Old December 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #1
ZerO
ninjette.org member

Name: tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008

175 sqft NYC condo... $175K!!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz0Z2Pi6ILj

could you? would you? why?

i think i could, but i probably couldn't . I would love to try, though! It's sort of like riding the 250... small to some, but just right for me!

...not sure about 175sqft thought

Old December 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

On what salary, in SC our income is generally less than the rest of the country (housing is cheaper here though). A good example is a Technician down here with a college degree makes less than a union operator. Personally I wouldn't spend more than $400 a month on something that tiny.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

That's just plain stupid and part of why this world is so incredibly screwed up right now.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Its redonkulous, you could buy a pretty decent sized house in rural Alabama, for that kind of money. IDK if I read it correctly, but even after they pay it off, they have to pay $700 a month in maintenance fees. Ive always wanted to move to New York for a while, but I just can't fathom that kind of cost of living.

Old December 9th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

So lets get this right, in order to afford a tiny ass apartment in a good location in NYC you need to be some sort of Executive or Doctor? God help the kids growing up in Queens.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #6
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

i live nine blocks away from this building. $1,000 per sq ft is about average in manhattan. even though you can purchase a much larger home somewhere else, their home will never ever sell for less than they paid. and there will always be a buyer/renter because they're only six blocks away from columbia university and half a block from the subway. in terms of an investment they have made an excellent choice. as for lifestyle, i don't think i could pull it off with my bicycle and shoe obsession.
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #7
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Wow. If they are paying 150k off in 2 years, that's nearly 6000 a month, not including interest. (assuming they put 20% down). Plus an additional 700 a month maintenance (which is the most absurd part to me on a place that tiny). Plus the dry cleaning bill, I'm sure that isn't cheap!

It does seem pretty cool though with how they have managed to do thing with stashing cloths around town at dry cleaners and jogging to and from work.

I think it would be cool to try, but I don't know if I could do it. I definitely couldn't share the place, there just isn't enough room for two people for me. The other problem I'd have is not having a washer and dryer.

Old December 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Sure would be nice to be so rich that you don't need to worry about cooking, doing your own laundry, and paying that outrageous amount of money for something like that. I'd like to try it some time and see how I like it.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #9
ZerO
ninjette.org member

Name: tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
i live nine blocks away from this building. $1,000 per sq ft is about average in manhattan. even though you can purchase a much larger home somewhere else, their home will never ever sell for less than they paid. and there will always be a buyer/renter because they're only six blocks away from columbia university and half a block from the subway. in terms of an investment they have made an excellent choice. as for lifestyle, i don't think i could pull it off with my bicycle and shoe obsession.
i'd definitely take the smell of shoes over kitty litter any day in that type of space!

but i agree, this investment is huge for them... not just financially, but in terms of their relationship with one another, they're almost forced to get along. There's no 'sleeping on the couch' option, here!!

Old December 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wow, that is about as big as my dorm room in tech school.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I'm just going to say I hope they won't grow tired of each other anytime soon.

I loved my 4 years old 1200 sq/ft. mini home I paid 70 K I miss it lol

Old December 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

OMG! We have more room in our sailboat. Our dimensions are 12`x 31` That`s 372 sq feet with 6`3" headroom-----didn`t cost close to that condo.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Petiteninja, Not bad for Manhattan. My realtor brother-in-law says that the three most important things in real estate are "Location,Location, Location"
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #14
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

my living situation since i've been in nyc:

2001-2002 rented a bedroom in a converted 3 bedroom (we had 2 real bedrooms and converted the 'living room' into a bedroom), my room was 12'x10' and the apt was only 700 sq ft! i paid $933/mo...

2002-2003 shared a bedroom (i was 28 at the time) with a college friend for $425/month in upper manhattan. that was tough.

2003-2004 finally my own place...9 ft wide, 25 feet long. my apartment was thinner and shorter than a subway car. $1000/month...good thing i'm petite!

2004-2006 moved in with fiancee in a rent controlled columbia professors apartment. my gawd it was huge, we had a pool table in the foyer. 2,300 sq ft and only 2,200/month

2006-now 3 bedroom apartment...mortgage + maintenance way too much!

it was hard at first, but you learn to find bars/restaurants/parties that meet your needs. it's new york, you spend your entire time out partying and go home to change, shower and catch a few hours of sleep. the couple in the article have it all figured out. i'd like to know how they deal with snow days or having to stay indoors all day...
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote