Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old February 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 1988 EX250 Ninja

My First Track Day!

My name in Kyle and I'm an addict.

I participated in a track day with Let's Ride Track Days on Sunday, and it was an amazing experience. I think Let's Ride is a great and friendly organization and the price was worth it.

We arrived at the track around 7:30, registered, teched the bike, and waited till 8:30 for the riders meeting. First session for C group was 9:40 which consisted of following an instructor the whole session; this was pleasant. Second session I am let out first behind an instructor but we can ride at our own pace. On the out lap coming to cotton corners (configuration 13 clockwise) I came in too hot and ran off track, thinking to my self I suck... Got back on track and had a smooth session there after. Session 3 I asked for some help from an instructor on turn 2 and cotton corners, as well as body positioning.

The rest of the day went smooth. I almost high sided twice, once in turn 2, the other at uphill after cotton corner (at the crest) but managed to keep the bike under control. I had my friend record my lap times as well, last lap of the day and fastest lap of the day for me was a 2:27:8. Knowing a fast 250 time is around 2:09 I still have a lot to learn and room for improvement. I am pleased though, considering I was lapping most everyone in C group and was faster than some people in B group.

The bike ran great, but I can tell there is room for improvement in it as well. Perhaps you experts could help point me in the right direction.

First, my tire pressure for the gt501 were 28 front and 30 rear, I realized afterwards this should be the opposite. (verify?)

Second, the bike was either a)sliding both wheels b) wobbling on corner exit c)bouncing (it really only bounced in two places, cotton corners, and the straight going to lost hill)

The bike has emulators in the front, stock springs, and 15 weight oil set at 130mm. The rear has a zx6 shock. I weighed the bike at 330 wet, and I weigh 125.

I don't know if stiffer front springs would help, but I'm not bottoming out the front under hard braking.

Overall I had a great day, learned a lot, and become extremely comfortable on the bike. I can't wait to get to the track with you guys (chuckwalla this summer perhaps?).
KChatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Awesome and congrats!

Welcome to the addiction. Wait until you start racing...it's a whole new level of excitement. I kid you not!

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sweeeeeet!

what have yoou done to your rear suspension?

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

First: ditch the 501 tires, they have decent grip 1st/2nd lap but after that they just smear and slip. Get some Bridgestone BT003s, they'll have enough grip to get you where you want. Suspension sounds fine, back off your rear preload as much as you can, it should be nice and soft.

Also buttonwillow is just bumpy as ****, so its probably not the best gauge for how the bike is handling!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
SlowBoyRacing
ninjette.org member

Name: Mani

Motorcycle(s): ZX6-R and etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Awesome and congrats!

Welcome to the addiction. Wait until you start racing...it's a whole new level of excitement. I kid you not!
^^^ What he said. Racing becomes a whole different story.
SlowBoyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:57 PM   #6
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys, I would like to start club racing next year but still being a student we'll see what happens. I would like to get at least 2 more track days done this year.

Rexbo, I'm limited to the 501's or the speed demons since I have a pregen, that is unless I upgrade to the 17's, but that'll be a while.

As far as the rear suspension goes all I've done to it is the zx6 shock, which might be a little too stiff for my weight, preload is not adjustable as far as I know.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #7
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

Welcome to the track. You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM   #8
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

You will soon look at your money spending habits in motorcycle terms.
"No way I'm spending $$$ on <non-motorcycle related gadget>, that's a set of tires!" or "I can do a track day for the price of that!"

Welcome aboard.
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #9
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS73 View Post
You will soon look at your money spending habits in motorcycle terms.
"No way I'm spending $$$ on <non-motorcycle related gadget>, that's a set of tires!" or "I can do a track day for the price of that!"
Yep

Here's a question:

I've been looking at AFM and am considering racing next year after a few more track days this year; for the 250 we have the production and the superbike classes. The AFM rules state there can be no updating parts which means for me, having a pregen, I cannot upgrade to the 17" newgen wheels. Do you guys think the pregen would still be capable in production class having the 16" wheels? I figured I could be a front Pirelli BT-016 130/70/16 on the rear but cannot find a viable option for the front, maybe the sport demons or stick with the GT501 tires.

There was that thread asking if the pregen was still a capable trackbike and the general consensus was yes, if it had the newgen wheels...

The other option would be to upgrade to the newgen wheels and just run the superbike class.

Thoughts?

Old February 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #10
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Upgrade the wheels and run superbike. Wider selection on tires, not to mention better tires too.

Or, if you can swing it, get a new gen bike.
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote