and makes it look gigantic. Do realize that even the stock screen would be about as high as the stickers on the ZG screen, from this angle. But hey, at least now you will know what it looks like from the worst perspective .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250r_side_sport_touring_screen.jpg (145.6 KB, 87 views)

Old October 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #14
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Yesterday it was 38 degrees in te morning. On my commute I found I could rest my hand on the tank, and then lay on my hand, and have a pretty comfortable way to keep my entire torso and everything except my top vents out of the wind . My hand might fall asleep after a while, but its still warmer than on te grip, and if i had a tank bag I think I could stay like that for a while .
Posted via Mobile Device

Old December 21st, 2010, 11:03 PM   #15
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

When my bike flipped over the curb during my low-side, the windscreen broke. Being optimistic, I trimmed it down a bit shorter than stock just to try the "street fighter" look for a day. No doubt, it definitely looked better just sitting there last night. On the ride home from work, it was like 65 degrees or so, and it didn't feel bad. It was obviously windier, and I will say I was surprised at how "clean" the air was--it was not as loud as I thought, and the buffeting wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be.

This morning, however, I get dressed like I normally would for a mid-40s ride: long-sleeved cotton short, hoodie, wind liner, and mesh jacket. I hadn't gone 5 seconds on the road before I realized how much wind the Sport Touring screen kept off my chest, which is obviously a big deal when it gets colder. I had to bust out my rain / wind jacket on the ride home just to stay comfortable.

I actually really missed being able to crouch down onto the tank and have a quiet, peaceful ride. On more open roads, I will rest my left elbow on my knee and rest my chin on my fist, and just enjoy the ride. Doing so with the short windscreen gets you pretty much nothing, as being closer to the bike makes the wind noise actually louder, and the wind turbulance puts just about as much air onto your neck and chest as when sitting upright.

So yeah, if you do a lot of riding in these colder temps there is definitely a noticable difference. I had figured I could make it a while before replacing the screen, but I am going to order another one ASAP.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #16
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Looks good!
I would like to go with the double-bubble windscreen for my Ninja rather than the Touring though.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Den
ninjette.org member

Name: Denis

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R(sold); '10 ER-6F

I went for the S/Touring option though...

In my opinion:

Stock Screen
looks +++ practicality/aerodynamics ++ stability +++++

Double Bubble
looks +++++ practicality/aerodynamics +++ stability +++

Sports Touring
looks +++ practicality/aerodynamics +++++ stability ++

(other people's opinions may vary)

It's really up to you what the purpose of the Mod you intend to have in the first place...
Den is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM   #18
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

Name: Kensai

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Ninja 250R

How do you define your stability ratings of each screen type?
fujimumu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:22 AM   #19
Den
ninjette.org member

The bigger/higher it is - the more it acts as a sail...
I've noticed that at low speeds in windy weather, the windscreen is catching some wind. The bike feels being thrown around.
That's what I meant by stability.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:33 AM   #20
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I hardly notice wind, and I live in windy ass Oklahoma :P . Not even anything from Semi's. Sideways gusts didn't feel any different to me with either screen.

Old December 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #21
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I hardly notice wind, and I live in windy ass Oklahoma :P . Not even anything from Semi's. Sideways gusts didn't feel any different to me with either screen.
I'm originally from Oklahoma also and I have to agree with you. The more wind the less you can tell the difference between them. I'm currently running the double bubble not for looks but for clearance of my GPS. I wanted my GPS above my speedo but not blocking my speedo. My concern with the Touring screen is the angle of it. The more the angle gets closer to 90 degrees the more chances you run of it breaking from a rock flung from a large truck. If that happened it would probably scare the crap out of me and I might wreck (most likely not but it's a possibility). I started riding because I like the wind and the freedom. If I was worried about wind and rain then I'd drive my car but there's no fun in that.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #22
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

If an object heavy enough to break this windscreen is coming at me, I'd be HAPPY to have my windscreen break while deflecting it, than have it the object sock me in the chest :P .

I got a new screen ordered, and I seriously am dying for it to arrive, haha.

Old December 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #23
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Quote:
If an object heavy enough to break this windscreen is coming at me, I'd be HAPPY to have my windscreen break while deflecting it, than have it the object sock me in the chest :P .

I got a new screen ordered, and I seriously am dying for it to arrive, haha.
I feel the exact same.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #24
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Heh. You should take a picture and send an e-mail ZG. They might use your story on their website or something and give you a discount or something.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #25
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

One more note that is really probably pretty inconsequential. The more "bowed out" profile of these windscreens gives much more room in that little space above the gauge cluster. After installing it, I found I was always stuffing burritos and burgers and gloves and such in there.

Old December 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #26
jfauerba
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '09 Red Ninja 250r

Quote:
One more note that is really probably pretty inconsequential. The more "bowed out" profile of these windscreens gives much more room in that little space above the gauge cluster. After installing it, I found I was always stuffing burritos and burgers and gloves and such in there.
This helped me a lot to stuff in:

1) radar detector

2) LCD for Rear view camera similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM35R-3...556712&sr=1-22
(I also velcro a GPS (mio c32) when needed on top of it)

3) Front face video camera like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pinecom-720SXG.../ref=pd_cp_e_1 )

All mounted on a home made bracket that is bolted to the inside mirror bolts
jfauerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM   #27
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

I wish they'd release a sport touring windshield for the classic Ninja 250s. I emailed ZG about it. Unfortunately, not gonna happen.
Tony

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM   #28
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Ah yeah that sucks!

I wanted to add that I really miss the calmer highway riding of the ST windscreen . I mean calm in both the noise when I tuck my head down a bit, and in the significant reduction in buffeting. The replacement should be here soon, though, I think.

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #29
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

When it's 95f+ in the summer, is the wind your friend or enemy???
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #30
Den
ninjette.org member

Friend!

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #31
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Thanks...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #32
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, still definitely friendly .

I finally got the replacement windscreen in. A miscommunication with my order added several weeks of delay. But, oh how I've missed it. A mild crouch keeps the wind above my chin bar, and a nice tuck makes for a surprisingly calm and pleasy highway ride at 90+ .

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #33
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I had the ZG Sport/Touring on my Ninjette and it made riding a lot more civilized. You really appreciate that windsield in the rain.

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #34
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

One thing I missed is the ST windscreen noticably compensates for underdressing. Whereas without the screen, I might need to add the wind liner between my jacket and a hoodie, the liner can stay in my backpack and I'll be as comfortable as before. The main benefit of this is when I get to class I really only have to take off my jacket, rather than jacket and then liner (my liner gets all caught and tangled in the sleeves when I try to actually keep it fastened to the jacket, so it's easier to simply wear them as separates). The end result is I look a little less goofy standing in the middle of class undressing, and I have less to bother with when I leave.

And yeah, lying on the tank, propping my chin up with my left wrist, is actually a nice way to roll. Relaxed, warm, and hearing pretty much just the peaceful hum of the engine :P

Old June 5th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #35
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen first ride

I got a short ride in with the new Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen on my 09 Ninja. It is ridiculous how quiet it is when tucked. If you want to know what it will sound like to ride in a tuck on the highway with this screen, just sit in the parking lot and rev the bike to 8000. It truly is that quiet. there is no buffeting around your shoulders. Your hands. Mirrors. Nothing. Dead silence except for the exhaust which is pretty quiet with a stock bike. Very easy to get your head under the boundry without ducking beyond the natural posture you get when laying on the tank. I would have to swap the windscreens back and forth to compare the difference when sitting upright but I would say that the sport touring is also ok for my upright riding with the air blast just at the top of the shoulders and at the chin. More rides will tell if the handling has changed slightly. I though I might have felt more tendancy for the bike to wander a couple times. Maybe the front of the bike is a little lighter at speed? Still, if you commute in a tuck, this screen is fantastic. You will finaly want to put your music in your helmet and be able to hear it like you were standing still. Buyers should go with the clear version as you look through the windshield a good 4 inches down when tucked. Decent optics with only a few flaws here and there if you really look for them at the kitchen table while polishing before putting it on. Zero Gravity should use some foam first and then the see through display bag. I wouldn't be suprised if someone might get some rub marks during shipping depending how it was packed. I will post some pics next time I feel like washing the bike. The headlight still has a few bugs on it from a night ride last week. Excellent purchase. I can't wait to get my rack built so I can start to use my Ninja daily.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote