ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

Clutch Issue

Okay, so i plan on lubing the clutch cable tomorrow and see if that corrects the problem, but my issue is this:

i am NOT having trouble pulling the clutch, but when i let it out it is not retracting all the way and i sometimes have to push it back to get the clutch to catch all the way. it is cold now and the colder it is the worse it is.

like i said i will lube the cable tomorrow and see if that does it... but im wondering if i should lube the clutch piece on the engine casing.

also wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
thanks for the feedback in advance 'jetters

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I think you can't engage the clutch by pushing the cable, it's the spring in the clutch that pushes the plates together. If the spring does not work as it should, there would be no way to compress the plates one against another.

The cable is probably causing friction somewhere, and it does not allow the spring to pull it back and engage the plates fully. Lubing should help. Check for fraying or any damage - if cable is causing that much friction it might be damaged, that spring is pretty strong.

Here is the link to Kelly's DIY about cable lubing.

And here is a link to a very thorough clutch plates replacement DIY. Inside you will find some more useful links to clutch lever / cable issues some of us have run into.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #3
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

When you lube it, dont forget to put a towel at the other end... it goes everywhere.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

ok, so the problem is that the bolt that holds the clutch lever on is BROKEN!
FFFAAAAAARRRRKKKKK!!!!!
i got it out but a small piece of the threaded part is still stuck in there and i dont have room to get in and twist it out w pliers sooooooo....
tomorrow i will be taking apart pretty much my whole left handlebar assembly to replace 1 stinking bolt. i hope they have a replacement at the dealership.
i also bought the $25 lube kit which included the clamp and lube... and i lubed the **** outta the cable anyway. should be awesome once i get the stupid bolt fixed.

i got new front brake pads today too (vesrah) so i will do that tomorrow too