ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 30th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

DAS BOOT!!!!!

Meine Kupplungsseil Gummimanschette hat schließlich zu einem zusammengeschrumpft, gebrochen Stück Scheiße verschlechtert!

Basically my clutch cable rubber boot by the engine case has finally shriveled away and is now a dry, cracked piece of ****. Just sounds better in German when you're mad. Not a big or expensive part however I am due at a meeting tomorrow morning at 9 on the complete other side of Houston. And of course all motorcycle shops are closed on Mondays. Does anyone have a quick temporary fix that will last until I'm out of the meeting in the afternoon. Would it hurt to just go without that at all for the ride? I dont see it being an integral part of the bike except for keeping out unwanted dirt and debris from coating the wire. Will pick one up tonight, just hoping this is something normally carried at dealer.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Watch your language!

(I still remember enough of my high school German to know that you're a naughty potty-mouth....)

You'll be fine, assuming it's not going to rain. Even if it is, you're replacing the thing in a day anyway. You're right. The boot is just to protect the cable from water/salt etc.

On the other hand, every single nut and bolt on your bike could come undone at the same time and it would fall completely apart the moment you reach 50 mph.

Not sure which.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #3
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Angry

So after calling numerous part stores/dealers, no body carries just the rubber boot. It doesn't even have its own part number. I even called Honda and Yamaha dealers and it is the same answer at all of them, you have to buy the entire cable to get that stupid boot. Went to AutoZone and ace hardware as well, still no luck.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown

Old June 30th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Duct tape and saran wrap.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #5
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Duct tape and saran wrap.
Was probably going to do something similar, but just had an idea that might work. I have a bunch of different sizes of heat shrink tubing. Will just shrink the two ends to get the water tightness, but will have to see how it holds up to being compressed. I just dont having to pay $20-30 for a whole new cable when mine looks perfect still. It's a bloody conspiracy i tell ya. The rubber dust boot companies are in with the cable companies and are scamming us all. They make a 10 cent rubber piece that lasts a couple years and put it on a cable that cost $25 which can last 5 to indefinite years depending on how well taken care of. I will take this to congress I will!

Old June 30th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #6
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Smile

Just found these that would work just as well I'm sure. And cheap as hell for 10 of them. They are for rear bicycle brakes. Just about the same size
QuickMemo+_2015-06-30-17-20-38.jpg

Old June 30th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #7
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I wouldn't worry about it. Ride it, keep a spare clutch cable. When it breaks in a few years, replace it with another $20 cable

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #8
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Ride it, keep a spare clutch cable. When it breaks in a few years, replace it with another $20 cable
Yeah, i need to keep spare in bag anyways, just in case. Have spare headlight, tail light already

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.