Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 17th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

REVIEW: HELD Phantom II Race Gloves

You requested it, and here it is!

The ALL-NEW Held Phantom II Race Gloves (successor to the original Held Phantom Gloves).

Now if you haven't read my crash review on the older model click here.

HELD PHANTOM II REVIEW:

The first thing I noticed was the gloves were buttoned to the cardboard backing. I’ve never seen this on any of the HELD gloves before. The gloves now have a button on a leather tab sown to the bottom gauntlet which allows you to conjoin the two gloves. I love the idea as I’m always misplacing the other glove. The only downside is the tab sticks out like a sore thumb. However I believe one has the option of removing it by simply undoing the thread. That or you can just tuck it under the gauntlet. For now I think I'll just leave it as is.

FIT: The gloves felt slimmer all around especially the fingers and dorsum side of the hand. But I know they will stretch once I've broken them in. But I'm not so sure I want them to because they fit and feel snug right now which I like.

Now the most common mistake/complaint riders make when choosing gloves is "the gloves feel good but the fingers are too long". Well you won't find a glove that fits your fingers to the very tip. And there's a reason for this. But if you do find one you may want to consider a size up. Here's the reason why: In the event of a crash, once your hands touch ground the seams are under a great amount of stress. And if your fingers were already touching the inside tip of the fingers imagine the additional pressure and stress your fingers would place on the seams upon impact/slide. And as a result the seams would burst open. This is one of the reasons why gloves burst open on the fingers. That and poor design/stitching.

The titanium knuckle plating on the dorsum side of the hand feels great! I have to admit, when they first released the design I was not fond of the titanium knuckle plates. It looked as if it would restrict movement but they've designed the gloves so that the plastic plates holding the titanium knuckles flexes/bends and moves with your knuckles. I really REALLY like this!

INSIDE PADDING: The Kevlar padding around the wrist is much thinner than before. Note I said padding, not armor. I think this was a wise move on HELD because all that extra padding isn't necessary especially since they would be worn over your leathers.

Something you should know: kangaroo skin is not as soft as cowhide. Not to say kangaroo skin isn't soft but if you have delicate skin expect some discomfort during your initial ride, or maybe slightly longer. But what you should know is just how much stronger & abrasive resistant kangaroo skin is compared to cowhide. Which is why suits worn by MotoGP racers are made out of kangaroo not cowhide.

ARMOR: The outer armor on the wrist sport an plate that has the look of stingray but is not--they look & feel like tiny marble beads. Whereas the older version used a carbon like weave. They incorporated the same armor for the knuckles on the fingers--the previous model used stingray.

THE PALM: Now here is where I have may have some concerns. In the older version they not only had stingray incorporated into the palm (which the successor has too) but it also had kangaroo skin double if not triple layered on the outside palm. The Phantom IIs only have what appears to be one/two layered. Considering how well kangaroo skin is abrasive resistant, I'm really not that concerned. But we'll really know when I crash in them.

Phantom II:

Titan: The Titans are their high-end model which provide more protection at higher prices so it's really not a fair comparison. However I wanted to give you an idea of what I was describing.

Final conclusion: From a scale 1 to 10 (ten being AWESOME) I would give the Phantom II an 8. The reason for this is I wished they would have extended the stingray longer across the palm area like they did with the Titans. That would have given them a 9. Why 9 and not a 10? If they added Kevlar sliders like they did with the Titans then it would have been a 10!. But that's why they have the Titans, right? Regardless I really think the Phantom II are better than the first version and I'm really happy with my choice. I can't wait to ride in them this month (Oct. 25th).

I highly recommend these gloves if you're in the market for gloves that will protect you over and over; and not see your hard earned money disappear after one or two crashes.

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I have the original Phantoms and they have the tabs to snap together
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
What the heck does "dorsum" mean?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I have the original Phantoms and they have the tabs to snap together
Really? My originals didn't. Or did it. I'll double check tonight.

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
What the heck does "dorsum" mean?
Remember being back handed across the face by your pimp? He used the dorsum side of his hand!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I belive you're thinking of "dorsal," like a dorsal fin is on the back of a dolphin
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Actually both terms are correct. But, for the sake of entertainment, let's all agree that Nemesis is wrong.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what... you haven't crash tested them yet?

Old October 17th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I belive you're thinking of "dorsal," like a dorsal fin is on the back of a dolphin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Actually both terms are correct. But, for the sake of entertainment, let's all agree that Nemesis is wrong.
Yeah beeotch. Wait...I see wut you did there! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
what... you haven't crash tested them yet?
Don't you know, now with Shawn Pen out of the picture Max is King of Crash Hill.

Old October 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
damn. i gotta get back out there and crash some more!