ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1
MarcoPolo
ninjette.org member

Name: Marco

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Ninja sold, title never transferred, bike used in chase!

Okay! So i haven't been around lately partially due to selling my 250 and being busy. So, yesterday I get a call from my roommate which is actually a cop telling me i was involved in a police chase on my 250 ditched it and ran into a river and got away. At the time I was shopping at a grocery store and they did catch the guy. I told the cop I sold my bike, but honestly I have no proof. I didn't make a bill of sale just signed over the title. Now the guy probably ran because he did not have an endorsement (I had to drive the bike home for him). Since they caught him I know I wont be in trouble but is the bike still legally mine? I'm assuming the guys going to jail and since the bike is impounded i'm still the owner. By the way I live in Michigan so I don't know if that effects the laws somehow. Poor little 250 I hope he didn't beat her up too bad in the chase

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Do you still have insurance on it?
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #3
MarcoPolo
ninjette.org member

No I took it off when I sold it

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #4
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I would imagine you could fight to claim the bike is yours. I would think the only way to do so would be to claim you never sold it. That would be hard to prove because (A) how did that guy get your bike (B) if you claim he stole it, why didn't you report it (C) you already told the cops you sold it.

But honestly, IDK.
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #5
MarcoPolo
ninjette.org member

Yeah that's what i was thinking. I mean im not really looking to fight for it, I sold it fair and square. Just if its impounded im the only one who can get it out

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #6
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

Running from the cops for not having an endorsement seems awfully illogical. Gotta be more to the story, I mean if I'm planning on a perfect vehicle to run from the cops a bright yellow 250 is not my first choice....nor second....
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

its okay OP, it was yellow.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

You signed over the title and he paid you for it. He is the legal owner of the bike.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02337 View Post
Running from the cops for not having an endorsement seems awfully illogical. Gotta be more to the story, I mean if I'm planning on a perfect vehicle to run from the cops a bright yellow 250 is not my first choice....nor second....
Yeah, like WHY he doesn't have an endorsement. Probably can't get one and will go to jail anyway for violation of parole.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Why didn't you file that "release of liability" form with your DMV as soon as you sold it? In California at least, you can even do it online. Then at least there is a record that you sold it, even if the dipwad never re-registers it or obtains a new title.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #11
MarcoPolo
ninjette.org member

Hey the yellow grew on me. Okay I was just curious. Every other time i've sold a bike or vehicle I just signed over the title and never had any problems. I guess from now on ill make a copy of the title or a bill of sale. Well it is a college campus, maybe he was doin a little drinking

Old October 14th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Weird. Looks like there is no official way to do that in Michigan. They recommend actually going to the DMV with the buyer and seller together to transfer the title. Sure, that must happen alot. But - they then recommend to at least keep a copy of the signed over title or other doc that says you sold it.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7...5461--,00.html

Quote:
Seller's Responsibilities - Selling a Vehicle

When selling your vehicle, accompany the purchaser of the vehicle to a secretary of state branch office to assure the title is transferred into your purchaser's name. If you cannot do this, maintain a record of the sale for not less than 18 months. A "record of the sale" can be either a photocopy of the reassigned title or a form or document that includes the year, make, vehicle identification number, name, address, driver license number, and signature of the person to whom the vehicle is sold and the purchase price and date of sale of the vehicle.

Under Michigan law, a seller is not liable for any damages or a violation of law that subsequently results from the use of ownership of the vehicle by the purchaser if the owner maintains proof of sale as noted above.

As seller, complete your part on the title assignment by entering:

The vehicle mileage
The selling date
The selling price
Your signature
Note: If there is more than one owner named on the front of the title, all owners must sign.

Examine your title for any liens (bank loans). If there is a lien it must be released by the lienholder in the appropriate signature space, or you may attach a lien termination statement from the financial institution.

Have the buyer enter their name, address, and signature in the buyer's section of the title assignment.

Do not make any changes on the title. Any alterations will void it! This includes erasing, scratching out, use of white-out, etc.

Also Important:

Keep your license plate! Never leave it on the vehicle or let the buyer borrow it. You can transfer the plate to another vehicle you may own or purchase.
The buyer may drive the vehicle home without a license plate using the most direct route if they carry the assigned title from the seller.
Cancel your insurance coverage on the vehicle sold.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Why didn't you file that "release of liability" form with your DMV as soon as you sold it? In California at least, you can even do it online. Then at least there is a record that you sold it, even if the dipwad never re-registers it or obtains a new title.
this.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Your in for a **** storm. You're going to be responsible for all those impound fees
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #15
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Your bike, you're an accessory!

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #16
MarcoPolo
ninjette.org member

Well I guess i'm just going to call the police station later today and see if i can hear anything. Otherwise ill just wait and see what happens. Interesting night.
damn college kids hope the kid had a nice swim in a freezing river.

Old October 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #17
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
Well I guess i'm just going to call the police station later today and see if i can hear anything. Otherwise ill just wait and see what happens. Interesting night.
damn college kids hope the kid had a nice swim in a freezing river.
I believe if you call the Police station you will hear someone ask if they can help you and/or why you are calling.

It's nice that after all that has happened you hope the kid had a nice swim, even though the water was cold. Most people would be pissed.

Old October 15th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #18
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

I'm lol-ing at the thougth of runing from the cops on a Ninja 250. The cop could just pull up beside you, roll down his window and ask you wtf you are doing.

Old October 15th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I'm lol-ing at the thougth of runing from the cops on a Ninja 250. The cop could just pull up beside you, roll down his window and ask you wtf you are doing.
Not if you're lane-splitting through traffic.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #20
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The real question is, if you are running from the cops on a 250, will they know it?

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #21
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
You signed over the title and he paid you for it. He is the legal owner of the bike.
The legal owner of the bike is whomever's name is listed as owner in the state title/registration database. The excuse police hear most often in cases like this is "It wasn't me, I sold that to someone a long time ago!", and they hear it so often that they just assume it's a lie. A good alibi is always handy in cases like this. For the record, many states allow you to submit a record of sale, though the buyer still has to do the work to get the title in their name and out of the seller's name. Whenever possible when dealing with a stranger, it's always best to handle the sale at the title office and have the title transferred legally on the spot.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote